Menu

Where do homeschooled kids go to college?

Next year, I will begin homeschooling my kindergardener for the first time. Although our families are very supportive (at least to our faces!), they do have some questions. One question in particular that my mom has asked me several times is, "Where do all these homeschool kids go to college?"

Have any of you graduated homeschooled kids and sent them off to college? If so, and you don't mind sharing, I'd love to hear about it!

David and Micki Colfax's son Grant made big news back in the 80s when he was accepted into Harvard. His brother Drew followed him, and maybe also Reed.

Colleges and universities all over the U.S. accept homeschooled grads. Some even actively recruit homeschoolers because they do so well.

Thanks! I didn't even see that board!

They can definitely go wherever they want to go based on their academic and extra curricular achievement. Middle son has the academic scores to be courted by everyone (at least with the mass mailings they send due to the scores). He literally has a stack of these mailings that is 2 feet high and is considering some highly selective schools as well as a couple of sure things. Two major state schools (so far) have sent him mailings telling him he can get free tuition if he chooses them. They are both out of state schools for us. He might consider one of them, but he won't be applying until fall of this year. One of our local state related schools asked us if he would consider going a year early (no - that's not for us). He is considering that school for next year though, and might get free tuition there too (that part is competitive for this school - the other schools base it solely on scores).

Note: Competitive schools will still be competitive. Homeschooling does not assure that a student will or won't get in, but they certainly are courted to the same level as their ps peers with the same scores.

Note two: SAT and ACT scores are more heavily weighed with homeschoolers. It can also help to have AP or community college credits to "back up" a homeschooling GPA.

The high school and college boards are great places to hang out for info.

Colleges and universities all over the U.S. accept homeschooled grads. Some even actively recruit homeschoolers because they do so well.

I've posted this before, but my sister (homeschooled) went to Vanderbilt School of Law. She also started her own law practice. Also, she was one of the youngest to graduate there - I want to say she was 22 or 23.

My oldest will be attending the University of Florida (Go Gators!) in the fall. He applied to three schools (UF, Hillsdale, and University of Central Florida) and got accepted at all three. He is graduating high school and will also be graduating with his associate of arts degree from St. Petersburg College. He will enter UF's School of Accounting as a junior in the fall. We're all very excited!

I started homeschooling my younger two 5 years ago, and the oldest 4 years ago (high school). Homeschooling does work! Don't listen to people when they say, "well, what about college...transcripts...etc.!" I wish I had started earlier, but they went to a private Christian school and did well. Enjoy your time with your children...it goes by WAY too fast!!!

Pretty much any college they want! :001_smile:

You beat me to the punch.

Every college dd applied she was accepted at, and they were not necessarily on a hs friendly list. They were just colleges that she wanted that specialized in her field.

OK, proud mama moment here :D Oldest dd is a freshman at Rose-Hulman which has been rated the #1 engineering school 12 years in a row by US News & World Report. To say, it's extremely competitive is a definate understatement! She's done very well taking 16-18 credit hours per quarter and earning Dean's list each quarter so far. She was also a National Merit Scholarship winner. We focused on a well rounded academic curriculum but academics were only a small part of our lives.

I have two sons in college. Both were homeschooled from K-12. Really, they could have gone any number of places! The application process was obviously a bit more complicated than it would be if they had been in school, but I kept good records of grades, accomplishments, community service, etc., so it wasn't terrible.

My oldest is finishing his junior year at a small Christian college and ds#2 is finishing his freshman year at a local college (which has a great reputation, we just happen to live 1/2 hour away). Both boys received nice scholarships based on academics. #1 had to attend a weekend of testing to compete for his scholarship, but they also awarded him the standard "we want you to come here soooo bad" scholarship. ;)

Btw, I wouldn't consider son #2 to have been an A student in high school, and his transcript reflected that. He also received average scores on the SAT. He was, however, able to write a decent essay for applications, had a lot of community service experience, and was good in an interview.

We did not have any problems with the boys getting into college having been home schooled. Fwiw, I have a very large circle of home schooling friends, and I am hard pressed to think of any whose kids didn't get into college.

Some colleges are now actively recruiting home schooled students, as they find them to be more responsible and good representatives of their institutions. (This was from the mouth of an admissions representative.) Do not fret!:001_smile:

Like everyone else said. They go pretty much anywhere.

DD19 attends New College of Florida in Sarasota, this is the Honors College of Florida's public university system.

DD17 attends our local community college through dual enrollment. High school aged kids (including homeschoolers) can take college classes which double as college credit as well as high school credit on their transcripts. Because they are still offically high schoolers they do not need to pay tuition. Homeschoolers have to buy their own college textbooks but the publich schoolers have theirs provided free. :glare: (grrr - textbooks are expensive).

hope this helps

High school aged kids (including homeschoolers) can take college classes which double as college credit as well as high school credit on their transcripts. Because they are still offically high schoolers they do not need to pay tuition. Homeschoolers have to buy their own college textbooks but the publich schoolers have theirs provided free. :glare: (grrr - textbooks are expensive).

hope this helps

Just want to note that the bolded part is not universal. It depends on the state and area you live in. Here in PA (meaning at our cc locally here in PA), high school aged students can only take cc classes IF they test into college level classes via college placement testing (must pass it all - not just the subject they wish to take). They must be at least 16, have good SAT or ACT scores, and a recommendation from their evaluator or guidance counselor if in ps. Then they pay full freight, which, for us, is $220 per credit hour (or $660 for a 3 hour course) and textbooks/fees.

Just want to note that the bolded part is not universal. It depends on the state and area you live in. Here in PA (meaning at our cc locally here in PA), high school aged students can only take cc classes IF they test into college level classes via college placement testing (must pass it all - not just the subject they wish to take). They must be at least 16, have good SAT or ACT scores, and a recommendation from their evaluator or guidance counselor if in ps. Then they pay full freight, which, for us, is $220 per credit hour (or $660 for a 3 hour course) and textbooks/fees.

Ouch. Now I don't feel so whiny about paying for the textbooks. :001_smile:

I knew it depended on the state. My sister paid tuition for her dd to take cc classes in AZ, but the price you mentioned surpised me.

Florida also requires good SAT or ACT scores, (or College Placement Test), a meeting with the enrollment advisor, the student, and the parents, and 16 years old or 12 high school credit hours completed. The incoming requirements at our local community college were not stiff, both dds placed into classes very easily.

It is a good program to look into when the time comes.

Mine are too young at this point, but I was talking to a girlfriend yesterday who's son is trying to decide between accepting scholarships to a UC (University of California) school and 2 State schools. He's pre-med. I would say that's not a bad position to be in for a homeschooler.:D (OK, that last statement didn't turn out the way I wanted. Makes homeschoolers sound bad. Like we're sub-par. I guess I was thinking of it from the point of view of those who think a homeschool education is sub-par. Sorry!)