Menu

For the love of cake, people, when you review something, tell me more than, "I loved it!" or "My kids loved it".

I don't particularly care that you loved it, I want to know WHY you loved it! Give me something to connect with! Give me strengths and weaknesses. Tell me a bit about your family so I can get a visual of what you're dealing with when you use this item.

"I love these materials" is NOT a review!

BAH!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish posters would be honest in their assessments and expect the same from others. I saw a thread recently where someone gave an honest assessment of materials, and she was criticized because the author frequents this board.

One does not need to be rude, but truthful responses are appreciated…at least by me!

:D

It's right up there with, "We received these materials about 2 weeks ago and I just have to say that are the best materials ever. We love them! We will never use anything else."

I always wonder how it's going after 6 months and why I keep finding reviews for materials that teach the exact same thing by the same reviewer a year later.

It's right up there with, "We received these materials about 2 weeks ago and I just have to say that are the best materials ever. We love them! We will never use anything else."

I always wonder how it's going after 6 months and why I keep finding reviews for materials that teach the exact same thing by the same reviewer a year later.

Got to agree here. I would like a review from someone who has actually USED the product. Used as in gone from the beginning to the end (or somewhere close). Giving a review on something you have barely had out of the box just doesn't really count. At the least, make sure you put how long you have been using the material.

What I hate are 1 star reviews that only pan some seller who didn't send the book or who described the condition more favorably than warranted. The transaction has nothing to do with the book itself.

:iagree: Yes, like on Amazon. I wonder if these people are really, well, that dumb. :001_huh:

What I hate are 1 star reviews that only pan some seller who didn't send the book or who described the condition more favorably than warranted. The transaction has nothing to do with the book itself.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I look at ratings on amazon, and I hae learned to check the negative ones thoroughly because of these reviews. 'Item arrived 6 mos after I ordered it' I don't care how long it took to get there, or what condition it arrived in, or if the price was too high. I want to know about the ITEM itself! Did it do what it was suppose to do? Did it hold together longer than a week?

This is a big issue at amazon, they comment about amazon or the individual seller, instead of using the feedback tools. But I see a lot of people call them out, since you can leave a comment on reviews at amazon.

I think this issue is prevalent in all reviews not just HS reviews and I'm totally feeling you. The best reviews are the honest ones that give you the goods and the ugly, all in one place.

:iagree: SOOOO frustrating!!

Oh, and I also hate a review that takes issue with the subject that the material is about, not about the specific text. I've seen this with someone hating on The Evolution of Calpernia Tate, because it was had anything to do with evolution. I've also seen it with a hateful review of a book about Noah's Ark (because the reviewer was appalled that someone would give a child a book on Noah's Ark).

Really, did those reviewers think that potential buyers missed the possible connections with evolution or a Biblical story? Good grief.

Really, I don't think that anyone would hate this if they used it properly. Maybe you should read "Knowing and Teaching This Curriculum" or get the 57 hour set of videos on how to teach the curriculum.

The only people I know who didn't like it have something seriously wrong with their kids.

(Couldn't resist.)

Really, I don't think that anyone would hate this if they used it properly. Maybe you should read "Knowing and Teaching This Curriculum" or get the 57 hour set of videos on how to teach the curriculum.

The only people I know who didn't like it have something seriously wrong with their kids.

(Couldn't resist.)

I'm positive you got paid to write this.

( ;) )

(Couldn't resist.)

Don't forget the "First Year Diary", that would be key to using this. If you haven't read that, then you really don't uderstand this. If you're still having trouble, I was invited to a week-long seminar in St. Croix for this. I think you guys would probably have to pay, but I am going for free because I signed up to serve drinks at the tiki bar for an hour each afternoon.

Don't forget the "First Year Diary", that would be key to using this. If you haven't read that, then you really don't uderstand this. If you're still having trouble, I was invited to a week-long seminar in St. Croix for this. I think you guys would probably have to pay, but I am going for free because I signed up to serve drinks at the tiki bar for an hour each afternoon.

Next thing I know you're going to be telling me that I had my kids placed wrong. Well, I used the placement test and didn't like the results, so I placed them at the level I knew was right.

It just stinks, St. Croix or no St. Croix.

Well, I , for one, I hated it, and my kids hated it even more.

