Menu

Thinking alot about something more independent for every subject.

Math... she cannot do Math Mammoth on her own at all... would Teaching Textbooks work?

Phonics Road... well, I really cling to this one because of the etymology. Other than that I was thinking...

Spelling: How To Teach Spelling or Megawords. They have workbooks! I can work PR to be more independent, but I want to talk about this.

Writing: We loved WWE when I used it. It isn't more independent, but we love it, and we don't love PR.

Grammar: For us, the main benefit to PR is the diagramming. Growing With Grammar, GUM or Voyages in English, Queen's Language Lessons?

History: We are using HOD. It doesn't take a lot of time, but we don't get to it half the time. I think I can just assign the reading instead of doing it with her.

Science: I think can make it work with a workbook. Elemental Science has one... anything else?

Spanish: I am open for suggestions.

I might just stick to all the same, I am not unhappy with it, but we just can't seem to get it done and when we do it takes all of our time for the day and we do nothing else. I want to think about this because we are finishing up this year and the time has come to buy new things.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Hi Carmen. :seeya:

Do I remember correctly that you only use secular materials? If so, I will probably be no help to you at all. But we have had such great success with CLE this year that I thought I would mention it. It teaches directly to the student, so it is very easy for the parent. But it's also academically sound and affordable, so it's just been a treasure for us. I love both the math and the language arts programs.

As far as the religious content, I *think* it would be workable for you. I don't remember encountering anything that would conflict with your beliefs, but of course it was my own beliefs that I was thinking about as we have gone through it, so I can't make any promises! The math program often uses stories of missionaries in other lands as the basis for the word problems. And the English book will sometimes use a scripture for penmanship practice, or have you pick out the prepositional phrases in a certain scripture, things like that. I don't remember anything doctrinal, just pure scripture, using the KJV.

I'll keep thinking, though, and see what else I can come up with. Would Singapore math be something she could do more independently?

Hi Carmen. :seeya:

Do I remember correctly that you only use secular materials?

I am not as worried about secular materials and am open to tweaking religious materials now. I would love science to actually teach evolution, but maybe I am trying to put that in too soon (wait for high school maybe?)

Thanks Greta. I will take another look at CLE. I know it gets great reviews, even the math!

As to what she could do independently... that is part of the problem. I really don't know. Maybe she can't do anything independently anyway. It sure seems like it. That is why I have stuck to teacher-intensive materials anyway.

Just looking at Maths, we do MM 3 too and ds can't do that on his own. I teach, assign some of the problems and stand very close by!

I am also using the pc-mathrider for drill and just started math whizz so that I can give him bits and pieces to do while I get on with other stuff.

I have just bought the guides for Bigger and Preparing. I plan to use the independent science box for preparing along with the LA and the other things from Bigger. I too want to start ds being independent so will probably give him some of the Bigger reading to do himself.

also use phonetic zoo for spelling.

Were you thinking of using Preparing, that is meant to be working towards independence?

Stephanie

I have been giving this a lot of thought myself. I think I will have a balance, but I definitely want more independent work for my older ds than he has been doing. How old are your dc?

For ds, who will be 11 this summer, and has done very little independently:glare: I am leaning towards this:

Trail Guide to World Geography: I think he can do this one largely independently (at least the map work and the work book.)

Spelling: I think I will try Spelling Wisdom. I don't think it's independent, though we will see.

Teaching Textbooks: We used this this year. Yes, he can do it independently. No, he didn't love it. Which leaves me?????

Living Books Curriculum: This will be our core. He definitely can do a lot of this on his own. But will he???

Science: Tops science looks like something he can work through on his own.

I am adding to this my own geography/cultural studies which will be will be probably 3/4 me and 1/4 him.

:bigear::bigear: to hear other ideas.

Math... she cannot do Math Mammoth on her own at all... would Teaching Textbooks work?

TT is very independent. Maybe sprinkle in a little MM or Singapore when you have time or feel the need. I very intentionally do not use the elementary programs as I don't want too much independence with math yet.

Spelling: How To Teach Spelling or Megawords. They have workbooks! I can work PR to be more independent, but I want to talk about this.

We are using Megawords this year. My dd likes it okay (She likes it more than I do.), but I am planning to switch her to Soaring with Spelling next fall as Megawords has (IMO) a lot of words on one list and TOO MANY exercises per word list. I've also looked at HTTS and decided it might just be overkill and/or too teacher directed. I haven't looked at it yet. I'd love to hear from users about how much time they spend on it.

Writing: We loved WWE when I used it. It isn't more independent, but we love it, and we don't love PR.

