Menu

Sooo, let's say you had a turkey and two hams in your chest freezer

And let's say, for the sake of argument, that they were 2-3 years old, but had been at the very bottom of the relatively new, very reliable chest freezer the whole time. Would you cook and eat said turkey and hams? Or would you leave them hidden at the bottom of your deep freeze and continue to pretend you'd never made such a grievous oversight in your food management? I'm not saying, of course, that I've done such a thing. I just wondered, if it were to happen, what the hive mind might do.

:D

According to this page that I found, recommended storage times are for quality only. So I guess that means that we can eat them as long as the packaging is still intact. They're all packed in plastic, and have been well protected at the bottom of the freezer, so I guess I'll figure out some way to use them.

Uh, I mean..we could eat them...they would be packed...wait, I'm confused. Shoot! free-scared-smileys-366.gif

I'd probably cook them . . .they may have some freezer burn, but it's not going to make you sick or anything. If they tasted really freezer burnt after cooking, then I'd throw them out, but that hasn't been an issue with our chest freezer. We did throw out some smoked turkey legs (don't know how old they were), because after trying them, they just didn't taste good (and it may have been the smoke and not how long they'd been in the freezer).

According to this page that I found, recommended storage times are for quality only. So I guess that means that we can eat them as long as the packaging is still intact. They're all packed in plastic, and have been well protected at the bottom of the freezer, so I guess I'll figure out some way to use them.

Uh, I mean..we could eat them...they would be packed...wait, I'm confused. Shoot! free-scared-smileys-366.gif

The meat may be dry, or the texture may be off. But it's not going to be bacteria-ridden at all.

ENJOY!