Menu

Who are some of your favorite actors & actresses...

I really like Russell Crowe and Kevin Bacon. actors and actresses that have divorced kind of get a negative mark in my book. I think it's sad. I used to like Reese Witherspoon, I think she's a good actress, but I guess Hollywood and marriage wasn't a good match for her. I hope Jennifer Garner & Ben Affleck continue to make it work. I also Like Matt Damon. So who are some of your favorite actors/actresses.

Kristine

You know, many people on this board are divorced.

???

Even in Hollywood, I don't think we always know the whole story.

Is your question about the quality of the person's acting, or how we perceive the actors' character?

I don't know about their character, but, I sure do like their movies:

Joaquin Pheonix, Reese Witherspoon, Colin Firth, Julia Roberts, Jonathon Rhys Meyers, Heath Ledger:(, Ben Kingsley, Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington, and, believe it or not, Katie Holmes (don't ask me to explain, I just can't)

Classic actors/actresses:

Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Elizabeth Taylor, Sydney Potier, Audrey Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Debra Kerr, Lucille Ball, Dick Van Dyke

actors and actresses that have divorced kind of get a negative mark in my book. I think it's sad. I used to like Reese Witherspoon, I think she's a good actress, but I guess Hollywood and marriage wasn't a good match for her. Kristine

Do you also think poorly of neighbors, friends, doctors, teachers, etc. who have divorced?

Wow.....I"m not divorced, but I worry that those who are would be offended by that statement.

My favs:

Alive: Russell Crowe, Leonardo DiCaprio, Edward Norton, William H. Macy, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Paul Giamatti, Chris Cooper, Will Ferrell, Bruce Willis, Jamie Lee Curtis, Drew Barrymore, Meryl Streep and Robert DeNiro.

Deceased: Sir Laurence Olivier, William Holden, Bette Davis and Cary Grant

I used to like Reese Witherspoon, I think she's a good actress, but I guess Hollywood and marriage wasn't a good match for her.

Well, if the accounts "out there" are to be believed, her husband, who cheated on her, was probably the mis-match.

I love Tom Cruise.

(Just for the record, I don't. I find him...uh...weird. But, I did almost leave this statement without the disclaimer, just to see what would happen. I didn't, though, because that would be dishonest, and I've got small group coming over in a few minutes, and I just couldn't leave anyone reading this thinking that I really do like him. :D)

Johnny Depp, Russell Crowe, Alan Rickman, Chris Cooper, Joaquin Phoenix, Anthony Hopkins, Shia Labeouf, Freddy Highmore (sp?), Bill Nighy, Tony Curran, Val Kilmer, Morgan Freeman, Ewan McGregor, Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Hugh Laurie, that's all I can think of right now. :)

• Michael Weatherly (DiNozzo on NCIS)
  • Pauley Perrette (also on NCIS)
  • Tony Shaloub
  • Meg Ryan
  • Tom Hanks
  • Owen Wilson (Meet the Parents & the ones w/ Jackie Chan)
  • Ben Stiller (Meet the Parents)
  • Albert Brooks (Defending Your Life)
  • Adam Sandler (especially in Spanglish)
  • James Roday (Psych)
  • Ben Kingsley
  • Reese Witherspoon
  • Jean Smart
  • Christina Applegate
  • Will Smith
  • Sean Connery

That exhausted me! I'm sure there are more, but the names escape me right now.

Sorry about the divorce remark, it came out sounding wrong. I think the media draws sooo much attention movie stars and their lives that it sometimes gives me a bad impression of them. We are in a sinful world. I've got divorce in my family, I know people that are divorced, have friends and neighbors that are. I personally do think it's wrong, but know that it happens.

Kristine

Off the top of my head:

Sean Bean, Tom Hanks, Alan Rickman, Ewan MacGregor, Ian McKellen, Christopher Guest, Christopher Lee, Kenneth Branagh, ...

Meryl Streep, Meg Ryan, Parker Posey, Catherine O'Hara, Liv Tyler, Cate Blanchett, Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, ...