Grammar: For us, the main benefit to PR is the diagramming. Growing With Grammar, GUM or Voyages in English, Queen's Language Lessons?

I'm moving away from GWG this year. It's a good program, but I can't handle it two years in a row for the same kid. After completing level 4, my dd is doing Hake level 5. DS will be in FLL 3 after GWG 2.

Science: I think can make it work with a workbook. Elemental Science has one... anything else?

I'm planning on using ES with DD. Depending on how motivated your child is, they might be able to do it on their own occasionally, however it does NOT look independent.

:001_smile:

TT is very independent. Maybe sprinkle in a little MM or Singapore when you have time or feel the need. I very intentionally do not use the elementary programs as I don't want too much independence with math yet. I already have TT5 so I think I will give it a shot as soon as we are done drilling our multiplication facts.

We are using Megawords this year. My dd likes it okay (She likes it more than I do.), but I am planning to switch her to Soaring with Spelling next fall as Megawords has (IMO) a lot of words on one list and TOO MANY exercises per word list. I've also looked at HTTS and decided it might just be overkill and/or too teacher directed. I haven't looked at it yet. I'd love to hear from users about how much time they spend on it.I have HTTS. It is a mix. There is dictation, of course, but at least half of the work is independent. Of course, the teaching portion of the PR DVD is very short each day... I could just make DD watch it with me. I might do that. She thinks it is incredibly boring, but well... so what? I need more motivation to get it done.

Writing: We loved WWE when I used it. It isn't more independent, but we love it, and we don't love PR. I think this might change when we switch literature books. The Little House book we are using now is a little below her and she hates that. She really likes classical works in Queen's and WWE though. She also likes the variety I think, so I am not sure that a new literature book with PR will help... but I think it might.

I'm moving away from GWG this year. It's a good program, but I can't handle it two years in a row for the same kid. After completing level 4, my dd is doing Hake level 5. DS will be in FLL 3 after GWG 2.

I know, I have already said this... but I am working on writing out directions for PR. I think that having the steps of the diagramming written out instead of me telling her each step... might be what we need?

I'm planning on using ES with DD. Depending on how motivated your child is, they might be able to do it on their own occasionally, however it does NOT look independent. No it isn't independent. We already did half of Chemistry, and I have Biology. I just think that the student workbook gives us more firm direction than other programs. That is what I need. Some blank pages that include written directions and need filled in.

Firm direction! KWIM?

Thank you!

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Just looking at Maths, we do MM 3 too and ds can't do that on his own. I teach, assign some of the problems and stand very close by!

I am also using the pc-mathrider for drill and just started math whizz so that I can give him bits and pieces to do while I get on with other stuff.

I have just bought the guides for Bigger and Preparing. I plan to use the independent science box for preparing along with the LA and the other things from Bigger. I too want to start ds being independent so will probably give him some of the Bigger reading to do himself.

also use phonetic zoo for spelling.

Were you thinking of using Preparing, that is meant to be working towards independence?

Stephanie

I think you have identified my problem. We have really not opened the Bigger guide for quite some time, and it does move toward independence. I just need to do it instead of getting burned out on the Three R's and quitting.

I have been giving this a lot of thought myself. I think I will have a balance, but I definitely want more independent work for my older ds than he has been doing. How old are your dc?

For ds, who will be 11 this summer, and has done very little independently:glare: I am leaning towards this:

Trail Guide to World Geography: I think he can do this one largely independently (at least the map work and the work book.)

Spelling: I think I will try Spelling Wisdom. I don't think it's independent, though we will see.

Teaching Textbooks: We used this this year. Yes, he can do it independently. No, he didn't love it. Which leaves me?????

Living Books Curriculum: This will be our core. He definitely can do a lot of this on his own. But will he???

Science: Tops science looks like something he can work through on his own.

I am adding to this my own geography/cultural studies which will be will be probably 3/4 me and 1/4 him.

:bigear::bigear: to hear other ideas.

Thanks for talking it out with me. DD is 9. DS is 4. I tried starting WP phonics with him, but he is not ready for their workbook approach. I am seriously thinking of pulling Webster's or PR out.

I have HTTS. It is a mix. There is dictation, of course, but at least half of the work is independent.

I may look at this one again then. Hmmm.....

I think that having the steps of the diagramming written out instead of me telling her each step... might be what we need?

I would love to see that!

No it isn't independent. We already did half of Chemistry, and I have Biology. I just think that the student workbook gives us more firm direction than other programs. That is what I need. Some blank pages that include written directions and need filled in.

Firm direction! KWIM?

