Menu

Vaccines and Brain Damage in Dogs

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=vaccines

Based on what I've read so far, we probably are overvaccinating our pets.

I also learned that the non-adjuvanted vaccines are safer. (We're required to have our pets vaccinated against rabies, but from now on I'm going to make sure they only get the non-adjuvanted type.)

Vaccines are expensive and acute veterinary care is, too. Sounds like a win-win situation for everyone but the pets and owners.

My dog had a horrible reaction to her shots as a puppy. Ever since, she has vomited almost every day. It's horrible. She also reacted to Benadryl. She ran in circles for nearly 24 hours straight after she had some with her next legally required shot. Now we have moved and she only gets her state required rabies shot. None of my cats get any (all indoor).

Interesting to me.... Any thoughts?

Vaccines and Brain Damage in Dogs

My sister-in-law works at a a vet's office. She says adult dogs are over-vaccinated: there's probably no need for them to get every vaccine every year. Her dogs are own a rotation where they get one vaccine a year and cycle through the three major vaccines in three years.

However, she is strongly against not vaccinating puppies. She said there has been a rise in puppy deaths due to Parvo (sp?) due to this movement, and that is a miserable way to die. Just something to consider.

I too think adult dogs are over-vaccinated. Lewis will be on a rotation as an adult but will be required to have his rabies shot each year. Because one of his sisters has permanent brain damage from a reaction to one her vaccines, Lewis had to have a large dose of benadryl 1 hr. before he was given his rabies shot. He did very, very well with his rabies vaccine. Whew!

Because parvo is very high in this area and 10 puppies have been lost to it in our county, he will get his parvo booster since he isn't an adult yet. After that, he'll be on a rotation as parvo is not nearly so serious in adult dogs.

Faith