Menu

Sequence for Science?

I'm trying to decide what basic science sequence to take for my daughters starting in 9th grade next year. They will likely not be ready to take algebra 1 until the 10th grade so I don't really want to put them into anything that will expect a working knowledge of algebra yet.

They are excellent readers and have not had any trouble understanding science on the junior high level. They're currently working through Rainbow Science.

I'm assuming they should wait on physics until they at least have algebra? What about chemistry, biology, earth science, etc.

We haven't decided on program yet, btw. We are considering Apologia but have some concerns over the recent threads on how well this holds up for AP or SAT/ACT testing. I'm thinking I should decide on a sequence then take it form there though.

Thanks!

There is math requirments for both chemistry and physics, so it is probably best to delay them until your children finish Algebra 1

Here is the sequence that we used. However we had finished Algebra 1 by 8th grade.

9th grade-Biology

10th grade - Chemistry

11th grade - Physics

12th grade - Advanced Biology for my dd, and Advanced Chemistry or Physics for my ds

We're doing Chemistry, Physics and then Biology. We're doing Conceptual Chemistry and Conceptual Physics as they use less math. However, I wouldn't recommend Conceptual Physics for Gr. 10 if that's when they're starting Algebra as they need a bit of exposure to basic trig (which is in the end of my dd's Alg 1 textbook.)

I think that doing Biology first is a very good idea in your case due to your math schedule.

Well, I am going to go another direction....and it may be a 20 year old one....I don't know.

I think Biology would be a fine first high school class though usually it is suggested to be during or after Algebra I with the assumption that the brain development, skills development necessary is present.

But what about Physical Science. I've heard some call it ICP I think? It was what EVERY 9th grader took in my high school whether they took it in the STARS program (remedial), regular or honors programs. No student, that I had ever heard of, had gotten out of it. It was basically lower level, an introductory course, of Chemistry and Physics. And it counts as a high school science course though like Texas A&M may require two out of the main ones we think of (just as they would for someone who would prefer to take two astronomies, a biology and marine biology).

Just an idea....if you need a float year, I'd float, not push.