Menu

Spelling: Rules vs. Patterns

mom31257

How can you tell which style your child needs? I used CLE for the last year and half, which was based on rules and phonics. Ds was bored with CLE overall, so I switched to ACSI which has been based mostly on phonics, but discussing rules are part of the teacher's lessons.

I can never predict which kinds of words he will misspell. He often asks me when he's not sure, but those seem very random.

Is there some kind of test that I could give him that might help me know? Oh, something else is that he can usually tell when a word is misspelled. He often finds his own mistakes even if he's not sure what it should be.

The issue in our language is that both apply. There is no rule that tells us whether to use EE or EA in a word like "street." It's a pattern we learn visually. Some patterns we learn according to phonics--knowing the sounds our letters make, understanding how they team together to make sounds etc... Some we learn according to rules (C says /s/ before E, I or Y about 99% of the time). Some we learn according to morphology. Here's an overview of 4 main strategies that good spellers use. HTH some! Merry :-)

I have been looking into spelling methods recently. One book that has really helped me is Ruth Beechick's You Can Teach Your Child Successfully

and this one is good too for the younger K-3 grades

One such method I am researching is the Spalding method. I am really excited about it and am awaiting the book from the library so I can see if it will work for us. A close second to the writing road to reading (spalding) is spell to write and read (inspired by Romona Spalding) I don't know enough to tell you about them. All I know is that they have caught my attention and I am doing more research on them. From what I understand AAS is also inspired by the spalding method just at a much slower pace.

I hope this helps you some. I think that the individualized method of spelling works best, but I have yet to find a way that is easy and effective of implementing it.

Have you considered The Natural Speller?

Can you tell me more about it and how it works? Would it be a good fit for him because he is realizing words are spelled incorrectly? I always assumed this was for kids who naturally could spell well, and he is often asking me and questioning himself if he's right. For a long time, he wouldn't write a single word unless he knew for sure it was right. He's venturing out more now and misspelling a few words.

Spelling is not rule based, really. Reading is b/c English is decoded by phonics rules accurately about 95% of the time. Those same rules (which are used in rule-based spelling) are not very helpful for spelling beyond about a 4th-5th grade word level. Once you hit more complicated words, you have to be able to select amg multiple phonemes that make the necessary sound w/o breaking any rules.

What method is the approprieate one for an individual child is hard to say. Some kids easily memorize words and spelling seems natural. If an 8 yr child can identify misspelled words simply by looking at them, I would say they are more naturally inclined toward correct spelling than not. (I have had high schoolers that aren't capable of this.)

I do not think it sounds like your child needs AAS. It is very expensive and time consuming. 8 is a normal age for lots of misspellings and "exploratory" spelling of words that they are not familiar with. If you like rule-based spelling, How to TEach Spelling is inexpensive, includes words through 12th grade, and contains spiral dictation that helps reinforce former words.

Spelling is not rule based, really. Reading is b/c English is decoded by phonics rules accurately about 95% of the time. Those same rules (which are used in rule-based spelling) are not very helpful for spelling beyond about a 4th-5th grade word level. Once you hit more complicated words, you have to be able to select amg multiple phonemes that make the necessary sound w/o breaking any rules.

What method is the approprieate one for an individual child is hard to say. Some kids easily memorize words and spelling seems natural. If an 8 yr child can identify misspelled words simply by looking at them, I would say they are more naturally inclined toward correct spelling than not. (I have had high schoolers that aren't capable of this.)

I do not think it sounds like your child needs AAS. It is very expensive and time consuming. 8 is a normal age for lots of misspellings and "exploratory" spelling of words that they are not familiar with. If you like rule-based spelling, How to TEach Spelling is inexpensive, includes words through 12th grade, and contains spiral dictation that helps reinforce former words.

Thanks for the recommendation. Looking at the samples I've found, I cannot tell if you have to begin at grade level 1 or can begin at your child's grade level. If I'm going to order the teacher book, I'd like to save on shipping and order his book as well. Is there a way to determine grade level?

If you want something inexpensive ...

You should look at Spelling Workout and R&S Spelling too.

Both of these cover the sound and structure issues that address your concerns too.

E: Can be done relatively independently as well.

Because those are grade levels, would my ds have to start with the beginning book?

Thanks for the recommendation. Looking at the samples I've found, I cannot tell if you have to begin at grade level 1 or can begin at your child's grade level. If I'm going to order the teacher book, I'd like to save on shipping and order his book as well. Is there a way to determine grade level?

I don't use the student books. I work directly out of the TM. The TM is divided by rule with word lists, phrases, and dictation. The word lists are not broken down by grade level. I typically go through the lists until I reach a pt that I believe is beyond their ability and then stop.

My kids create their own spelling notebook. They write the rule they are working on at the top of the pg and then we do the word lists under the rule and the dictation on the back and the next pages and then move on to a new page for the next rule.

HTH

Because those are grade levels, would my ds have to start with the beginning book?

There is not a clear answer IMO.

Because you have studied spelling and phonics, I would look at the TOC and the scope and sequence for each. Where you see the largest portion of uncovered material is where I would begin.

They are both inexpensive, and using a grade behind may be encouraging and build their confidence. A good list may serve well for review and reinforcement also.