Menu

PR2 users...a couple questions please? I used PR1 this year and...

HappyGrace

Since by the time I get to PR2 we will have already read the Little House book as a read-aloud, I plan to use it just as a tool and say, "Remember that great book we read last summer? We get to use that for our writing lessons this year!" and I personally think it will be fun to get to review a book that we already like.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After thinking on it: I think that whether you continue with PR 2 completely depends on how well your child is sounding out words for reading and spelling. If they can sound them out you can get the rules elsewhere.

If you're not wanting to do PR2 but want the foundation, why not doing WRTR or SWR? Or did you try those already? I get confused about who has done what. :lol:

Or can you take the concepts learned in PR and just use your own word lists to analyze? I haven't used PR, but I know a lot of these programs do all the phonograms and rules and such up front, then you just get your lists of words. Is that how it works? I could be completely off base here. :tongue_smilie:

All of the rules aren't there yet. PR 2 has more. I think that they are covered in that workbook program though. I am definitely going with it... I will take a look and compare them to what PR 1 and PR 2 covers for Katrina.

I almost suggested that one too. Thanks for helping us out.

I will take a look at R&S again... I am thinking that if I decide it isn't enough, it might be possible to combine two or three workbooks to get enough work in. That is keeping it simple, right? :lol:

DD is in R&S 3 right now. She does Part A and C on one day and Part B another. I haven't seen much for rules yet but lots of work on listening for sounds. The other two days I give her dictation from Natural Speller. (I'm going to take another look at Simply Spelling though)

I haven't figured out my spelling "philosophy" yet.:tongue_smilie: I have ds in AAS but I don't think I'll continue it with him. I have eyed up PR for future children but can't decide. I'm still not sure what I think of R&S yet but dd is a natural speller so it's more of a 'git er done' type thing. I hope I like it because it would make my life easier going forward. The studied dictation sounds nice but...would it work with someone who wasn't a strong speller?

After thinking on it: I think that whether you continue with PR 2 completely depends on how well your child is sounding out words for reading and spelling. If they can sound them out you can get the rules elsewhere.All of the rules aren't there yet. PR 2 has more. I think that they are covered in that workbook program though. I am definitely going with it... I will take a look and compare them to what PR 1 and PR 2 covers for Katrina.

Carmen,

Which workbook are you referring to??

Building Spelling Skills and Simply Spelling (or Spelling Plus) seem like a winning combination to ME as long as I'm reviewing phonograms & referring to rules as needed. I have WRTR which has all of the rules listed....and I know many of the Rule Tunes :001_smile:.

I really don't want to use PR 2 and my son is an excellent reader. No worries there. I actually think he can spell most of the words in PR 2. WRTR has all of the word lists which I could also use on an as needed or desired basis.

I like the idea of keeping it simple with a good workbook for consistency and hitting dictation 1 or 2 times a week. If we're writing a lot in other ways then we have ample opportunity to apply spelling skills!!!! :001_smile:

Katrina,

I'm wondering what you want spelling to look like. Is your goal independent spelling? Do you just want it less time-consuming/expensive/no-dvd etc than PR2? Do you want a more dictation less drill approach? What is it about a workbook that appeals - the independence?

Heather

I dragged my HTTS out of a box in a garage and while I still don't like how the word lists are organized (by rule), I think the rules are easier to teach from there than SWR, and I am thrilled that the syllabication is in there. The dictation sentences take care of dictation for me too!

So I can teach any new rules from HTTS, and do word lists from SWR (Wise Guide).

Not as nice as having it all laid out like AAS, but I know the rule-based word lists and slow pace would drive me mad. And at least I won't have to watch any more PR dvds. So I'm hoping this combo will work well.

Note: If you don't mind the rules-based word lists, HTTS does look like it could be a happy medium between PR and AAS, while not being as complicated to get off the ground as SWR.

:001_smile: I think I have it figured out Heather. I obsessed over spelling at one time and I really don't know why. I went from PR which is highly structured and then began using ONLY studied dictation. It was traumatic :D. We spent a short amount of time trying to use AAS which didn't fly here. I'm trying to find a sensible middle ground that I can manage with 3 young students. I'm still letting go of that compulsion to use PR....the fear lingers that if I don't use it I'll be doing something terrible. Silly, eh?

I decided that using a workbook could be a sensible approach as long as the workbook is a good one....then my child could be working with words, sounds, phonograms, etc. in an independent way. Rod & Staff or Building Spelling Skills are my top choices. I'm not particularly fond of SWO or Soaring With Spelling. Dictation provides spelling practice as well. In addition to that we'll just be writing and I can troubleshoot spelling challenges as they arise. My confidence in doing that has risen drastically in the past 3 months. I'm getting through the learning curve with that and realizing that I CAN help my kids figure out spelling challenges. I have enough experience with phonograms and I have plenty of helps sitting on my shelf.

The workbook format helps me with consistency day to day and giving the kids some independent skill building work (my oldest is the only one who would use it at this point).

HappyGrace: Sounds like a great plan!

I need to check our homeschool consignment store and see if they have HTTS cheap. I do prefer word lists that follow a particular rule, as my son does well with learning a rule, applying that rule to multiple words to practice, then reviewing the words later (via the dictation). He's the same way with math. A spiral program drives him nuts. He does best with learning a topic, practicing that topic, then occasionally reviewing the topic. So I like the dictation sentences mixing it up for review, but I prefer the word lists to follow the same rule so he can practice and get good at applying that rule.

I need to check our homeschool consignment store and see if they have HTTS cheap. I do prefer word lists that follow a particular rule, as my son does well with learning a rule, applying that rule to multiple words to practice, then reviewing the words later (via the dictation). He's the same way with math. A spiral program drives him nuts. He does best with learning a topic, practicing that topic, then occasionally reviewing the topic. So I like the dictation sentences mixing it up for review, but I prefer the word lists to follow the same rule so he can practice and get good at applying that rule.

Boscopup-sounds like HTTS may be a good fit for you! The dictation is all there, planned out for you too.

I'm surprised so many PR1 moms are thinking of moving to something else! We're on week 32 of PR1. Over the summer I plan to use either SWR Wise Guide lists using PR markings or go through AAS starting with Level two and going through level three since we did AAS Level one last summer. Then in the fall, we'll move on to PR2.