Yes, kind of what I was thinking when I bought it. I expect to work with her on experiments (The first one for logic stage bio involves a scalpel. My dd + sharp objects means I better at least be watching...) and have her do her vocab etc on her own. Is your dd doing grammar or logic stage bio? I am thinking to combine 3rd & 6th graders in the logic stage bio this fall. I will not expect as much written work from 3rd grader. He IS capable of understanding the concepts though, and I've been boring him to death with ES Earth & Space this year. Time to kick it up a notch. ;)

Thank you!

:001_smile:

I am also adding more independent work this year. We never get to history or science the way I feel we should. So, this year, (mostly to relieve my guilt), I will be having each of my kids working on independent programs in these subjects. That way, if I get to it, it will be bonus! But they will still be getting their basics in. I'm using Sonlight's science because it has so much reading (independent!) and it has worksheets that go along with their reading so I have a record of what they've been learning. It also has videos! At levels k-5 it has the experiments on video! That way, if I can't get to it, they are still seeing it work! :)

For history, I was going to buy an Abeka textbook. It will cover the basics for them and they can write answers to the comprehension questions at the end for my benefit (record keeping, seeing that they are actually reading the material!). For my older daughter (7th grade), I'm handing her the schedule that Sonlight makes for Core G and having her keep up with it.

I'm hoping, with this plan for independence, that by the end of next year I'll feel better about how much history and science they have learned. We'll see....

Oh, and Teaching Textbooks is GREAT for independence. Does everything for you, even the grading and record keeping! (unfortunately for me, neither of my kids liked it! :tongue_smilie:)

I am not as worried about secular materials and am open to tweaking religious materials now.

In that case, you can view samples at their website, and/or join the yahoo group to get a better feel for whether or not it would work for her. And if you decide to give it a try, definitely use the placement tests - available for free from their website.

I would love science to actually teach evolution, but maybe I am trying to put that in too soon (wait for high school maybe?)

It could definitely wait until middle school, and yes possibly even high school. I've been teaching it all along (because it's "my thing" since my degree is in biology), but just in a natural as-it-comes-up sort of way. I haven't taught it formally yet. There are lots of great living books about evolution, if you want to just add that in to whatever you're already studying.

As to what she could do independently... that is part of the problem. I really don't know. Maybe she can't do anything independently anyway. It sure seems like it. That is why I have stuck to teacher-intensive materials anyway.

My dd is older than yours, and she still needs quite a bit of hand-holding. CLE has helped a lot in that respect! But we're still working on focus and attention, so I have to do some supervision, even when she's working independently. I want her to be pretty independent by high school, and I know we need to be gradually working toward that goal. It's not always easy to know how to pace it, though. I think SWB has an audio lecture about this topic. I have immensely enjoyed the other audio lectures of hers that I bought, so maybe I should get that one too!

We use MUS as semi independent. Usually I can sit with them and watch the video and they work the problems. If they have a problem then I help them work it out.

Phonics Road... well, I really cling to this one because of the etymology. Other than that I was thinking...

We are using Phonetic Zoo this next year and it seems to be more independent.

FLL does diagramming but it isn't independent.

History: We are using HOD. It doesn't take a lot of time, but we don't get to it half the time. I think I can just assign the reading instead of doing it with her.

We have used Classic Science Life Science this year as again semi independent. They read the text and do the worksheets on their on.

http://www.eequalsmcq.com/ClassicScienceLife.htm

Spanish: I am open for suggestions.

I might just stick to all the same, I am not unhappy with it, but we just can't seem to get it done and when we do it takes all of our time for the day and we do nothing else. I want to think about this because we are finishing up this year and the time has come to buy new things.

Carmen,

You and I go through this every year, don't we? I swear our dd's would either be the best of friends or hate each other they're so much alike!:lol: Anyway, we have totally changed our line up for next year and I thought I'd share the Independent things we're moving to.

LA:

Writing Strands

Total Language Plus - I am IN LOVE with this program. We're starting with Anne of Green Gables next year. Right now we're doing a poetry unit and we can't get enough of it. I'm going to let dd pick the writing projects and meet with me once a week. Kind of like DITHOR, but more inclusive and in-depth.

Science:

Christian Kids Explore Earth and Space - I know you prefer something not so "in your face" Christian and I've never used this so I don't know if it's tweak-able (probably not), but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Math. . .The dreaded Math that you and I discuss every year :crying:*SIGH*

We're going back to Math U See. We sat through more Dianne Craft Seminars at our convention and it renewed my vision for my oldest. I won't hijack your thread, but if you've never listened to her lectures, they would be so helpful to you. Our plan is to watch the video without dd the night before, give it to her to watch the next day, and allow her to try the lesson on her own.

HTH!

Dorinda

I've not read all the other responses.

