Menu

Is it possible to have a positive UTI in office but negative culture?

I have had nausea all week. I have had no symptoms of a UTI. None. I have had them before and know what they are like.

I go to the Dr's yesterday. She is not my regular Dr. She is a nurse practioner. She does a urine dip, and tells me I have blood in my urine and something else(High wbc??). Anyways, she says that is what is causing my nausea.

I have had UTI dips in the office before and have them come back negative on the 48 culture every.single.time.

She is confident that this will come back positive. I have had one kidney stone before, and I am wondering if I have one or one is passing that is small causing the blood in my urine.

The last kidney stone I had landed me in the ER in a lot of pain.

I jus do not understand how having a UTI can cause constant nausea.(I am not pregnant). And I didn't have the burning or full bladder feeling, or the urge to urinate all the time, that is typical.

I wonder if this was just an accidental finding.

I took my second dose of cipro today. I still have nausea. I do not feel any worse, but I do not feel any better either.

what do you think?

I know I've had a UTI before and the culture came back negative. I'd been peeing straight blood for days and was in so much pain I could barely move. Then my doctor comes in and tells me that the culture was negative, but we would just assume I had a UTI anyway, as the signs were pretty clear, lol.

As far as only having nausea, though, I'm not sure. I've never had a UTI with that as the only symptom. I'd probably get a second opinion, if I was you.

If the nausea does not subside by Monday, I will have to see another Dr.. My own Dr. is on vacation next week. Figures.

The culture in the office was positive. But I am wondering if it is possible to have the 48 hour one done in the lab come back negative.

Timely post. I just went to the hospital this morning -- my regular doc was on call there -- and I do have a UTI. The strip was positive, but the culture said no. Doc went with the strip and my symptoms and gave me a prescription.

On a side note, I have say that I love my health care here. I had called yesterday, far late into the day and my doc had already gone home, but his receptionist said to go to the little hospital in the morning. She left instructions for the nurses about me and I was in and out in 20 minutes, with my prescription filled and in hand. I'll get a bill for the prescription in a couple of weeks, but the visit was free of course. I couldn't have had an easier time at a hospital if I tried!

I thought I'd been p**ing more than usual. I, too, went in to the dr yesterday and provided :lol: a urine sample. It came back with a little higher trace of wbc's. :confused: I've had 2 UTI's in the past that had a little red blood, but the nurse called and said no red blood, but a little bit of wbc.

They sent it off for a culture and I'll hear Monday. Dancer, I'm having the exact same symptoms as you right now. I felt only a little queasy on Wed. Going a little more. No burning or pain though. The nurse said that Monday will reveal probably an infection OR inflammation. What's the difference?

Well, my fear is that I have a kidney stone. I had one 5 years ago and it was terrible.

I don't know if I have one working down slowly. But the last time I had a kidney stone it came on suddenly. One minute I was fine and the next I was in the ER with morphine.

Cipro is not going to cure a kidney stone. As of now, I have no symptoms of one. Other then the blood in the urine. I will know it if one is happening. I just hope it doesn't.:confused:

I walked around with a kidney infection for 2 months because my doctor (only doctor in town) at the time refused to give me good sulfa drugs because even though I had every symptom in the book the culture came back negative time after time. I finally had to go to another city to the ER.

I swear the town doc thought I was seeking antibiotics for some social disease.

So what do you trust? The culture in the office? Or the 48 culture from the lab?

The dipstick (no pun inteended) showed positive in the office.

So do they tell you to keep takimg the antibiotics if the lab culture is negative?

Seems like a flawed system to me.

If the nausea does not subside by Monday, I will have to see another Dr.. My own Dr. is on vacation next week. Figures.

The culture in the office was positive. But I am wondering if it is possible to have the 48 hour one done in the lab come back negative.

Yes. The sample could have been mishandled, gotten too warm/cold/etc and the bacteria could die off.

Katie

To see what kind of bacteria are there, and what the best antibiotic would be. Theoretically the culture is more accurate. But..in real life crap happens, and I have lost track of how many times I've sent sample to a lab where I KNEW there was infection (think an abcess with obvious pus, or a canine ear infection, etc), I saw bacteria on a slide in the office, but the outside lab's culture came back "no growth".

So basically, they put you on an antibiotic, and not even sure if it is the correct one until the culture comes back. And thats if it comes back positive at all.

Maybe that is why they gave me cipro? Guess it is the grandaddy of all antibiotics. But again, if the culture comes back negative, I may not of even had a UTI to begin with, and I was on medication for nothing.

The only symptom I had was nausea. No other symptoms.

Just sounds like a very flawed system to me.

It is looking for bacteria, white blood cells, nitrites, and leukocyte esterase in the urine, which can be signs of infection. Without this test, the choices are antibiotics for everyone until the culture is back (and cultures, too, can be wrong) or wait at least 48 hours until culture is back. It's an imperfect, but additional, data point.

It is also sometimes appropriate to give antibiotics when someone has a kidney stone. Infection of the kidney "behind" an obstructing stone can be life-threatening in some cases.

Cipro is used instead of bactrim as a first choice antibiotic in some areas where sulfa-resistant organisms are very common causes of infection.