Menu

math question: Square roots

At what level should the following problem be understood?

Square root of 72 minus square root of 50

(to be done without a calculator, of course).

I'd be interested in knowing at what level your children could answer that question, and what math program they used.

Thanks!

My daughter also did it using the book Bev said. She was a little younger (7 when she started book, but could have been 8 when she learned that), but also enjoyed those.

I haven't done it yet with my 13yo though, if that matters. Hmmmm, but now looking at it, it looks that my son could answer that kind in his head if I showed him how. Is there a curriculum that is presenting those to younger kids as mental math or "fun math?"

Thanks!

OK, clue me in.

I seem to have forgotten how to find square roots, besides the whole numbers I've memorized, without a calculator :confused: (if I ever knew.)

We did Foerster Algebra last year and I don't remember this.

Okay, here's how I'm solving it.

Square root of 72 is equal to the square root of the quantity 36 times 2. This equals 6 times the square root of 2.

Square root of 50 is equal to the square root of the quantity 25 times 2. This equals 5 times the square root of 2.

Subtracting the latter from the former leaves the square root of 2 as the answer. Curriculum used? Older brain with vague memories of years gone past.

Regards,

Kareni

I'm not sure about those sorts of square roots, but I'll tell you that dd8 is using Saxon Math 3 (just finished--yippee!) and she's been doing things like the square root of 81 minus the square root of 25 for about two months now. I'd imagine they get into the more difficult square roots next year, which would be 8-10 years old.

Don't know if that's helpful or not!

At what level should the following problem be understood?

Square root of 72 minus square root of 50

(to be done without a calculator, of course).

I'd be interested in knowing at what level your children could answer that question, and what math program they used.

Hi--

Assuming you mean simplifying and combining the terms (answer: square root of 2), rather than being able to derive a numerical approximation without the use of a calculator, my children learned to do that in algebra 1. They all used UCSMP Algebra, which is a sufficient, but not an intense, algebra 1 program.

HTH!

I found the above in a placement test for an algebra 1 class.

So far, I had considered my son ready for algebra 1, but he's never been exposed to square roots at that level. I was wondering if I had found a gap in his knowledge, or if the class in question was more advanced than average, or if his pre-algebra class was not strong enough.

It would seem it's all of the above, since this math knowledge seems to be in either pre-algebra or algebra 1. I know I can explain it in 2 seconds, and he'll pick it up. But I'm worried about other possible gaps.

I'll check out Chalkdust pre-algebra. Or Singapore NEM. Maybe more Singapore.. I wonder at what level they will teach this concept.

Assuming you mean simplifying and combining the terms (answer: square root of 2), rather than being able to derive a numerical approximation without the use of a calculator, my children learned to do that in algebra 1. They all used UCSMP Algebra, which is a sufficient, but not an intense, algebra 1 program.

HTH!

LOL! You know that's ironic. I'd forgotten my son knew how to extract square roots manually! He *could* have done it the long way, barring any calculation errors...

I introduced dd to the topic in 5th grade, but it was fully covered in 6th grade in the Dolciani S&M book. Like both Bev's and Pamela's children, she loved these things.

They are not in my ps'd niece's Glencoe Pre-Algebra book at all, if that helps.

unless there is more than just the rt problem, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I believe you said he has a concept of what a root is. He will learn to expand on the basic idea and make mathematical inferences. The key to simplifying your sample problem is to realize since the numbers are both multiples of rt 2 then they can be subtracted and thus further simplied.

Remember that each publisher's series will also cover different info in different depths in different years of study.

My 2 cents,

Susie

unless there is more than just the rt problem, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I believe you said he has a concept of what a root is

He was introduced to the concept of roots in Kinder. With manipulatives, he could extract exact square roots and cubic roots, when he was 5yo! This year, with MUS Pre-algebra he learned how to extract non exact roots by hand.

My son is hard to place when we switch curricula. He did Singapore 1 to 4, but balked at 5. We went back to Défi-Math 5 and 6 (local program in French, that is very very strong, but doesn't follow any standard approach - that's the program teaching square roots in Kinder.) He also did MUS pre-algebra because he wanted to play with his sister's manipulatives.

Now is the time to jump to high school (starts in grade 7 here, and in Singapore too, also in French - grade 6 actually) Anyway, the short story is that all of our book series have ended, and he's got to move. I'm looking at various placement tests to look for gaps, and levels.

... you need to switch. My oldest started Algebra 1 in 6th and my youngest will start in 9th. My experience seems to be on both ends of the spectrum! haha Mine have had great success with ChalkDust but there are lots of good math programs out there.

Happy curriculum hunting!

Susie

He was introduced to the concept of roots in Kinder. With manipulatives, he could extract exact square roots and cubic roots, when he was 5yo! This year, with MUS Pre-algebra he learned how to extract non exact roots by hand.

My son is hard to place when we switch curricula. He did Singapore 1 to 4, but balked at 5. We went back to Défi-Math 5 and 6 (local program in French, that is very very strong, but doesn't follow any standard approach - that's the program teaching square roots in Kinder.) He also did MUS pre-algebra because he wanted to play with his sister's manipulatives.

Now is the time to jump to high school (starts in grade 7 here, and in Singapore too, also in French - grade 6 actually) Anyway, the short story is that all of our book series have ended, and he's got to move. I'm looking at various placement tests to look for gaps, and levels.

It's hard to know when/where to place asynchronous and advanced children. My daughter started algebra at 7 (as mentioned above). My son was 11 when he did BCM, but we decided he STILL wasn't ready (and I chose BCM after he tested into Algebra). Different kids just need different things.

I will say that I have NEVER regretted making my kids take a course twice (and I've done it more than once with dd and probably will with ds) using different materials. I also took Algebra I twice and though I made straight 99's the second time, I felt like it gave me more than any other option could have in terms of math ability and confidence.

Anyway, that probably doesn't help a whole lot. But I just figured I'd share.