Guess you can tell what some of my favorite movies are, huh?

Wendi

and make you forget they are Russell Crowe or Meryl Streep....

My other favorites Johnny Depp, Val Kilmer, Chris Cooper, Joaquin Phoenix, Anthony Hopkins, and Christian Slater.

I was watching some "extra bonus features" on an House DVD about the "House Band" and was kinda shocked about how much Hugh Laurie looked like an old, homeless, Brit (his clothing choices were awlful and his bald spot was showing) - not the sexy Dr. House. The illusion was broken...:confused:

I don't really want to know about the actors personal lives. They are never as interesting as the characters they play and if they are -- it's not in a good way.

k

My ds and I watched Master Commander with Russell Crowe this afternoon. Although I would not list him as a favorite actor we really enjoyed him in the movie.

My list

Alan Rickman

Colin Firth

Emma Thompson

Orlando Bloom

Tom Hanks

Meg Ryan

Robin Williams

Susan Sarandon

That is all I can think of at the moment.

I love Toshiro Mifune too! Oh boy, here we go... the ones I can think of right now. Yes, I watch a lot of movies.

Chiwetel Ejiofor

Sergi López

Ray Winstone

Ben Kingsley

Guy Pearce

Danny Huston

Daniel Day-Lewis

Don Cheadle

Benno Fürmann

Jean Reno

Gary Oldman

Johnny Depp

Tom Wilkinson

Cillian Murphy

Colin Firth

Ed Norton

John Malkovich

John Turturro

Kenneth Branagh

Laurence Fishburne

Clive Owen

Colin Farrell

Stephen Rea

Gabriel Byrne

Kevin Spacey

Liam Neeson

Aaron Eckhart

Gael García Bernal

Audrey Tautou

Franka Potente

Claire Danes

Isabelle Huppert

Emma Thompson

Gong Li

Scarlett Johansson

Judi Dench

Helen Mirren

Cate Blanchett

Frances McDormand

Kate Winslet

Julianne Moore

Toni Collette

Judi Davis

Sophie Okonedo

I've liked Philip Seymour Hoffman in everything I've caught him in (haven't even seen Capote yet!)

William H. Macy

and Felicity Huffman, too

(Was anyone else a Sports Night fan? I adored that show!)

Julia Stiles

Tony Shalhoub

Sean Bean

Nathan Lane always makes me laugh

Allison Janey pops up in unexpected places, doesn't she?

love/hate Steve Martin - can never decide

Gene Wilder

Audrey Hepburn

all over the map, I guess - sometimes someone just seems so fascinating, so I follow them for a few more flicks. The talk about Alan Rickman has whet my appetite. (I'm just now reading HP, so we'll probably embark on those films soon.)

. . . I like Ryan Reynolds . . .

I just heard the other day he's signed on to play Repairman Jack. I only remembered him from that sitcom about a million years ago! (Two guys...pizza place, whatever.) Anyone else follow the FPW books? (One of my guilty pleasures.)

Hugh Laurie, Johnny Depp, Tom Hanks, Alan Rickman, Sean Bean, Colin Firth, Patrick Stewart, Nathan Fillion, Harrison Ford, John Malkovitch, Geoffrey Rush, Kenneth Branagh.

As for actresses, Emma Thompson, Helena Bonham-Carter, Nicole Kidman, Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Kate Winslett.

Are we talking good "actor" or just drop-dead gorgeous?? My favorite actors/actresses (as in acting ability) are all dead...

Gary Cooper

Michael Landon

Katherine Hepburn

Danny Kaye

Bing Crosby

Burt Lancaster

Gene Kelly

Judy Garland

Dorothy McGuire

Current Actors/Actresses tend more towards eye candy and less towards ability with these glaring exceptions (IMHO)...