:tongue_smilie:

There's no way you could hate this thread if you understand the time and effort the OP put into posting it. Hating it is just....wrong or mean, maybe both! It's a labor of love and the OP obviously put a lot of thought and work into it.

Everyone has to use the threads that work for them, I guess, but I think with a little willingness on your part everyone will love it!

Next thing I know you're going to be telling me that I had my kids placed wrong. Well, I used the placement test and didn't like the results, so I placed them at the level I knew was right.

It just stinks, St. Croix or no St. Croix.

You mean that you didn't take the placement test results, add the square root of their grade level (if they had started school on time in your first state of residence, not the others) and then add two levels because you're homeschooling. (Unless you are shifting from that other program, in which case you needed to go down the equivalent of half their shoe size. Because EVERYONE knows about that other program.)

I thought about the St. Croix conference, but then I read that they were serving drinks made with Cruzan Rum. I think that Bacardi is the original and best rum and wasn't sure if I should still go to a conference that offered Cruzan rum drinks and Bacardi rum drinks. AND then I read that they were going to even have Captain Morgan and Malibu. I knew I couldn't in conscience attend. Not at a conference that thinks its* ok to serve Flavored Rums.

*Oh dear, just the thought of flavored rum has me losing control of my grammar. I think I just heard a poor kitten mewing.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I just opened this thread, and I think it is exactly the thread that I've always needed. It will revolutionize my thread reading. I am even going to teach my kids to read using this thread! And I'm not a paid thread reviewer, really. They just gave me this thread for free.
*snort* Reminds me of quite a few blogs I've stopped reading after a continuous stream of such posts...

My pet peeve:

In the past I have shared my opinion on curriculum with people irl. Some of our favorites were discovered through people sharing so I wanted to pay it forward.

If I share about a curriculum it is always specific and with the disclaimer of 'it works for us, ymmv'. I no longer share because I have had several people come back to me to complain...:confused: I don't have time to field phone calls and emails about "the tests are too hard" "there aren't enough practice problems" "I don't like the way the book explains x, y or z" etc.

I love this thread!

I know I'm new around here, but after reading this thread, I'm selling everything I have (which will probably get lost in the mail and I'll have to refund the buyer) and only subscribing to this thread from now until eternity.

I have really learned a lot by hanging around here! Thank you!

You mean that you didn't take the placement test results, add the square root of their grade level (if they had started school on time in your first state of residence, not the others) and then add two levels because you're homeschooling. (Unless you are shifting from that other program, in which case you needed to go down the equivalent of half their shoe size. Because EVERYONE knows about that other program.)

I thought about the St. Croix conference, but then I read that they were serving drinks made with Cruzan Rum. I think that Bacardi is the original and best rum and wasn't sure if I should still go to a conference that offered Cruzan rum drinks and Bacardi rum drinks. AND then I read that they were going to even have Captain Morgan and Malibu. I knew I couldn't in conscience attend. Not at a conference that thinks its ok to serve Flavored Rums.

*sigh*. That was with the 42nd edition. With the 43rd edition you take the student's hat size, cube it, divide by 7.4, and finally subtract 1/3 for every grade level previously completed. Unless, of course, you are coming from that other program :glare:. Then you subtract 1 1/2 for every grade level completed.

I can't believe you know so much about rum. I didn't think people who were paid to advertise for this program could legally consume alcohol.

I can't believe nobody warned me about the CONTENT of this thread!!

I couldn't agree more. :iagree::iagree::iagree: The title of this thread should have been prefaced with CC (curriculum content, obviously). Good grief! Apparently common courtesy has fallen by the wayside.

I am seriously contemplating a board break after reading this thread.

*sigh*. That was with the 42nd edition. With the 43rd edition you take the student's hat size, cube it, divide by 7.4, and finally subtract 1/3 for every grade level previously completed. Unless, of course, you are coming from that other program :glare:. Then you subtract 1 1/2 for every grade level completed.

I can't believe you know so much about rum. I didn't think people who were paid to advertise for this program could legally consume alcohol.

I am not paid to advertise for this program*. I just really really like it.

*Not that there's anything wrong with getting paid to answer questions about the program. Or to answer questions about other programs with answers about this program. Or to mention the program in otherwise unrelated threads.