We recently switched from MUS to TT and for my daughter (10) the difference is wonderful. TT is very independent which is really what she needed. I adore MUS because of the ease in understanding for ME and the mastery method it uses. The problem is that my daughter HATED it. Math would cause tears, frustration, fighting...and she hated doing the same thing over and over and over (multiply one number...now 2 numbers...now 3....until you "master" it). TT is more of a spiral method and she loves that she can do something different every couple days. I "oversee" the process and now she chooses to do math 1st in the AM. Hope this helps.

I've not read all the other responses.

We recently switched from MUS to TT and for my daughter (10) the difference is wonderful. TT is very independent which is really what she needed. I adore MUS because of the ease in understanding for ME and the mastery method it uses. The problem is that my daughter HATED it. Math would cause tears, frustration, fighting...and she hated doing the same thing over and over and over (multiply one number...now 2 numbers...now 3....until you "master" it). TT is more of a spiral method and she loves that she can do something different every couple days. I "oversee" the process and now she chooses to do math 1st in the AM. Hope this helps.

Very helpful. She really didn't like MUS when we tried it.

Carmen,

You and I go through this every year, don't we? I swear our dd's would either be the best of friends or hate each other they're so much alike!:lol:

Dorinda, your post was so uplifting. :grouphug: I love hearing from you.

Thanks for replying everyone! Talking it out is really helping. I think that I really need to let go of my beautiful history packages and correlated unit studies and spend that time and money on other things... Math and Science especially. The history doesn't get done anyway... and I really don't think we will get WP Sea and Sky done. I just want it so bad! I think I will buy a few of the books and add them in to SOTW. Simplify the history. That is what I need to do. I still want Preparing. Maybe I will go with just the guidebook and spines and not spend all that $ on books that we can find at the library, or even skip some.

Hey all... I have decided not to use Phonics Road 3. I will not be continuing with PR next year, but I don't regret using PR 1 and 2 at all. I think that they are wonderful and give a great foundation. I might even continue with PR later. Right now we need a break from teacher intensive things and we could also use some review before delving in to the tougher material in PR 3.

Phonics Road 3: $215

How to Spell book 3: $9.25

Soaring with Spelling and Vocabulary: $13.99

Growing with Grammar 3: $31.99

Writing With Ease 2 and 3: Already own the instructor's test, workbooks are $35 each.

So that is $55-$90 a savings of $125-160

I have the TT5 CD-ROM for math. Do I need a workbook?

Open and go independent workbook pages: priceless :lol:

I still need to figure out science, but finishing HOD Bigger and switching our Math and LA to better fits will help all the other subjects. :)

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I used a lot of really teacher intensive materials when my kids were younger and it just about did me in. (Rightstart, SWR, FLL, SRA direct instruction materials, etc.) It was a true revelation to me that I did not have to do everything that way. Now I use workbooks/textbooks for skills-based subjects along with SL and it is such a nice balance. I still work with each of my kids about an hour a day going over their work and introducing new material. I also read to them together/discuss for an hour. The rest they are able to pretty much manage on their own except for questions here and there. Our homeschool is so much more positive because of this change.

Lisa

I used a lot of really teacher intensive materials when my kids were younger and it just about did me in. (Rightstart, SWR, FLL, SRA direct instruction materials, etc.) It was a true revelation to me that I did not have to do everything that way. Now I use workbooks/textbooks for skills-based subjects along with SL and it is such a nice balance. I still work with each of my kids about an hour a day going over their work and introducing new material. I also read to them together/discuss for an hour. The rest they are able to pretty much manage on their own except for questions here and there. Our homeschool is so much more positive because of this change.

Lisa

Do your dc read the SL core stuff independently or do you read it to them? This year I am only homeschooling 1 and next year I will be homeschooling 3, plus a 1-year-old running around. I was considering doing 1 SL Core for all 3 kiddos and I was wondering how that would work. How long does it take you to do SL with your kids? I tend to pick too many teacher-intensive things and it just doesn't all get done.

This may sound rude, but I simply want you to consider ...

They are 4 and 9. How independent do you think children should be? Are you not wanting to teach? Perhaps you should consider a virtual school or public school. To me, your post sounds odd and as if you are trying to avoid the education process in favor of them self-educating. This is entirely too early to turn them loose. In no manner could I turn my 10yo and 4yo loose. Perhaps you mean independent seat work? Your 9yo should begin to complete assignments, but you will nevertheless need to teach the material regardless of what you choose.

