Menu

Which Programs will you be Sticking With?!

I think that says a LOT about a curriculum, honestly! I was having an internal debacle about Language Arts and just realized today that what we've been using has really worked well for us. The part he didn't like was the writing and I think he'd be that way with ANY program. All the other components were SPOT ON so I placed our order for K12's LA5 earlier today!!! :D I also ordered the 5A materials for Singapore since we'll be finishing up 4B in a couple weeks. We finished SOTW2 last week and will continue with SOTW3 (sitting on my shelf) after we take a short hiatus to complete our timeline work from the very beginning since we haven't been keeping up with a timeline (and listen to the audio CDs up to through the end of SOTW2 since we just got them...)

I'd just like to see what other people use and continually go back to... :)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Singapore

NOEO--I've already got Phys I; loved Chem I; have really, really not enjoyed Bio I/II, so after Phys I, we'll probably look for something new.

MCT

We're finishing SOTW this year, so will be doing something new, but I don't want to leave it off the list. It's the *only* thing we've stuck w/ since beginning homeschooling, although we picked up Singapore very shortly after SOTW.

We are going to stick with CLE LA, Math (as far as they have sunrise editions,) and Reading/ literature for the long haul

We have done SOTW 1-3 and we are now on 4. I intend to cycle back through them with the boys...

We have used many years of Ambleside Online and will continue to use their book and course choices

We have used Veritas Press materials as part of our history cycles for at least 10 years including 6 levels of cards and 3 levels of Omnibus.

Latina Christiana 1. &2.

Traditional Logic 1&2

Apologia Sciences....both elementary and upper levels.

WWE...we just began this program and I love it. I am using level 1 with my 1st grader, level 2 with my 3rd grader...and level 3 quickly as remediation for my 7th grader. She loves it as well and does not feel it is at babyish.

WTM and Charlotte Mason's original writings for our educational theory and method.

Faithe

We are going to stick with CLE LA, Math (as far as they have sunrise editions,) and Reading/ literature for the long haul

We have done SOTW 1-3 and we are now on 4. I intend to cycle back through them with the boys...

We have used many years of Ambleside Online and will continue to use their book and course choices

We have used Veritas Press materials as part of our history cycles for at least 10 years including 6 levels of cards and 3 levels of Omnibus.

Latina Christiana 1. &2.

Traditional Logic 1&2

Apologia Sciences....both elementary and upper levels.

WWE...we just began this program and I love it. I am using level 1 with my 1st grader, level 2 with my 3rd grader...and level 3 quickly as remediation for my 7th grader. She loves it as well and does not feel it is at babyish.

WTM and Charlotte Mason's original writings for our educational theory and method.

Faithe

:seeya: hey Faithe!

Art of Problem Solving

Ellen McHenry--different program, obvs, but we love her stuff

Teaching Co DVDs

music appreciation using The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music History

art appreciation using Art and the Venezia biographies

onlineg3 for a class or two

Duke TIP materials

I have really enjoyed

The Sentence Family (the kids are asking to do it again this summer for fun), it's what we started with at the beginning of the year when neither of them knew a thing about parts of speech)

MCT (We followed it up with MCT Island and they now love a fish names Mud) .. not to mention I had a 7 year old doing 4 part sentence analysis and understanding it all just fine.

R&S English (it pretty much taught itself)

MM has been such an eye opener having come from Saxon at ps. We have loved it.

The Geography Coloring Book - has been very fun for them. They love reading and coloring all of the border and countries.. it also has broken down each country by rivers, mountain ranges and plains. They have enjoyed it. I don't think we are half way through it and we mix it with other geography skills.

Lively Latin has been loads of fun and we will be continuing with it next year.

I am loving the progym. exercises we have begun with WT1. We will move into CC next year using the same approach to classical writing.

OH... and I can't forget WWE. They all have learned so much about copywork, dictations and retelling stories back to me. I love that they read an excerpt from one of the books for their weekly assignment and next thing you know they are checking the whole book out of the library!

• Explorer's Bible studies, but moving up from Discovery to Quest level.
  • TOG
  • VFCR
  • TT
  • LOF
  • Apologia science

Along with these, we'll also be adding some new curriculum. I'm really looking forward to creating a balanced mix of both.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Horizons/Singapore mix for math

FLL (for younger ds)

R&S (for older ds... except that FLL for logic stage might be out, then I'll have to choose!

Spelling Workout

All About Spelling

WWE (moving into WWS late mid-year for older)

SOTW - didn't use it this year, but have used it before & am incorporating it next year for younger ds, though older ds will want to do it too.

Atelier Art

It's a great feeling to realize what you are using is working. The only thing I don't like about it is that it takes away my hobby of curriculum researching and shopping.:001_smile: Next year, will almost be a repeat of this year for us. We'll just be using the next level in most subjects.

Sonlight (all but the LA) - next year will be our 6th year with this program

CLE Math - My daughter has completed 2 levels and I've bought the next 3 already because I love this program so much

CLE LA - Again, great fit for my daughter

IEW - Perfect for my son. He takes an outsourced class, but if it wasn't available we'd do it at home. Next year will be his 3rd year using this

Rod & Staff Math - My son has used this from 1st grade on. He's partway through level 6

Saxon Grammar & Writing - This is another one that is working so well, I've bought up 2 of the 3 remaining levels because I know we will use them

IEW Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization - Next year will be our 4th year using this

La Clase Divertida - Next year will be our second year and I've already bought level 3 as well. This program is fun and we're learning a lot.

Lisa

Our Must-Use list:

Phonics Pathways

Queen's Language Lessons for Little Ones (Prk-1st)

Pentime Penmanship 1-8

Saxon Math

Rod & Staff English

Story of the World Series

History Odyssey Level 2

Apologia Science 7th - 12th grades

Lively Latin

Like Apples & Pears Spelling & the old Calvert Cd-roms ~ depends upon the child

+ TWTM to tie it all together :D

We're sticking with

LOF

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Mavis Beacon Typing

SOTW

we did a unit studies course this year (ANWOA)--which was great especially for getting started with homeschooling without going it with the online public option-but definitely time to move on!

Story of the World

The Human Odyssey

Well-Trained Mind Literature suggestions

Teaching Textbooks

Life of Fred

Big Book of Lively Latin

Art of Argument (the next level, haven't decided which one yet)

(For youngest DD we're sticking with Singapore Math and Handwriting Without Tears)

We will continue to use MCT grammar and vocab.

Programs that we used for more than 3 years in the past:

Singapore Primary Math

MCT

IEW

Story of the World

Now if only I could find a science program to stick to!