Menu

New York homeschool for high school questions

Hi there,

I am looking for something that will set us up for High School. My dh want the kids in a accredited program so when all is said and done with hsing they get a dipolma from them instead of me making one. Saying that, my kids are only in 5th and 6th grade but I want to get on the right track. Suggestions please........

Hi there,

I am looking for something that will set us up for High School. My dh want the kids in a accredited program so when all is said and done with hsing they get a dipolma from them instead of me making one. Saying that, my kids are only in 5th and 6th grade but I want to get on the right track. Suggestions please........

The only accredited program that I know of that is accepted by CUNY here in NYC is ABeka (daughter of a friend got in that way). I expect that they would also accept the American School and maybe BJU but they have refused to give me a list - they push for a GED. Not homeschool friendly at all around here.

You should ask around some SUNYs in your area. I know that many private colleges don't care about an accredited diploma and accept a homeschool transcript with no fuss.

Basically, even if you get an accredited diploma there is no guarantee that the college your child wants will need or accept that diploma. So, don't spend too much!

Regulations:

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/part100/pages/10010.html

Q&A from the state education website:

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/nonpub/homeinstruction/homeschoolingqanda.html

I'm in NY, and just finishing high school with my oldest, looking toward 9th grade with my 2nd, so all of this stuff is on the top layer of mental detritus.:tongue_smilie:

I'm not clear exactly what you are asking about. Do you want a list of accredited homeschooling programs?

Or wanting to know about NYs requirements for high school?

Are you asking what NY colleges/universities require?

I'm not sure what Lisa Q is saying, but I know from our experience that a student does NOT need an accredited diploma to be accepted to SUNY Geneseo. There are five ways to meet the NY requirements for homeschoolers, (accredited diploma program, 5 specific regents exams, 24 specific college credits -- which can be taken after you matriculate, GED or letter from superintendent of your district stating your student has received a substantially equivalent education).

If you have any one of these, they need to accept it. Of course, that doesn't guarantee acceptance TO the school.

In terms of what accredited diplomas are acceptable, the State Ed site, says:

When a student has completed a high school program through correspondence study, the correspondence school must be recognized, authorized, or approved by the state educational entity where the correspondence school is located. Additional validation of the high school program in the form of regional accreditation adds to the acceptability of such credentials. (The regional accrediting agencies include: the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools; the New England Association of Colleges and Schools; the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges; the Northwest Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities; the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools; and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.)

From our experience, they don't ask how you are going to meet this requirement when you apply. My son ended up deciding to go elsewhere, but Geneseo was happy with our "homemade" transcript. I assume at some point the question would have come up if he'd enrolled. He will have the letter from the superintendent in his file, in case he ever needs it.

Hope this gets you started.

Peace†,

Maura

NY State rules are confusing and are implemented differently by different colleges. In 2008 the State Education Department stated that :

"Residents of New York State may not use a high school program of correspondence study to meet the requirements for high school in New York State" (NYSED-3/20/2008).

So although the language Maura quoted would indicate an accredited correspondence program is acceptable I don't think it actually is any more, and a number of state colleges specifically state on their admissions information for homeschoolers that it is not acceptable. I enrolled my daughter in an accredited program in 2007 thinking it would be accepted, and was not pleased to find out a year later that it no longer was good enough. So if you want to enroll for other reasons go ahead, but don't count on the state accepting it.

My daughter applied to 4 SUNY schools, and two of them (Brockport and Fredonia) required that she provide proof she had met NY requirements for homeschoolers before they would even admit her. The other two (Oneonta and ESF) require proof before she matriculates. In addition one private school (Nazareth College) also indicated they would require this proof before she matriculated. I didn't ask about it at any of the private schools, Nazareth volunteered the information, so it is quite possible other private schools in NY also expect this.

The easiest way to show equivalence is to get a letter from the Superintendent, and that is what all the colleges I talked to assumed we would do. Whether you use an accredited program or not, if you file all the required paperwork with the district you should get the letter, and that is the fastest, easiest way to go. Of course with the age of your children it is quite like the regulations will change before they reach high school age, or even while they are in high school as happened with my daughter.

CUNY is not homeschool friendly. Neither is SUNY Stonybrook....that is why I suggested that the OP contact her local SUNYs. This is the first year they (ETA: CUNY) have agreed to accept the letter from the Superintendent and they will not even process my 18yo's application until they receive it. IOW, she won't be able to start until January.

But - an accredited diploma may not have made a difference!

We had no problem with private colleges but I know that some colleges require more than a homemade transcript - ymmv.

Edited by Liza Q

The only accredited program that I know of that is accepted by CUNY here in NYC is ABeka (daughter of a friend got in that way).

Specifically, that would have to be enrollment in ABeka Academy, not just using all ABeka books. Only the Academy is accredited, and only if you use the accredited program, not the independent study.

I expect that they would also accept the American School and maybe BJU but they have refused to give me a list - they push for a GED. Not homeschool friendly at all around here.

BJUP's Academy of Home Education is not accredited (just using the books alone wouldn't count, anyway. Textbooks are never accredited; only schools are.).

Just so you and your dh understand that even if you enroll your dc in an accredited distance-learning program of some kind, you'll still have to follow NY's homeschool requirements (NOI, IEPs, quarterly reports, the whole thing).