What is it that everyone seems to dislike about the Little House Study? Is it just that it's drawn out for so long?

I don't love watching the DVDs but for PR1 it comes out to 10 - 15 max per day. It's really not that time consuming. I couldn't just fast forward through them because there are always tidbits that she throws out there that I wouldn't want to miss.

I'm surprised so many PR1 moms are thinking of moving to something else! We're on week 32 of PR1. Over the summer I plan to use either SWR Wise Guide lists using PR markings or go through AAS starting with Level two and going through level three since we did AAS Level one last summer. Then in the fall, we'll move on to PR2.

What is it that everyone seems to dislike about the Little House Study? Is it just that it's drawn out for so long?

I don't love watching the DVDs but for PR1 it comes out to 10 - 15 max per day. It's really not that time consuming. I couldn't just fast forward through them because there are always tidbits that she throws out there that I wouldn't want to miss.

Well I am moving on after using PR2. I didn't do the Little House Study. It was VERY drawn out and I didn't feel like it covered anything so earth shattering that it warranted that kind of time commitment. We enjoyed reading and talking about the book over a couple of weeks rather than the whole year.

Heather

:001_smile: I think I have it figured out Heather. I obsessed over spelling at one time and I really don't know why. I went from PR which is highly structured and then began using ONLY studied dictation. It was traumatic :D. We spent a short amount of time trying to use AAS which didn't fly here. I'm trying to find a sensible middle ground that I can manage with 3 young students. I'm still letting go of that compulsion to use PR....the fear lingers that if I don't use it I'll be doing something terrible. Silly, eh?

I decided that using a workbook could be a sensible approach as long as the workbook is a good one....then my child could be working with words, sounds, phonograms, etc. in an independent way. Rod & Staff or Building Spelling Skills are my top choices. I'm not particularly fond of SWO or Soaring With Spelling. Dictation provides spelling practice as well. In addition to that we'll just be writing and I can troubleshoot spelling challenges as they arise. My confidence in doing that has risen drastically in the past 3 months. I'm getting through the learning curve with that and realizing that I CAN help my kids figure out spelling challenges. I have enough experience with phonograms and I have plenty of helps sitting on my shelf.

The workbook format helps me with consistency day to day and giving the kids some independent skill building work (my oldest is the only one who would use it at this point).

Sounds like you are getting is settled. I don't really like SWO or SWS either. I'm currently not doing a spelling program. We finished PR2 and we are just doing narration and sometimes we do lists from Phonetic Zoo. We only have 3 more weeks of school this year anyway. (well my rising 3rd will do math over the summer but other than that we don't school in the summer).

I think if you are actively working on dictation and writing where you can be on the lookout for potential problems with spelling, then either R&S or Building Spelling Skills would be fine choices.

Now if I could only figure out what I'm doing. I've been getting HOD cold feet over the past few days and I feel back to the drawing board. ARGG.

Heather

Sounds like you are getting is settled. I don't really like SWO or SWS either. I'm currently not doing a spelling program. We finished PR2 and we are just doing narration and sometimes we do lists from Phonetic Zoo. We only have 3 more weeks of school this year anyway. (well my rising 3rd will do math over the summer but other than that we don't school in the summer).

I think if you are actively working on dictation and writing where you can be on the lookout for potential problems with spelling, then either R&S or Building Spelling Skills would be fine choices.

Now if I could only figure out what I'm doing. I've been getting HOD cold feet over the past few days and I feel back to the drawing board. ARGG.

Heather

:001_smile: Thanks Heather.

Yes, I agree about HOD. Beautiful, lovely, amazing...NOT fitting here AT ALL. Grrrrrrrrr. I am working on something "outside the box" ....we'll see!

I'm not really sure either. I skipped the Little House Study with my oldest, just because of age. My twins will be doing PR2 this next year, but we will certainly be accelerating the Lit with them as well. I don't see the benefit in dragging it out unless your child really needs to, and since mine all read already it isn't necessary.

LOL-I hear you on the HOD! I almost did the Creation to Christ one last yr and chickened out because I knew I am too much of a tweaker! We did Little Hands to Heaven YEARS ago and it almost drove me mad, with all those boxes to keep straight.

But every year, I think about it again-this yr was considering RtoR and had to remind myself about the dumb boxes! :tongue_smilie:

It is such a great curric and uses all the books I want to use anyway. But I know it wouldn't fit our style.

Well, I don't have much to say except that this post has brought some new ideas to me. We will be doing PR 1 for the first time. My oldest will be third grade. We did Saxon and Shirley in second. She retained almost nothing. Thanks for the info.

Well, I like the Little House study. :) Dd seems to like it, too. She is accelerating through it and is learning good skills.

PR is the fifth or sixth language arts program we have tried and I am finally cured of curriculum-hopping. I dislike having to watch the DVDs, but I do it because it's worth my time. :) My oldest is in level 3, so I've had to watch a lot of DVDs this year. :tongue_smilie:

P.S. I am not a PR affiliate. ;)

Well, I like the Little House study. :) Dd seems to like it, too. She is accelerating through it and is learning good skills.

PR is the fifth or sixth language arts program we have tried and I am finally cured of curriculum-hopping. I dislike having to watch the DVDs, but I do it because it's worth my time. :) My oldest is in level 3, so I've had to watch a lot of DVDs this year. :tongue_smilie:

P.S. I am not a PR affiliate. ;)

Yeah...I just got back from convention and managed *not* to buy a new "Teach your child to read program" even though IEW PAL looks really good.

I like PR. My kids don't mind the Little House study, but we are finishing a whole weeks worth of work in one day, so we aren't drawing it out either.

My DS is doing well learning to read with PR 1, although some days I wish it were more "fun" (for me ;)) but I can't deny that he is doing well, learning to read and I *know* he will not have the same spelling troubles that my older two have had! Thank goodness!

I am considering bumping my DD into PR 3, but I don't want to have to try to keep up with 3 levels this year, so we'll just keep moving along in PR 2.

I picked up all levels of WWE, FLL, IEW PAL, AAS, and a plethora of others at convention and each time I put them back down again and am thankful that I only have to keep track of *1* teacher manual and *1* student book to teach handwriting, spelling, grammar, dictation etc.

***I did sign up to be an affiliate, but as far as I know no one ever clicks on the link, so I'm not making any $$$! LOL

I can see why others don't think it's a good fit for their families, but I am thankful we found it in our family!!

