Menu

How does a class in 8th grade count toward grad. credits?

If it's a hs level class, you just put it on the transcript. If you divide by yr, just list it in 8th & continue from there. Some Univ. will only accept the 4 yr prior to enrollment, so make sure you still have adequate credits in each category (4 Eng, 4 math, etc.)

Even if you count it, most colleges won't consider any class taken in 8th grade as credit toward their requirements. Kids who take Alg 1 in 8th (or 7th as my oldest two did) just do more math classes in high school.

Oldest did Geometry, Pre-Calc, Personal Finance/SAT Prep and Calc.

Middle son did Alg 2, Pre-Calc, Stats, and will do Calc next year.

There are other options listed on some other threads discussing "early math."

Middle son also took a high school level World History course in 8th grade. I will note it on his transcript with an asterisk, but college adcoms have already told me it won't count for credit. He'll have three other History/Social Sciences for high school credit (World Geography, American History, Gov't/Economics). Adcoms are ok with this - esp since he plans to major in the sciences and has taken extra science courses in place of more history.

DD applied to 13 colleges and universities and when I contacted each one, they wanted transcripts that were either yearly or semester break downs and was admonished "ONLY work completed in the last four years of high school, period." So, dd's algebra 1 in 8th grade nor her first year of high school level Latin were not included.

Faith

Ds.1 has Greek I, Greek II, and Latin I that he took at Scholars Online in 7th and 8th grades. All these courses used college texts and I would like to give him credit for it. Is there a way to do this. He took Latin II in 9th and is taking Spanish I, II, and III from 10-12th grades. Ds.2 is taking Latin I and Latin II in 7th and 8th grades using Wheelock's and Spanish I-IV in 9-12th. Is there a way to show this on the transcript for credit? Thanks.

Ds.1 has Greek I, Greek II, and Latin I that he took at Scholars Online in 7th and 8th grades. All these courses used college texts and I would like to give him credit for it. Is there a way to do this. He took Latin II in 9th and is taking Spanish I, II, and III from 10-12th grades. Ds.2 is taking Latin I and Latin II in 7th and 8th grades using Wheelock's and Spanish I-IV in 9-12th. Is there a way to show this on the transcript for credit? Thanks.

Since he's continuing Latin and Spanish, adcoms will know he took the earlier courses. Greek you can put on with an asterisk mentioning he took those courses at a high school level in 7th and 8th grades. They won't count those courses for credit (even if you do), but it could make his application in general look more appealing in a similar manner that extra curriculars do.

I think this is one of those questions that is going to be school dependent. In TN, I know that it was no problem to carry 3 high school credits up from middle school. Here, it is common for the public schools to have kids carry up 3.

I have written transcripts for my 9th grader for admission to a program that he wants to participate in next school yr. He has multiple high school courses from prior to high school. I wrote his transcripts by subject going down with columns going across labeled <=8th, 9th, etc.

The subjects were grouped English, Math, Science, Foreign Language, History, Extras (where I included a math camp, Scouts, etc

Regardless of whether or not they give him credit, I will include those classes completed prior to 9th grade b/c they are an indication of his academic achievements at a young age. Yes, they can "infer" they were completed, but I would much prefer to make it obvious. :D