I apologize if I took this the wrong way! I was just shocked at the way that I read your post.:glare:

I apologize if I took this the wrong way! I was just shocked at the way that I read your post.:glare:
Me too. :lol:
Perhaps you mean independent seat work? Your 9yo should begin to complete assignments, but you will nevertheless need to teach the material regardless of what you choose.
Right now we have 0 minutes of independent seat work. I have to sit right with her and tell her to write each and every number/letter or word on her paper, and we also have no assigned independent reading. If I walk away, she does not do it even if I am telling her to. If I sit with her but don't tell her each and every tiny step then she doesn't do it. The only program we are using that has any independent seat work assigned is Math Mammoth and she can't do that on her own.

My 4 year old isn't even doing school yet. I mentioned that he is not ready for a workbook approach. I know how to use Webster's and PR with manipulatives, so that is why I was considering them and waiting on the WP program.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

This may sound rude, but I simply want you to consider ...

They are 4 and 9. How independent do you think children should be? Are you not wanting to teach? Perhaps you should consider a virtual school or public school. To me, your post sounds odd and as if you are trying to avoid the education process in favor of them self-educating. This is entirely too early to turn them loose.

I have the exact same opinion. I feel bad now when I have assumed that of some other posts here though. Perhaps I was wrong on what they were attempting to achieve.

Me too. :lol:Right now we have 0 minutes of independent seat work. I have to sit right with her and tell her to write each and every number/letter or word on her paper, and we also have no assigned independent reading. If I walk away, she does not do it even if I am telling her to. If I sit with her but don't tell her each and every tiny step then she doesn't do it. The only program we are using that has any independent seat work assigned is Math Mammoth and she can't do that on her own.

My 4 year old isn't even doing school yet. I mentioned that he is not ready for a workbook approach. I know how to use Webster's and PR with manipulatives, so that is why I was considering them and waiting on the WP program.

Does she not understand the work or just doesn't want to work on her own? Those are two different issues for us. I think if she doesn't understand it that is one thing but if she doesn't want to work on her own then you may need to wean her off your help and train her to work more independently.

Hey all... I have decided not to use Phonics Road 3. I will not be continuing with PR next year, but I don't regret using PR 1 and 2 at all. I think that they are wonderful and give a great foundation. I might even continue with PR later. Right now we need a break from teacher intensive things and we could also use some review before delving in to the tougher material in PR 3.

Writing With Ease 2 and 3: Already own the instructor's test, workbooks are $35 each.

I still need to figure out science, but finishing HOD Bigger and switching our Math and LA to better fits will help all the other subjects. :)

Carmen,

We are going through a similar revolution here....needing a balance so that we can get something accomplished. A balance between me teaching (with four kids) and kids being able to do some work independently.

WHY How to Spell AND Soaring with Spelling? I am looking at a workbook based spelling for my oldest. He's a natural speller but will need something that allows him to work with words. Rod and Staff looks like the best one for word work but SWO and SWS look more "fun". Grrrr. I really like How to Teach Spelling (have the TM) but it does require teacher time....

Anyhow, why both in your line up?

I think a level of independent work is a reasonable expectation for young, homeschooled children. Sitting down with them and getting them started, or teaching something they donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t understand, is fine. But sitting there the whole time helping them is ridiculous, in my opinion.

Independent work for my children has been a lifesaver for me. I have to work myself as well, not to mention the housework, etc. so it really is necessary.

My seven year old son can sit down and do his Horizons math workbook all by himself, as well as his other workbooks (handwriting and LLATL), if I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t get to him for some reason. We still do many things together; he reads to me, we do Spanish, spelling, writing, etc. But the independent workbooks are the secret to getting everything done, while maintaining a clean and somewhat organized household. (emphasis on the somewhat...LOL) :tongue_smilie:

Good luck, and good thinking! You can do it. :grouphug:

Does she not understand the work or just doesn't want to work on her own? Those are two different issues for us. I think if she doesn't understand it that is one thing but if she doesn't want to work on her own then you may need to wean her off your help and train her to work more independently.
She cannot do math on her own because she has a math LD. The problem is that every other program we have requires teacher interaction. It is the way they are set up. There is no independent work to be had. Back when we used ETC she did that independently. When we had Queen's Language Lessons she could do that independently a level ahead. She seems gifted in LA and enjoys it. I have made it more work by using these teacher-intensive programs.

I really think TT will help with math because the computer won't get impatient with her ;) In addition, she does well reading things on a computer screen but has trouble with paper. Math performance is highly tied in with vision issues.

Carmen,

We are going through a similar revolution here....needing a balance so that we can get something accomplished. A balance between me teaching (with four kids) and kids being able to do some work independently.