Emily has always read fluently and well above grade level, but her refusal to sound out words when and if she comes to one she doesn't know is why I felt the need to do PR with her.

Carmen,

Which workbook are you referring to??

Building Spelling Skills

That one! It looks really perfect for us. :) I have to run, but wanted to answer that. Edited by Lovedtodeath

I also wanted to say this before I forget: In Phonics Road 2 I was getting frustrated at the large amount of words that have no explanation for the different spelling. Some words Emily had trouble with were mountain and coffee for example. There is no explanation or rule for the ai or the ee. You just have to tell the kid that is how it is spelled and move on.

I am wondering if there is an explanation of ci, si and ti. We haven't gotten to that yet. HTTS has an explanation for those, so I am curious if PR has it.

I dragged my HTTS out of a box in a garage and while I still don't like how the word lists are organized (by rule), I think the rules are easier to teach from there than SWR, and I am thrilled that the syllabication is in there. The dictation sentences take care of dictation for me too!

So I can teach any new rules from HTTS, and do word lists from SWR (Wise Guide).

Not as nice as having it all laid out like AAS, but I know the rule-based word lists and slow pace would drive me mad. And at least I won't have to watch any more PR dvds. So I'm hoping this combo will work well.

Note: If you don't mind the rules-based word lists, HTTS does look like it could be a happy medium between PR and AAS, while not being as complicated to get off the ground as SWR.

Yay! I just want to tell you that the workbooks really help a lot. They have the rule listed in an easier manner (the TM has them longer and stated in a more complicated way). They also help you to decide what to teach next, as the TM is not set up that way. I also think it works well to work on the new rule with a workbook page (like a building code in PR). Then if you want to mix up your word lists with dictation that is fine.

I really didn't mind the DVDs at first either. If I find the time to watch them while folding laundry our what not it really sinks in and makes me a better teacher the next day. My main problem is that we have only one DVD player in this house and other family members hog it.:glare: Anyway... at this point I am teaching most of the lessons without the DVD and I have always been able to skip them for a few weeks and continue teaching based on just the Teacher's guide. I usually haven't missed anything and when I do it is just a little matter of going back and filling out a building code. No big deal really.

My problem with PR is that I really need DD to work on something independently, spelling and grammar are possible for her to do independently, do well, and not be too disappointed (we really like to do history and read alouds together). I also save $150 by buying these other LA programs. I need to stop skimping on our math (which we need to change because DD has an LD) and science (which DD has always excelled at and enjoyed and I need to nurture that) budget in order to pay for PR. I don't need to do that. Really.

Oh and we are also switching after PR 2.

I can see why others don't think it's a good fit for their families, but I am thankful we found it in our family!!

I still plan to use PR 1 and 2 with DS, and to teach him to read with them! I think that a lot of my burnout issues with PR at this point have to do with starting too late and trying to accelerate. (Oh, and trying to save the student manual for DS. Using separate notebook paper does make it less organized.)

I may even decide to go back to PR in 5th grade, or do the Bridge in 7th... I am still considering Latin Road as well.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Yeah...I just got back from convention and managed *not* to buy a new "Teach your child to read program" even though IEW PAL looks really good.

I like PR. My kids don't mind the Little House study, but we are finishing a whole weeks worth of work in one day, so we aren't drawing it out either.

My DS is doing well learning to read with PR 1, although some days I wish it were more "fun" (for me ;)) but I can't deny that he is doing well, learning to read and I *know* he will not have the same spelling troubles that my older two have had! Thank goodness!

I am considering bumping my DD into PR 3, but I don't want to have to try to keep up with 3 levels this year, so we'll just keep moving along in PR 2.

I picked up all levels of WWE, FLL, IEW PAL, AAS, and a plethora of others at convention and each time I put them back down again and am thankful that I only have to keep track of *1* teacher manual and *1* student book to teach handwriting, spelling, grammar, dictation etc.

***I did sign up to be an affiliate, but as far as I know no one ever clicks on the link, so I'm not making any $$$! LOL

The all-in-one aspect is why PR gets done every day. :) We used WWE, AAS, and FLL and they are very good programs. But they didn't all get done consistently and it took 3 times longer than PR to get through the lessons.

The all-in-one aspect is why PR gets done every day. :) We used WWE, AAS, and FLL ... it took 3 times longer than PR to get through the lessons.
:iagree:I think that AIO is emphasized too much though. It is efficient, but you can still work on spelling, grammar and writing as completely separate subjects at separate levels if you want to. :)

:iagree:I think that AIO is emphasized too much though. It is efficient, but you can still work on spelling, grammar and writing as completely separate subjects at separate levels if you want to. :)

PR makes IEW look cheap! Anyway, I've never heard of PR until just now, and I really don't think I can spend the money just to try this curriculum despite the rave reviews.

So....is the combination of WWE, FLL (or some vintage text), and AAS equivalent to all the levels of PR? Or some other combination perhaps? Maybe this question should be a new thread? :D

I hate to miss out on PR just because it's pricey.

PR makes IEW look cheap! Anyway, I've never heard of PR until just now, and I really don't think I can spend the money just to try this curriculum despite the rave reviews.

So....is the combination of WWE, FLL (or some vintage text), and AAS equivalent to all the levels of PR? Or some other combination perhaps? Maybe this question should be a new thread? :D

I hate to miss out on PR just because it's pricey.

If you use WWE FLL and AAS you will be paying just as much. ;) Level one of PR covers most of AAS 1-3. There are only 4 levels of PR.

If you use WWE FLL and AAS you will be paying just as much. ;) Level one of PR covers most of AAS 1-3. There are only 4 levels of PR.[/quote

Thank you for this. Doesn't it seem safer to use separate curricula rather than just PR since the parent may be less willing to replace parts of it if it's not compatible with the child?

Too bad conventions never happen around our area; otherwise, it would be great to look at PR and IEW in person. Or maybe that's a good thing for me.

If you use WWE FLL and AAS you will be paying just as much. ;) Level one of PR covers most of AAS 1-3. There are only 4 levels of PR.

