Menu

Penny Gardner or Getty Dubay for italics?

creekmom

I like that Penny's ebook is inexpensive and can be used with multiple children (and that I can start on Monday)! :D I like that the GD books look like good, solid practice for learning italics (but this could get pricey with 4 kids). If you've chosen to use Penny's book, are there any cons (except for the 2 stroke e)? Any advice?

I have both and like both. I would definitely start with Penny's book and you may never have a reason to switch. You can ignore her instructions for the "e" (I did - dh does his e's that way and they look terrible).

The big difference is that PG is a one-time run through Italics, while G-D cycles through at each level. Even in the upper levels of G-D, they start with print and then do cursive. We did PG print one time through and my ds needed a ton more practice (I probably should have had him slow down and do more practice along the way - oh well) so I had him do G-D the next year for something different.

I have both and like both. I would definitely start with Penny's book and you may never have a reason to switch. You can ignore her instructions for the "e" (I did - dh does his e's that way and they look terrible).

The big difference is that PG is a one-time run through Italics, while G-D cycles through at each level. Even in the upper levels of G-D, they start with print and then do cursive. We did PG print one time through and my ds needed a ton more practice (I probably should have had him slow down and do more practice along the way - oh well) so I had him do G-D the next year for something different.

Thanks! So, if the only con is that it has less practice, maybe I should go with her ebook and add Startwrite for more practice for each of them.