Menu

Best vocabulary program for SAT prep?

1. Wordly Wise original through grade 12

2. Wordly Wise original through grade 6 then switch to Vocabulary from the Classical Roots schedule in WTM

We read challenging lit also, but I think concentrated Vocab study is imp.for SAT. I'm having a terrible time paring down our Logic stage days. Thanks for your help!

I think that reading (as you mentioned) is perhaps the best prep for SAT vocabulary. If you're looking for some less formal resources for the Logic stage, I'll recommend a couple.

Vocabulary Cartoons: SAT Word Power by Sam Burchers

and the sequel Vocabulary Cartoons II: SAT Word Power by Sam Burchers

I learned a lot of my vocabulary reading the column It Pays to Increase Your Word Power in the Readers Digest when I was growing up. I found a book at one point that was a collection of those columns which made for fun vocabulary practice. I can find a book on Amazon with that title, but the book pictured is not the one I have in mind.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks Kareni!

I just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone had thoughts about Wordly Wise original or Vocab from the Classical Roots?

I've been searching the boards and I'm leaning towards switching over to VFtCR in 7th grade. Thanks!!

...Wordly Wise, Vocabulary From Classical Roots, and English From the Roots Up. So far, he's done really well on his PSAT and practice tests. We shall see....

You are going through all three series at the same time??

...Vocabulary From Classical Roots, and English From the Roots Up......

Hi,

Do you see an overlap between these two? Do they complement each other? Is one more enjoyable than the other? Which one is "sticking"?

MTiA

Dd did WW and VFCR (books A,B,C) she finished them early in 8th grade. She said VFCR was hard to remember because of all the roots. But, she took PSAT in 8th and 9th and scored above 200. So, I know something is working. But, she is a very avid reader which helps a great deal - you can't go wrong with rich literature.

In 9th sh is using Vocabulary for the College Student. (see RR for description)

Hope this helps.

I started a new thread, but wanted to ask the same questions here just in case I got a reply here instead. Thanks!

WTM recommends Vocabulary from the Roots Up starting in 7th grade. We are beginning Latin in 7th grade w/ First Form. Would these two programs be redundant? We plan to continue on Latin through high school.

My rising 7th grader and I are both ready to move on from Wordly Wise original for vocab. Would Vocabulary for the High School Student et al be a better option than word roots study alongside Latin?

• 8 months later...

We use Wordly Wise 3000 and would give it a thumbs up. Doing one subsection a day, the 20 sections per book fit smoothly into the schedule and I do see the words creep into writing and conversation.

We used Word Roots (Critical Thinking Company) along side Wordly Wise for 6th/7th.

One benefit I noted was the bit of practice in spelling that goes along with filling in those blanks.