WHY How to Spell AND Soaring with Spelling? I am looking at a workbook based spelling for my oldest. He's a natural speller but will need something that allows him to work with words. Rod and Staff looks like the best one for word work but SWO and SWS look more "fun". Grrrr. I really like How to Teach Spelling (have the TM) but it does require teacher time....

I don't remember. :lol: I had it all worked out last night at 1 AM. I got up at 6:45 this morning and my reasons for the new line up along with all of the samples I had pulled up were gone. I will get back to you when I work it out again.

We didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t need a workbook with TT 5. But if your dd has a math LD she might want one. Also, if there are LDs involved, I can see you needing to be there more often. :)

She cannot do math on her own because she has a math LD. The problem is that every other program we have requires teacher interaction. It is the way they are set up. There is no independent work to be had. Back when we used ETC she did that independently. When we had Queen's Language Lessons she could do that independently a level ahead. She seems gifted in LA and enjoys it. I have made it more work by using these teacher-intensive programs.

I really think TT will help with math because the computer won't get impatient with her ;) In addition, she does well reading things on a computer screen but has trouble with paper. Math performance is highly tied in with vision issues.

Ok I wasn't quite sure when you said you had to sit beside her for everything. I think you are on track finding more independent work for language arts. I think if she has vision issues then you might want to look at Phonetic Zoo for spelling (not sure of her age/grade). It uses cd's to teach spelling.

TT is a great program. We use MUS and love it. You might also look at ALEKS which is an online program that I think can be used fairly independently. I think with any math program (especially if she struggles already in that are) you will have to do some teaching/instructions to help her understand the concepts.

I think a level of independent work is a reasonable expectation for young, homeschooled children. Sitting down with them and getting them started, or teaching something they donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t understand, is fine. But sitting there the whole time helping them is ridiculous, in my opinion.

Independent work for my children has been a lifesaver for me. I have to work myself as well, not to mention the housework, etc. so it really is necessary.

My seven year old son can sit down and do his Horizons math workbook all by himself, as well as his other workbooks (handwriting and LLATL), if I canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t get to him for some reason. We still do many things together; he reads to me, we do Spanish, spelling, writing, etc. But the independent workbooks are the secret to getting everything done, while maintaining a clean and somewhat organized household. (emphasis on the somewhat...LOL) :tongue_smilie:

Good luck, and good thinking! You can do it. :grouphug:

You know, I went and thought about this statement for a moment, and really nothing is ridiculous if that is what suites you and your student. LOL. Certainly there are many different people and various situations that call for different actions. So, if it floats your boat...;)

But if you can get Emily working more independently in the area of LA, because you need to, I think it would be a good thing.

Will she read and narrate? As you know I'm waiting for Bigger and Preparing and in the meantime I'm trying parts of the week 1 sample to see how I can make it independent.

So for example I assigned ds the science reading of Bigger and asked him to read it silently and narrate it to me-he did suggest that he read it aloud to me and so narration wouldn't be necessary as I would have heard him read the original lol!

You could do that with the history parts of Bigger couldn't you and kill 2 birds with one stone-learning to be independent and narrating and learning history?

By the way I agree with you on PR3! Great program but overkill for what I need at the moment.

Stephanie

Me too. :lol:Right now we have 0 minutes of independent seat work. I have to sit right with her and tell her to write each and every number/letter or word on her paper, and we also have no assigned independent reading. If I walk away, she does not do it even if I am telling her to. If I sit with her but don't tell her each and every tiny step then she doesn't do it. The only program we are using that has any independent seat work assigned is Math Mammoth and she can't do that on her own.

:001_smile: I was hoping that was what you meant! ... I have to run, but I wanted you to know that I saw!

Do your dc read the SL core stuff independently or do you read it to them? This year I am only homeschooling 1 and next year I will be homeschooling 3, plus a 1-year-old running around. I was considering doing 1 SL Core for all 3 kiddos and I was wondering how that would work. How long does it take you to do SL with your kids? I tend to pick too many teacher-intensive things and it just doesn't all get done.

They read the readers and I read the rest. Core 4 takes me about an hour to read to them. I think Core 1 would probably take about 30 minutes.

Lisa

:001_smile: I was hoping that was what you meant! ... I have to run, but I wanted you to know that I saw!
Whew!:lol:

You know, I went and thought about this statement for a moment, and really nothing is ridiculous if that is what suites you and your student. LOL. Certainly there are many different people and various situations that call for different actions. So, if it floats your boat...;)

But if you can get Emily working more independently in the area of LA, because you need to, I think it would be a good thing.

We all have to clarify a bunch on here don't we? :) I knew what you meant. :grouphug:

Will she read and narrate? As you know I'm waiting for Bigger and Preparing and in the meantime I'm trying parts of the week 1 sample to see how I can make it independent.

So for example I assigned ds the science reading of Bigger and asked him to read it silently and narrate it to me-he did suggest that he read it aloud to me and so narration wouldn't be necessary as I would have heard him read the original lol!

You could do that with the history parts of Bigger couldn't you and kill 2 birds with one stone-learning to be independent and narrating and learning history?

By the way I agree with you on PR3! Great program but overkill for what I need at the moment.

Stephanie

I have tried that. She loves it when I read to her, so I am trying to strike a balance with that. She seems to be okay with reading the science part of Bigger on her own and then writing two sentences... when I get around to doing Bigger at all. Our problem is that we do the three R's first and by the time we are done with them her friends are home from school, Dad is home from work, it is time for dance class... etc. etc. ;) Thank you for the suggestion.

Oh don't worry, I am expecting that she will still need my help with math. I don't think she will suddenly do it on her own... I just think it will work better.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Carmen,

Thanks Carmen. :001_smile:

I'm going in circles with grammar....wanting to teach it versus wanting to not teach it....boy oh boy.

Looking forward to your reasons...

HTTS is an actual OG program and the workbook is only $4-$9 and includes syllabication. I already have the TM and I love it. I just need to use SWS&V as our main program so that it will get done. I chose SWS&V because there are more days with workbook pages than not. HTTS has only 4 workbooks and we already did two of them, so I can't use it as our main program, but because we school throughout the summer I will probably use it for dictation while we are not using WWE.

When you say "wanting to teach it versus not wanting to teach it" regarding grammar, do you mean leaving it out altogether or do you mean deciding between a teacher intensive and an independent program?

I chose GWG because it has the potential to be more independent, though I will still teach it*. I also don't need the classical extras in a grammar program (like poetry study, dictation, narration) since I will have HOD and WWE for that.

*Math Mammoth has that potential too, but I still teach it.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Carmen, have you seen this? http://www.urthemom.com/Home_Page.php

I am planning to use some of the ideas here to help and I bought the student planner for my older ds. I may get one for my younger ds too. I'm going to wait a bit on that, though. Check out her information on self learning and read about the student planner. Also watch the little video. There is also a related Yahoo group.

I think it is really possible to have a 9 yo be more independent than it sounds yours currently is. We may have some similar issues. I'm not sure. I know I have partly created this beast. It is due in part to the curriculum that I have chosen, how we have done it, and what I let develop. I am trying to alter that slightly next year without compromising by beliefs in education.

:grouphug: I think I understand this struggle. I wish you luck. Maybe we should keep in touch throughout next year to support each other in helping our dc to become more independent (which of course doesn't mean we don't want to teach them at all. Just that we don't want to have to hold their hands the entire time. Sometimes my ds seems incapable of taking a book off the shelf.:banghead: )

:):grouphug: Thanks friend! Maybe we should start a social group about this! (Is there one already?

Carmen, have you seen this? http://www.urthemom.com/Home_Page.php

I am planning to use some of the ideas here to help and I bought the student planner for my older ds. I may get one for my younger ds too. I'm going to wait a bit on that, though. Check out her information on self learning and read about the student planner. Also watch the little video. There is also a related Yahoo group.

I think it is really possible to have a 9 yo be more independent than it sounds yours currently is. We may have some similar issues. I'm not sure. I know I have partly created this beast. It is due in part to the curriculum that I have chosen, how we have done it, and what I let develop. I am trying to alter that slightly next year without compromising by beliefs in education.

:grouphug: I think I understand this struggle. I wish you luck. Maybe we should keep in touch throughout next year to support each other in helping our dc to become more independent (which of course doesn't mean we don't want to teach them at all. Just that we don't want to have to hold their hands the entire time. Sometimes my ds seems incapable of taking a book off the shelf.:banghead: )

HTTS is an actual OG program and the workbook is only $4-$9 and includes syllabication. I already have the TM and I love it. I just need to use SWS&V as our main program so that it will get done. I chose SWS&V because there are more days with workbook pages than not. HTTS has only 4 workbooks and we already did two of them, so I can't use it as our main program, but because we school throughout the summer I will probably use it for dictation while we are not using WWE.

When you say "wanting to teach it versus not wanting to teach it" regarding grammar, do you mean leaving it out altogether or do you mean deciding between a teacher intensive and an independent program?

I chose GWG because it has the potential to be more independent, though I will still teach it*. I also don't need the classical extras in a grammar program (like poetry study, dictation, narration) since I will have HOD and WWE for that.

*Math Mammoth has that potential too, but I still teach it.

Thanks for the HTTS clarification. I love it too and have been considering that along with Soaring with Spelling, SWO and R&S Spelling. Blah. I don't know how to choose.

I've been toying with deciding between teacher intensive or a combo of teacher led/student workbook oriented grammar. I do want to teach grammar consistently....FLL has worked beautifully here. FLL 3 and 4 are intensive though I hear the results are solid. R&S is also thorough and easy to use orally. Growing With Grammar is so appealing...I'm nervous because I don't know if it is reputed to be solid. :confused: Do you know how GWG works? I'm terrible with samples....I think it has kid appeal.

We are also using HOD for now (we test ran our first week of Bigger....it went surprisingly well although I could NOT keep my nearly 7 year old out of it; he participated in everything which is GREAT except if we continue with HOD then he'd be starting Preparing at 8. He does not place in Bigger according to the chart but he's had a stellar first week with his brother. I'm amazed actually....)

We also use WWE. :001_smile: I adore it.

We use Math Mammoth and it's excellent. I agree that it is a nice blend of teaching time and then independent follow up. It's perfect!

I haven't read all the replies, but I wanted to mention Joanne Calderwood. She has a website http://www.urthemom.com/ and a yahoo group (RaisingSL4life) which stands for raising self learners for life. All her children start independent learning around 4th grade. Her oldest scored a perfect score on the SAT and received a full scholarship (he also scored 1 point away from perfect on the ACT when he took it his freshman or sophomore year of hs). Her second child also had amazing scores and earned a full ride to college. -Her kids have been VERY successful with independent learning. Her yahoo group has lots of information on diff. curr. that are more self learning.

I haven't read all the replies, but I wanted to mention Joanne Calderwood. She has a website http://www.urthemom.com/ and a yahoo group (RaisingSL4life) which stands for raising self learners for life. All her children start independent learning around 4th grade. Her oldest scored a perfect score on the SAT and received a full scholarship (he also scored 1 point away from perfect on the ACT when he took it his freshman or sophomore year of hs). Her second child also had amazing scores and earned a full ride to college. -Her kids have been VERY successful with independent learning. Her yahoo group has lots of information on diff. curr. that are more self learning.

I approve with a great deal of this, but I am undecided on some of the attitudes toward absolute independence. I can see the benefits, as well as the similarities in how I educated for high school, but hmmmm.....

Thank you everyone. And update on what I have chosen. I am so looking forward to it:

Building Spelling Skills 4, Growing With Grammar 3, WWE 2, TT5,

I am trying to decide on Science now. I am thinking about Sonlight because it has worksheets and DVDs.

We LOVE Building Spelling Skills Carmen! It incorporates so many skills, dictionary, thesaurus, vocabulary. You won't be sorry!

Blessings!

Dorinda

Thank you everyone. And update on what I have chosen. I am so looking forward to it:

Building Spelling Skills 4, Growing With Grammar 3, WWE 2, TT5,

I am trying to decide on Science now. I am thinking about Sonlight because it has worksheets and DVDs.

Carmen,

For the most part, we are interest led in science. But we do buy science curricula as well. We have used SL 1, 2, and 6 now. We love Sonlight Science here. As you know we have tried many different science curricula and it seems to be the one that we get the most out of. Even if we didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t do all of the experiments, or follow the schedule exactly (although we always try), the books were read by the end of the year and the information was absorbed. ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a good curriculum in my book.

Actually, next year my children will do SL 4 (or thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s the current plan, which is subject to change). My oldest will teach it on the days that I have to work. I will participate a few days a week by watching experiments, taking pictures, and reading with them.

Carmen,

For the most part, we are interest led in science. But we do buy science curricula as well. We have used SL 1, 2, and 6 now. We love Sonlight Science here. As you know we have tried many different science curricula and it seems to be the one that we get the most out of. Even if we didn’t do all of the experiments, or follow the schedule exactly (although we always try), the books were read by the end of the year and the information was absorbed. That’s a good curriculum in my book.

Actually, next year my children will do SL 4 (or that’s the current plan, which is subject to change). My oldest will teach it on the days that I have to work. I will participate a few days a week by watching experiments, taking pictures, and reading with them.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I almost sent you a PM to ask about it, since you are my science expert. I have some more questions for you that I will PM later. I have to go right now.

I was sold on BJU because of the reviews and description... then I looked at the textbook. I don't think Emily would like it. She is used to reading adult or young-adult material, not something written for a younger age group. I also didn't like it. Every paragraph started with "God designed the ______ to ______." I found that annoying period with the repition, but also since we are trying to hit a happy medium between evolution and creation in this house. We don't know for sure how things were originally designed to function and how they have changed.

Edited by Lovedtodeath