Menu

Thinking alot about something more independent for every subject.

My oldest who just turned 11 last week works completely independently except for spelling this year because we switched to AAS but next year he will be completely independent really. My 6 and 8 year olds are at about half of their work being done independently. I think this is a great skill to teach your kids as it is something they have to work towards as they get older anyways and I think it teaches them to be responsible. Some people might think 6 is too young to start this but I start working towards independent studies as soon as they can read independently and my 6 year old read all the books in the Narnia series last year when she was 5 so I think she qualifies. My kids all have a list of how many pages or sections in each subject are expected to be completed each day and some mornings I wake up and after showering and cleaning up upstairs I come down stairs to my oldest done with school and his books piled on the table ready to be graded. They like doing it this way because they are in control of how fast they get the work done and can be finished with school and they don't have to wait for me to finish working with the other child so they can move on to another subject. I am sure there are pros and cons to both sides but for us it is working great.

• 2 weeks later...
I've not read all the other responses.

We recently switched from MUS to TT and for my daughter (10) the difference is wonderful. TT is very independent which is really what she needed. I adore MUS because of the ease in understanding for ME and the mastery method it uses. The problem is that my daughter HATED it. Math would cause tears, frustration, fighting...and she hated doing the same thing over and over and over (multiply one number...now 2 numbers...now 3....until you "master" it). TT is more of a spiral method and she loves that she can do something different every couple days. I "oversee" the process and now she chooses to do math 1st in the AM. Hope this helps.

Yes! This is what Emily is doing. TT Math starts out our day. I add in some MM (because she really shouldn't be in TT5 yet, so she knows she needs this extra help) and we start working on other things. The TT math has her highly motivated and has given us a starting point. She is also super psyched about it being level 5 and it has her motivated to buckle down and get things done to try to get ahead in other subjects. Today we didn't start with TT and we are having trouble getting anything done! I will update, but it looks like this was the biggest change we needed.

I've struggled with the very same thing. The sad fact is that if something is completely teacher-dependent, it doesn't happen as regularly (especially since my little munchkin came along) as the things the boys can pick up and do themselves. It doesn't matter HOW wonderful a curriculum is - if it's not getting done, it's not doing anyone any good! That being said, I'm switching this fall (for 4th and 5th grade) to:

- Story of the World 1 and 2 (we never finished them last time through, so we're going to listen to the audio or have the boys read on their own), as well as:

- Human Odyssey: Prehistory - Middle Ages (especially for my 5th grader), to read and practice outlining and writing paragraphs

- CLE Math, Language Arts (SO in love with the fact that it incorporates spelling and penmanship!), and Reading

- Exploring Creation: Land Animals of the 6th Day (to be read independently with help from me if needed)

We'll continue with daily journal writing and scriptures, and the health books and geography books we're currently using. If I decide the CLE LA is lacking in writing, I'll incorporate more as needed.

As an earlier poster said, my goal is to have everything where the boys can pretty much do it all, and if I'm able to be more involved, that's a bonus! I just don't want things to bog down because of me. :tongue_smilie: