Menu

ACT test

We are in the south, so my ds is in Duke TIP, which is comparable. I cannot recall what the score requirements were, but I would imagine they would be available on their website.

Honestly, the requirement wasn't that high. I'm guessing you would need around a 20 to remain in the program. Duke's summer programs have two levels depending upon scores. "Academy" requires less than "Center."

We did do prep, and my ds did quite well. The best prep book is the REAL ACT book - it's a big, red book. You will also get a test booklet when you register. However, I would caution against using up ALL the tests in the REAL book. We had gone through all of them as well as the booklet that came after we registered which made it harder to find ways to prep when ds took it this year. The booklet, unfortunately, contained the same practice test as last year's.

I'm not positive, but I think there are different requirements for different things. For example, the scores required for the talent search are:

Grade 7 >= 550 SAT-M or 550 SAT-CR or 600 STB or 22 ACT-R or 21 ACT-M

Grade 8 >= 600 SAT-M or 600 SAT-CR or 600 STB or 24 ACT-R or 24 ACT-M

The requirements for CTY online are lower:

http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/admissions.html#Grades7andAbove

As far as review, w/my ds we reviewed the test taking strategies and he took a practice test in the Prentice Hall book but not much other than that.