Viggo Mortensen

Emma Thompson

Densel Washington

I'm sure there are others but I don't watch much tv so I'm rather clueless. Now if we are going on eye/ear candy alone, I like just about any guy with a accent. There is just something about it that gives me warm tingles. :p

I do find that as I get older, my opinions of what makes a good actor are more defined. I find that their character off the screen influences how I feel about them on screen much more than it used to.

Actors who I like off screen as well as on......

Audrey Hepburn

Will Smith

Denzel Washington

Julia Roberts

Jennifer Aniston

Ben Stiller

Jim Carey

Johnny Depp

LOL

You should try season 3 of Black Adder. It will not only break your illusion, it will make it turn back flips.

I've loved him since then, but I had no idea he was sexy until House. He does look scrungy in the video, but I can forgive anyone who makes me laugh like that.

No you won't stop...I bet you already have at least 5 more you forgot!;)

I know Jenny IRL and she LOVES movies! Everything she has ever recommended has been fabulous...Wait there was one movie.....can't remember...I did not like....I know....

Anyway, my favs

Actors

Orlando Bloom (my current crush)

Tom Cruise (my old crush)

Russell Crowe (my always crush)

Jet Li (love everything he has ever been in)

Collin Firth

Jackie Chan

Don Cheadle

Brad Pitt

Leonardo DiCaprio

George Cloney

Will Smith

And then this is when Jenny helps me.......

The guy from the BWM commercials that does movies now

The Casio Royal James Bond

The guy that plays Sirius Black

The guy from Trainspotting and Crank (was that the same guy?? If not both of them)

Michael Collin's guy

Actresses

Kate Winslet

Gong Li

Zhang Ziyi

Audrey Toutou

Selma hayek

Michael Yeoh

Help Jenny....

the girl from Bride and Prejuidice

OK that is it from me!

Oliver Platt 'cause I love a smart a** and he plays such a great one!

Kiera Knightley (sp)

Leo Di Caprio

Sean Penn

Viggo Mortensen

Orlando Bloom

Johnny Depp

Kate Winslet

Nicholas Cage I don't think he has great ability but I love his movies

Patrick Stewart

Jodie Foster

Antonio Banderas

Catherine Zeta Jones

:( I am disillusioned about Vin Diesel -he is Bi and also

Sean Connery he cried like a baby when he got a splinter on set.

And then this is when Jenny helps me.......

The guy from the BWM commercials that does movies now (Clive Owen?)

The Casio Royal James Bond (Daniel Craig)

The guy that plays Sirius Black (Gary Oldman)

The guy from Trainspotting and Crank (was that the same guy?? If not both of them) (Ewan McGregor) & (Jason Statham)

Michael Collin's guy (Liam Neeson) or (Aidan Quinn)

Actresses

Help Jenny....

the girl from Bride and Prejuidice (Aishwarya Rai)

OK that is it from me!

I love Tom Cruise.

(Just for the record, I don't. I find him...uh...weird. But, I did almost leave this statement without the disclaimer, just to see what would happen. I didn't, though, because that would be dishonest, and I've got small group coming over in a few minutes, and I just couldn't leave anyone reading this thinking that I really do like him. :D)

:eek: Whoboy, you scared me for a minute! I'm glad I kept reading before I regretted posting something about Tom in a horrible Mountain Dew-spilling NASCAR pileup. :D

:eek: Whoboy, you scared me for a minute! I'm glad I kept reading before I regretted posting something about Tom in a horrible Mountain Dew-spilling NASCAR pileup. :D

Hey now!!! No Tom Cruise bashing!:p He was my first crush back when I was like 7 and I love all the MI movies he had done. What can I say....I am easy! ;)

There really isn't anyone where I say, Oh that person is in the movie - I have to see it.

I like movies, I like characters in movies, I like an actor's portrayal in that movie. I just don't choose to see a movie based on the presence of someone I have liked in another setting.

The current crop of actors aren't good enough to be fabulous in every movie. They choose bad scripts, the director messes with the story, they don't bring something original to the film. Most of them are just pretty and coasting on that (and some aren't even that!)