Menu

Headgear to correct Overbite

My daughter just began using headgear as the first step in correcting her overbite. She wore it for one hour last night and did fine. Tonight she wore it for the 2 hours she was supposed to, but it caused her quite a bit of discomfort. Tomorrow we move up to 3 hours, then 4, then all night.

For those of you who have been through this, how long will the discomfort continue? I'm giving her ibuprofen, but hope that won't be necessary by the end of the week.

Thanks!

Lisa

My daughter (age 12) has been wearing head gear to correct an overbite for about a year now. She thinks you need to call the orthodontist.

"At first the head gear was annoying because it was stuff in my mouth, but it didn't hurt. If it had hurt like that I would have asked you to call," is her opinion.

I would think the settings may be too much.

In positive news, in the past year the over bite has gone from a huge 9 mm to a much smaller 4 mm wearing the head gear at night. Her whole facial structure looks different and wider. And she says her teeth line up better. We have another six months or so to go on this Phase One part and then if the baby teeth are still not out maybe a break before Phase Two.

Good luck!

I had to wear headgear at night when I had braces and it does take awhile to get used to it. The inside of my cheeks and lips would get raw, ah those were the days :glare: Is it her teeth that are aching or is it the edges of her lips and inside of her mouth? I used to put a little bit of cotton between the mouth brace and the corner of my mouth and that helped quite a bit.

:grouphug: to your daughter....it is no fun!

Diane

My daughter (age 12) has been wearing head gear to correct an overbite for about a year now. She thinks you need to call the orthodontist.

"At first the head gear was annoying because it was stuff in my mouth, but it didn't hurt. If it had hurt like that I would have asked you to call," is her opinion.

I would think the settings may be too much.

In positive news, in the past year the over bite has gone from a huge 9 mm to a much smaller 4 mm wearing the head gear at night. Her whole facial structure looks different and wider. And she says her teeth line up better. We have another six months or so to go on this Phase One part and then if the baby teeth are still not out maybe a break before Phase Two.

Good luck!

Hmmm. When the dental assistant (who was quite young) was showing me how to put the head gear in, my daughter said it hurt. The DA seemed surprised by that and pretty much convinced my daughter that it didn't hurt and that all was well. She did tell us that she would have discomfort when we went to 2 hours. I guess I'll see how it goes tonight and then decide whether I need to call.

You surprised me with your comment about your daughter's facial structure completely changing. I thought that only happened with palate expanders? The idea of my daughter's facial structure changing kind of alarms me. This is the kind of stuff I would expect the orthodontist to mention to me when I am making decisions, but she never said anything like that.

Lisa

I had to wear headgear at night when I had braces and it does take awhile to get used to it. The inside of my cheeks and lips would get raw, ah those were the days :glare: Is it her teeth that are aching or is it the edges of her lips and inside of her mouth? I used to put a little bit of cotton between the mouth brace and the corner of my mouth and that helped quite a bit.

:grouphug: to your daughter....it is no fun!

Diane

I'm going to have to talk with her a little more and see exactly what is hurting. If it's her cheeks, I'll try the cotton.

Thanks!

Lisa

I think everyone is a little different. If it's too much call the ortho and see if you can go with 1/2 hour increments.

Thanks, I'm going to see how she does tonight and if she has trouble, I will see if we can slow it down.

Lisa