Menu

Rod & Staff 8th or 9th grade English for a rising 9th grader

My 8th grade daughter is finishing R&S 7th grade english. SHe is a very good writer and generally very good in grammar. I had her do 7th grade english again this year more because of some family disruptions last year. My question is: should I put her in 8th grade En. or skip to 9th grd Eng for next year? Is there a big difference between the two? Is there enough review in the 9th grade of the 8th grade presented material. She has always scored in the high 90's percentile in standardized testing and she will be doing alot of writing in other subjects next year. Just wondering should I just proceed to book 8 and do 9th and 10th in 10th and 11th grade?

My 8th grade daughter is finishing R&S 7th grade english. SHe is a very good writer and generally very good in grammar. I had her do 7th grade english again this year more because of some family disruptions last year. My question is: should I put her in 8th grade En. or skip to 9th grd Eng for next year? Is there a big difference between the two? Is there enough review in the 9th grade of the 8th grade presented material. She has always scored in the high 90's percentile in standardized testing and she will be doing alot of writing in other subjects next year. Just wondering should I just proceed to book 8 and do 9th and 10th in 10th and 11th grade?
Honestly, I feel Level 8 is more practical! I saw the Levels 9 & 10 books once, and they went into some great detail and had things in them that didn't seem like we needed, so we didn't go past Level 8.

That's just MHO though, others may think otherwise. :001_smile:

What do you think was the major difference. I understand that R&S 9 &10 supposedly focuses more on composition, but if she is getting that through IEW or something else, does she really need more. I'm going to a homeschooling convention this weekend and I'll get a chance to look at it. Just wondering. Do you recommend any grammar review for 9th grade?

My oldest did A Beka in 9th and BJU in 10th, my 2nd did R&S 6 in 7th, R&S 7 in 8th, and R&S 8 in 9th. DD struggled more and did R&S 4 in 6th, and R&S 5 in 7th. Even so, she's doing the MFW AHL this year, which has the grammar portion with it, and is doing just fine! Some programs, such as MFW come with the grammar included. Not sure what you're doing otherwise, though.

That's all I really have experience with, so maybe someone else can help more... I hope! :D