All prices at Amazon unless otherwise noted:

FLL1 - $9.30

FLL2 - $10.17

FLL3 - $19.77 + $12.89

FLL4 - $23.50 (RR) + $13.57

---- $89.20 for all of FLL

WWE1 - $23.07

WWE2 - $22.84

WWE3 - $23.07

WWE4 - $24.39

---- $93.37 for all of WWE (could be done cheaper if you get the instructor text and pick passages yourself)

Retail price of AAS (though I got about 10% off at Adoremus when they had a 20% off sale, when I counted shipping):

Tiles/magnets - $11.95 + $5.95

Level 1 - $29.95

Level 2 - $39.95

Level 3 - $39.95

Level 4 - $39.95

Level 5 - $39.95

Level 6 - $39.95

Level 7 (when it comes out) - $39.95

---- $287.55 for all of AAS (which you may or may not complete in 4 years)

Total for all of those: $470.12

Total for all 4 years of PR (1-3 are $215, 4 is $239) - $884

PR is almost TWICE that of FLL/WWE/AAS. So no, she wouldn't be paying just as much. :D

If you use WWE FLL and AAS you will be paying just as much. ;) Level one of PR covers most of AAS 1-3. There are only 4 levels of PR.[/quote

Thank you for this. Doesn't it seem safer to use separate curricula rather than just PR since the parent may be less willing to replace parts of it if it's not compatible with the child?

Too bad conventions never happen around our area; otherwise' date=' it would be great to look at PR and IEW in person. Or maybe that's a good thing for me.[/quote]

This was one of the main reasons I decided against PR. When you pay the kind of money for PR you would be more inclined to want to use it all instead of having to pay even more to replace the parts you are not particularly fond of or are not working. I already had certain programs that I had decided to use with my son, Classical Writing being one of them, and the added cost plus having to now tweak the program in order to fit in other programs would have been too much. While I had not gone as far as looking at the scope and sequence too closely, I am now realizing that even with PR there seem to be certain components we would have had to add in during certain years. I was still considering LR but had not looked at it closely since it was something I would have added in the future, until my friend pointed out to me that by using Shurley there would be too much repetition between the upper levels of Shurley and LR. I decided to go with Latin for Children instead.

I find it all depends on what works for your child and you as a parent (teaching style). If you like the security of knowing that you have everything covered through one program then PR can be a great solution. If like me, you want to use various resources for different areas, then PR + other programs may be more work than you want to take on. When I was considering PR, both my best friend and I were considering it. She decided to go with it, I decided not to. We just figured out what would work or wouldn't work in our home and based our decisions on that :).

Edited by Guest

FLL1 - $9.30

FLL2 - $10.17

FLL3 - $19.77 + $12.89

WWE1 - $23.07

WWE2 - $22.84

WWE3 - $23.07

WWE4 - $24.39

---- $93.37 for all of WWE (could be done cheaper if you get the instructor text and pick passages yourself)

Retail price of AAS (though I got about 10% off at Adoremus when they had a 20% off sale, when I counted shipping):

Level 1 - $29.95

Level 2 - $39.95

Level 3 - $39.95

Level 4 - $39.95

Level 5 - $39.95

Level 6 - $39.95

PR is almost TWICE that of FLL/WWE/AAS. So no, she wouldn't be paying just as much. :D

:lol: looks like I have a double on these forums. I am always calculating and recalculating costs for everything too ;).

FLL1 - $9.30

FLL2 - $10.17

FLL3 - $19.77 + $12.89

WWE1 - $23.07

WWE2 - $22.84

WWE3 - $23.07

WWE4 - $24.39

Level 1 - $29.95

Level 2 - $39.95

Level 3 - $39.95

Level 4 - $39.95

Level 5 - $39.95

Level 6 - $39.95

Thanks for the comparison. That is interesting and helpful. I wonder if AAS covers as much on derivatives as PR.

I can't help but wonder where I got that idea. I think I based my perception of the cost comparing PR 1 to AAS levels 1,2 and 3 with WWE 1, not all of the levels, and I was still wrong if one is buying PR 1 new... and here is a comparison for myself since I used PR 1&2:

FLL1 - $9.30

FLL2 - $10.17

FLL3 - $19.77 + $12.89

WWE1 - $23.07

WWE2 - $22.84

$11.95 + $5.95

Level 1 - $29.95

Level 2 - $39.95

Level 3 - $39.95

Level 4 - $39.95

Level 5 - $39.95

PR Levels one and two- $430

Too bad conventions never happen around our area; otherwise, it would be great to look at PR and IEW in person. Or maybe that's a good thing for me.

You wouldn't be able to get much of a sense of PR seeing it at a convention either unfortunately. The meat of it is on the DVDs with no teacher's manual, etc. When I first got it, it just looked like binders with blank pages, some spelling lists and photo copied story pages for illustrating.

You wouldn't be able to get much of a sense of PR seeing it at a convention either unfortunately. The meat of it is on the DVDs with no teacher's manual, etc. When I first got it, it just looked like binders with blank pages, some spelling lists and photo copied story pages for illustrating.
I disagree that there is NO teacher's manual. I always teach from my "Foreman's Construction Manual". Whether you need to watch the DVDs really depends on your experience with OG phonics methods. I would say I don't watch more than I watch. I agree that samples really don't help much. I think that it really has to be put in to practice in order to see how it works.

I think that PR has been less effective than it could have been because we started it too late and felt like we had to accelerate through it. I think that keeping it on schedule will work much better for us.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I think that the expense of Phonics Road needs to be kept in perspective. Many people using MCT, IEW, DVD or online classes, Cozy Grammar, remedial OG programs and/or dynamic literacy are spending the same amount or more on LA.

Sharing my personal reasons for switching from PR doesn't mean that I think everyone else should. In fact, I will probably follow the PR sequence with DS.

What is it that everyone seems to dislike about the Little House Study? Is it just that it's drawn out for so long? It is terribly drawn out, but that's also why we finished it as one whole and dropped spelling and grammar while we did. It worked and we were all happy.

Unfortunately, they're jumping ship before the beauty of independence kicks in (no offense intended). PR is right on schedule: mucho independence starting in 4th grade....the intended place of PR3.

I'm not really sure either. I skipped the Little House Study with my oldest, just because of age. My twins will be doing PR2 this next year, but we will certainly be accelerating the Lit with them as well. I don't see the benefit in dragging it out unless your child really needs to, and since mine all read already it isn't necessary.
The lit. study applies words from the spelling list to some degree, so part of the purpose is b/c PR wants the children to spell to write, so in order to use a word in a sentence (for a beginning reader, not an accelerator who can already read), they must first spell it, then can apply the word in written communication. The lit. study applies the skills of written communication and incorporates the spelling and grammar as taught in the other components of the program.

I am wondering if there is an explanation of ci, si and ti. We haven't gotten to that yet. HTTS has an explanation for those, so I am curious if PR has it.

Yes, PR does cover these, via spelling rules and pronunciation.

I think that the expense of Phonics Road needs to be kept in perspective. Many people using MCT, IEW, DVD or online classes, Cozy Grammar, remedial OG programs and/or dynamic literacy are spending the same amount or more on LA.

Sharing my personal reasons for switching from PR doesn't mean that I think everyone else should. In fact, I will probably follow the PR sequence with DS.

You also have to add in for those who spend on Latin and vocabulary in elementary grades. PR takes care of this, too. I don't have a separate vocab or latin wb for dd, PR does it for her.

I'm sad to see ya'll leaving the PR family, but I understand that what works for me, doesn't work for everyone. I hope it all works out for the best in your schools.....and YES :) I'm still proudly and happily representing a product I believe in! I'm glad to be a PR affiliate :) (Even if some are turned off by that)!

Unfortunately, they're jumping ship before the beauty of independence kicks in (no offense intended). PR is right on schedule: mucho independence starting in 4th grade....the intended place of PR3.

Tina,

Can you tell me how PR3 becomes more independent. I will be starting it with my 11yo soon and could benefit from this. Also, is it possible to accelerate this level? He will be 12 and going into 6th in the fall.

Tina,

Can you tell me how PR3 becomes more independent. I will be starting it with my 11yo soon and could benefit from this. Also, is it possible to accelerate this level? He will be 12 and going into 6th in the fall.

Using my dd11, 5th grader as an example, accelerating the spelling is pretty simple, but is teacher time consuming. By the end of PR 3, you've got around 1200 words. At some point, your dc goes back and labels parts of speech for each word. DD does that entirely independently. We completed the first page together, she understood how to do it, so from there on out, she flew solo.

Since PR3 covers what was learned in PR2 (basic grammar), you simply review the definition, sing a song, practice a couple together, then they're off!The first few Building Codes are easy to use as copywork for a child who has mastered the basics (power tools, rule tunes). Unless your child needs you for the review, you can easily offer this as straight copy work. I'd say BC5-7 take about 10min of my time; about 15 for the rest. For BC I usually dictate the first columns and then free her up to finish the rest.

For example, if a BC looks like this:

~all, full, and till....{finish the song and write it in the BC}

"Now, let's apply our song to some words"

all + most = almost

care + full = careful

"Do you see the pattern and how our song explains the rule?"

I would dictate: all + most; care + full; etc for the 17 words and then have her go back and complete the page. 10min, maybe 15 min with me, then she's free.

For dd, we'll parse a couple sentences together, then she goes back and finishes the rest.

For the word study, we build the words together and decide on the literal translation, then dd goes back and defines all of the words on her own, using her dictionary. I did 4 lessons with her completely, by then, she was more than comfortable. For this, which is now "spelling" it takes about 10min. with me and 20 or less on her own.

We do spend more like 30 min. together for the lit. study b/c there is So Much Writing work that really comes out of it. *I* can't leave my kids alone too much for writing. I did that once and the results were not pretty. There are some things I prefer to spend one on one time to teach and writing is surely one of those things.

That said, there are a handful of assignments in the lit. section that she is free to complete and plenty of just reading days. With that in mind, you can accelerate to some point by reading aloud in chunks, but if you need the writing foundation, I wouldn't rush through that and I find the exercises to be a full days work. You'll find examples of them on my blog. My biggest soap box is APPLICATION. The AIO approach offers that in a way I never got from other programs.

I tried "more independence" for my older lot, using Rod & Staff without the oral review and we had little or no retention. I thought 4th grade meant "SEE YA!" but it didn't and I regretted it later when I had to remediate too many times. I also learned that middle school independence can be very over-rated, or at least, I misunderstood it. My 2 boys (now 8th and 9th grades) still require meetings and a lot of follow up from me. If I'm not on them, their work won't get done and we end up in a mode of general agitation with one another. My daughter on the other hand, meets with me rarely, gets all of her work finished, and comes to me whenever she needs to (not often).

If you consider PR1&2 are designed for 1st and 2nd graders, do you expect a Ton of Independence from those ages? So, yes, those levels require your presence, and in my philosophy of education, they should, but by the end of PR2, I was able to let my 2nd grader (w/ ADD) and my 3rd grader (uber-wiggly) finish up assignments on their own (guiding them into independence). IMHO and experience, there are some things for which play and independence do wonders, but there are other times independence is taken too far, for the sake of independence, and it's not so good. Now, consider PR3 is designed for 4th graders, then you'll see that there is teacher time and then student time. I honestly spend No.More.Time. than I ever did once I started the Oral Reviews of Rod & Staff.

If you drop PR3, you're missing an amazingly effective word study. I am SO pleased with it! Make sure you pick up in the "vocabulary" area after dropping PR!

The outcome of independence is beautiful, but the process takes quite a while. Be patient mommas! I know you're tired. I know you need more time....I SO KNOW! Remember, I'm juggling 8 and getting it done. I *Know* what it means to need and want more independence from your kiddos!

Whatever path you choose, I hope it works for you, and I hope you find all the mastery and independence you long for. I know you're all doing your best. Keep up the good work!

I'm sad to see ya'll leaving the PR family, but I understand that what works for me, doesn't work for everyone. I hope it all works out for the best in your schools.....and YES :) I'm still proudly and happily representing a product I believe in! I'm glad to be a PR affiliate :) (Even if some are turned off by that)!
I am not leaving, just taking a break. I will probably be back with DD and I will definitely be back with DS. I still highly recommend PR 1 and 2, used as is on schedule.

Using my dd11, 5th grader as an example, accelerating the spelling is pretty simple, but is teacher time consuming. By the end of PR 3, you've got around 1200 words. At some point, your dc goes back and labels parts of speech for each word. DD does that entirely independently. We completed the first page together, she understood how to do it, so from there on out, she flew solo.

Since PR3 covers what was learned in PR2 (basic grammar), you simply review the definition, sing a song, practice a couple together, then they're off!The first few Building Codes are easy to use as copywork for a child who has mastered the basics (power tools, rule tunes). Unless your child needs you for the review, you can easily offer this as straight copy work. I'd say BC5-7 take about 10min of my time; about 15 for the rest. For BC I usually dictate the first columns and then free her up to finish the rest.

all + most = almost

care + full = careful

I would dictate: all + most; care + full; etc for the 17 words and then have her go back and complete the page. 10min, maybe 15 min with me, then she's free.

For dd, we'll parse a couple sentences together, then she goes back and finishes the rest.

For the word study, we build the words together and decide on the literal translation, then dd goes back and defines all of the words on her own, using her dictionary. I did 4 lessons with her completely, by then, she was more than comfortable. For this, which is now "spelling" it takes about 10min. with me and 20 or less on her own.

We do spend more like 30 min. together for the lit. study b/c there is So Much Writing work that really comes out of it. *I* can't leave my kids alone too much for writing. I did that once and the results were not pretty. There are some things I prefer to spend one on one time to teach and writing is surely one of those things.

That said, there are a handful of assignments in the lit. section that she is free to complete and plenty of just reading days. With that in mind, you can accelerate to some point by reading aloud in chunks, but if you need the writing foundation, I wouldn't rush through that and I find the exercises to be a full days work. You'll find examples of them on my blog. My biggest soap box is APPLICATION. The AIO approach offers that in a way I never got from other programs.

If you drop PR3, you're missing an amazingly effective word study. I am SO pleased with it! Make sure you pick up in the "vocabulary" area after dropping PR!

How does the Bridge differ from this?

If you consider PR1&2 are designed for 1st and 2nd graders, do you expect a Ton of Independence from those ages? So, yes, those levels require your presence, and in my philosophy of education, they should, but by the end of PR2, I was able to let my 2nd grader (w/ ADD) and my 3rd grader (uber-wiggly) finish up assignments on their own (guiding them into independence). IMHO and experience, there are some things for which play and independence do wonders, but there are other times independence is taken too far, for the sake of independence, and it's not so good. Now, consider PR3 is designed for 4th graders, then you'll see that there is teacher time and then student time. I honestly spend No.More.Time. than I ever did once I started the Oral Reviews of Rod & Staff.

The outcome of independence is beautiful, but the process takes quite a while. Be patient mommas! I know you're tired. I know you need more time....I SO KNOW! Remember, I'm juggling 8 and getting it done. I *Know* what it means to need and want more independence from your kiddos!

Whatever path you choose, I hope it works for you, and I hope you find all the mastery and independence you long for. I know you're all doing your best. Keep up the good work!

Oh I know I was spending more time on LA before starting PR! Edited by Lovedtodeath

Another thing to think about cost that I think is sometimes overlooked - what is my *time* worth?!

If I'm juggling several levels of TM's and Student workbooks x 3 children and all of these need to be done one-on-one, that is a lot of time and materials! In my family, I'm also keeping up with a precocious 4 year old and a roving toddler! My time is precious, as well as my $$, so PR is a perfect investment.

PR 1 covers the first three levels of AAS - so in *1* year you get to the same place that it would take 3 years of AAS.

As far as the AIO approach not being flexible - I've found it easy enough for me to adjust things according to what my goals are for my kiddo's as well as their abilities. I like that the DVD teaches me how to teach, then I can incorporate that into my own style and method and create something that works for our family. For example, my boys want to learn cursive...it's not taught until the end of PR 2, but I'm going to go ahead and teach it now. I have a cursive copybook that we'll use for re-enforcement until it becomes natural enough for them to finish their PR notebooks in cursive. I'm setting the pace...PR is just giving me the outline. It is not one-dimensional at all, IMO. The only thing I haven't seemed to master that would benefit my older 2 children is the ability to stay on top of our schedule well enough to move at a faster pace for them!! ;)

Another point to consider - and I'm probably not going to explain this very well, but hopefully, everyone will know what I'm getting at - is juggling many different programs that aren't as expensive can lead to "well...this isn't working, maybe I should look at something else" syndrome. If it only cost $10, it's something easy to dump it and move on, thinking the investment isn't worth making it work, especially if it's heavily scripted and formatted. If you spend more $$, the drive to get creative and figure out a way that will make it work might be enough incentive to keep plugging away at it and prevent getting gaps in later years from all the curriculum jumping!

all + most = almost

care + full = careful

I tried "more independence" for my older lot, using Rod & Staff without the oral review and we had little or no retention. I thought 4th grade meant "SEE YA!" but it didn't and I regretted it later when I had to remediate too many times. I also learned that middle school independence can be very over-rated, or at least, I misunderstood it. My 2 boys (now 8th and 9th grades) still require meetings and a lot of follow up from me. If I'm not on them, their work won't get done and we end up in a mode of general agitation with one another. My daughter on the other hand, meets with me rarely, gets all of her work finished, and comes to me whenever she needs to (not often).

Great Tina! Thanks!

I have level 3 sitting on the shelf. We are done with the Little House study and working on some writing skills and BREATHING!

I am glad to hear that I can get ds working through PR3 a little more independently. I agree that writing will need me sitting right here. He forgets to use a period if I am not here. I don't always have to remind him to do all of the details, but if I turn him loose, it all slips out of his mind.

We will finish the spelling list and framing codes in a few weeks. We are going to school through the summer and I am tempted to jump right into level 3. We have done levels 1 and 2 since October though, so I may give him a break.....at least for a few weeks. We could then start slowly since we will be following a relaxed schedule through the summer.

I am glad to hear that PR3 is for fourth grade. I missed that somewhere. It makes me feel slightly better about my 6th grader using it. But, it REALLY makes me feel better about not accelerating my 2nd grader in PR1. For the sake of time, I combined my 1st and 2nd graders for PR1. So, my ds will be using PR3 in fourth while dd will be in 3rd.

And, I agree about the time requirements of PR. I was spending more time correcting CLE LA with my oldest for 4th grade. He needs to be TAUGHT skill subjects. He can read anything and narrate it all back, but for skills he got very frustrated with independent work and would say to me, "Mom, I want you to TEACH this to me, not hand me a book." TT was our solution for math and works great for him. LA, well, I haven't seen any program that would give him the visual and auditory aspects of a teacher that he needs. I HAVE to teach it to him. His retention has really soared with PR. Yes, I wish he was more independent, but he isn't and these skills are important. For 5th, we started with R&S English, DITHOR, Write with the Best, and AAS. I was spending WAY more time with that combo. Our extremely accelerated PR1 pace felt light compared to that combo. We had to slow our pace some when we started PR2, but it was still less frustrating for us both and quicker than our previous load.

How does the Bridge differ from this?

Oh I know I was spending more time on LA before starting PR!

Carmen,

I loaned out my Bridge, so I can't look at the materials. It's been 4 years since I used it, so I don't remember exactly. What I do remember is you'll get grammar and word study.

What you won't get is the wonderful application of writing skills. I know you didn't like the PR2 writing, but it sure does pick up in PR3. I find the application across the board to be the best part of PR, coming from experience and seeing when application was lacking --- it wasn't pretty. I'm a pretty good writer, but not as good a writing teacher (I am now, but wasn't then). I think the way PR3 uses the lit. study for full-on grammar instruction is beautiful. It's the way I always wanted to teach, but didn't have the skill set. Then, it takes those skills and applies them in writing. *I* find this priceless.

The Bridge will make sure one is ready for LR, but I sure love the process and application in PR3&4. But, that's me :) YMMV.

Another thing to think about cost that I think is sometimes overlooked - what is my *time* worth?!

If I'm juggling several levels of TM's and Student workbooks x 3 children and all of these need to be done one-on-one, that is a lot of time and materials! In my family, I'm also keeping up with a precocious 4 year old and a roving toddler! My time is precious, as well as my $$, so PR is a perfect investment.

PR 1 covers the first three levels of AAS - so in *1* year you get to the same place that it would take 3 years of AAS.

As far as the AIO approach not being flexible - I've found it easy enough for me to adjust things according to what my goals are for my kiddo's as well as their abilities. I like that the DVD teaches me how to teach, then I can incorporate that into my own style and method and create something that works for our family. For example, my boys want to learn cursive...it's not taught until the end of PR 2, but I'm going to go ahead and teach it now. I have a cursive copybook that we'll use for re-enforcement until it becomes natural enough for them to finish their PR notebooks in cursive. I'm setting the pace...PR is just giving me the outline. It is not one-dimensional at all, IMO. The only thing I haven't seemed to master that would benefit my older 2 children is the ability to stay on top of our schedule well enough to move at a faster pace for them!! ;)

Another point to consider - and I'm probably not going to explain this very well, but hopefully, everyone will know what I'm getting at - is juggling many different programs that aren't as expensive can lead to "well...this isn't working, maybe I should look at something else" syndrome. If it only cost $10, it's something easy to dump it and move on, thinking the investment isn't worth making it work, especially if it's heavily scripted and formatted. If you spend more $$, the drive to get creative and figure out a way that will make it work might be enough incentive to keep plugging away at it and prevent getting gaps in later years from all the curriculum jumping!

:iagree: I have found, on the days when I don't feel like doing anything, the inherent value of PR pushes me forward. Perhaps b/c I missed the boat with The Elders, I realize even more the deep value of this program. Gaps will do that to a teacher! Since I do the DVD-a-thons, I don't even deal with the DVDs on a regular basis, so they are no problem for me. The only DVDs I've watched this year were to pre-plan for level 4.

ps...PR is SO MUCH MORE than spelling! You really can't compare a "just spelling program" to PR. The application at work here is amazing. I am sure an experienced and confident teacher (like I've become, but wasn't always) could apply each skill no matter what they use, but for me, PR taught me how to do it and encourages me to continue to do so.

Tina, you answer people's questions about PR. Specific questions that can help determine whether PR is for our families or not. I definitely don't see that as a turn off when most often you see reviews like "it works for my family, try it". I applaud you for what you do and besides, the affiliate link is not mandatory. People choose to use it when they do :). You are not twisting anyone's arm. Keep up the good work :)!

Most people don't do AAS levels at 1 per year. We did levels 1 and 2 in a total of 3 months. Level 3 will take longer, but we'll *easily* get 3 levels, maybe even 4 done within a single year. And I'm not accelerating an older child. This was a first grader who hadn't had a lot of phonics instruction previously. I can't imagine taking a whole year to do level 1, unless you're doing it with a 4 year old.

As far as time goes... I'm only schooling one right now, but I honestly don't see how the AIO aspect really helps that much, when they are still separate subjects? I've heard people talk about going faster in spelling than in writing or literature study, etc. So at that point, aren't you pretty much doing the same thing as separated programs? :confused:

I use FLL/WWE/AAS, and it takes very little time. We spend about 10 minutes on FLL2, 10 minutes on WWE, and 15 minutes on AAS. So we're done in 35 minutes with most of our language arts. For "reading", he reads a chapter out of a good book - about 10 minutes. Free reading is longer, but wouldn't be part of PR anyway. So 45 minutes for LA. That's not that bad. I find that they go very well together (FLL/WWE go VERY well together - WWE often reinforces what was learned in FLL, although I'm in different levels, so we're not quite getting that "AIO" effect, but also wouldn't in PR either as we'd still be in different places between grammar and writing, right?).

And those times above? Very generous. Some FLL and WWE lessons only take 5 minutes. Very quick and easy.

I also don't have time to sit down and watch a DVD. That's just not something I really want to spend my time doing. FLL, WWE, and AAS are all open and go. I can sit down, open the book, and begin teaching. I don't have to do any preparation beforehand.

And the biggest thing? They're all working for my son. So why would I switch to something more expensive when I've found what works already? Yes, the $10 programs can cause you to jump ship more often, but when you find a $10 program that you LIKE, you stick with it because it works. :D

Of course, PR works for many people, and it IS a good program. It isn't for everyone, however. The time commitment will also depend on the individual family as well. I know a PP mentioned that she had trouble getting FLL/WWE/AAS done, but PR got done. It sounds like PR is a better choice for her then! For me, FLL/WWE/AAS get done very easily, and I think PR would be more difficult to get done because I'd need to watch a DVD in order to teach, and my "free time" is precious. If I'm going to be watching TV, I'd rather it be one of the shows I recorded and haven't gotten to watch yet from 5 days ago. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, I mainly wanted to correct the quote above. AAS levels are NOT grade levels. They're skill levels. You go through the program at whatever pace your child needs. So that really isn't a good comparison. :)

Most people don't do AAS levels at 1 per year. We did levels 1 and 2 in a total of 3 months. Level 3 will take longer, but we'll *easily* get 3 levels, maybe even 4 done within a single year. And I'm not accelerating an older child. This was a first grader who hadn't had a lot of phonics instruction previously. I can't imagine taking a whole year to do level 1, unless you're doing it with a 4 year old.

As far as time goes... I'm only schooling one right now, but I honestly don't see how the AIO aspect really helps that much, when they are still separate subjects? I've heard people talk about going faster in spelling than in writing or literature study, etc. So at that point, aren't you pretty much doing the same thing as separated programs? :confused:

I use FLL/WWE/AAS, and it takes very little time. We spend about 10 minutes on FLL2, 10 minutes on WWE, and 15 minutes on AAS. So we're done in 35 minutes with most of our language arts. For "reading", he reads a chapter out of a good book - about 10 minutes. Free reading is longer, but wouldn't be part of PR anyway. So 45 minutes for LA. That's not that bad. I find that they go very well together (FLL/WWE go VERY well together - WWE often reinforces what was learned in FLL, although I'm in different levels, so we're not quite getting that "AIO" effect, but also wouldn't in PR either as we'd still be in different places between grammar and writing, right?).

And those times above? Very generous. Some FLL and WWE lessons only take 5 minutes. Very quick and easy.

I also don't have time to sit down and watch a DVD. That's just not something I really want to spend my time doing. FLL, WWE, and AAS are all open and go. I can sit down, open the book, and begin teaching. I don't have to do any preparation beforehand.

And the biggest thing? They're all working for my son. So why would I switch to something more expensive when I've found what works already? Yes, the $10 programs can cause you to jump ship more often, but when you find a $10 program that you LIKE, you stick with it because it works. :D

Of course, PR works for many people, and it IS a good program. It isn't for everyone, however. The time commitment will also depend on the individual family as well. I know a PP mentioned that she had trouble getting FLL/WWE/AAS done, but PR got done. It sounds like PR is a better choice for her then! For me, FLL/WWE/AAS get done very easily, and I think PR would be more difficult to get done because I'd need to watch a DVD in order to teach, and my "free time" is precious. If I'm going to be watching TV, I'd rather it be one of the shows I recorded and haven't gotten to watch yet from 5 days ago. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, I mainly wanted to correct the quote above. AAS levels are NOT grade levels. They're skill levels. You go through the program at whatever pace your child needs. So that really isn't a good comparison. :)

I stand corrected on levels...however, if that is the case that you can go through 3 (or more) levels of AAS in one year, then the cost savings over using Phonics Road aren't really that much.

If AAS/WWE/FLL are working and getting done, then they are a superior combination for your family (and many others as well!). I was mostly just wanting to point out from the previous post on the cost comparison of PR, that all things considered, it really isn't such a *huge* money savings by using other programs. I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to switch from any LA combo they are using if it is working for their children, their family and reaching the goals they have established for their education!!

If we finish AAS1-6, does anyone happen to know at what PR level we should begin? You all are starting to move me and I want to look into PR more seriously.

Technically, Mrs. Beers would say to start in level 1. However....the first several weeks of Phonics Road level 3 is a comprehensive review of Phonics Road level 1 & 2. I believe it has all of the rule tunes and building codes you need as well. It doesn't come with the phonogram cards, but you could use AAS phonogram cards (there are only a couple of discrepancies between AAS phonograms and PR phonograms) or even Spell to Write to Read cards.

Sorry if I am interrupting this thread about PR. I just wanted to let you know what has been successful for my family regarding spelling. I went to a Spell to Write and Read seminar and also have been very familar with the SWR marking system for about five years. We just get bored with lists. My dyslexic daughter learns better with association and words in context. So...we use Spelling Wisdom by Sonya Shafer.

http://simplycharlottemason.com/books/spelling-wisdom/

"Learn today’s 6,000 most frequently used words presented in the writings of great men and women of history!"

Using quality literature, Spelling Wisdom helps our family's consistency with frequently used words in prepared dictation. I highlight the words in the passage that I want to be marked SWR style with syllables. I record the dictation using a microphone and the computer. My children can then work independently and still have me...using earphones. Since I have seven children, I prefer this to be as independent as possible. My inspiration for this was the audio spelling program from IEW. The children self-check their work and move on to the next passage with my approval.

I like how SWB's audio lecture on elementary writing explained the purpose of dictation in writing: holding words and thoughts in the mind before transcribing those on paper. Dictation is a technique that goes beyond spelling (thought processing, writing, concentration). So, Spelling Wisdom is our fifteen to twenty minute way to get in both SWR rules and dictation (my SWR/SWB fix).

Our Language Arts Combo: Daily my children write a one page composition, work on Latin, and find three words from their reading to add to their vocabulary binder with A to Z tabs (definition and sentence where the word was discovered). We alternate between Rod and Staff English and Spelling Wisdom. I hope that helps.

Janell

Edited by LivingHope
add our LA combo

I think that was me. I really like AAS, WWE, and FLL. However, I found it difficult to do three different levels of each program with three different kids. Part of it could have been the psychological impact of physically needing to grab each individual program and having to check each individual program off as we work through our school schedule. With PR, I just need the books for PR and have one item to check off. :tongue_smilie: Level 1 of PR takes about 10-15 min. (plus however much time my dd takes to color the picture on the reader). Level 2 takes 15-25 min. Level 3 averages 25-35 min. Those minutes cover more than the sum of AAS/WWE/FLL. Now that I have four kids needing LA instruction, I'm even gladder to have PR. :)

I absolutely agree that you should not change what's working! I'm just glad to finally find something that works for me and my kids. :)

If we finish AAS1-6, does anyone happen to know at what PR level we should begin? You all are starting to move me and I want to look into PR more seriously.

Depends on the grammar foundation your child has. How 'bout writing foundation? If the answer is not much or just a little, start with 2. If the answer is a good beginning, then 3 will do!

bosco....the AIO is brought up for 2 reasons: there's no redundancy and since you're using 1 program, you get a different kind of application. It's beautiful! The time gets mentioned b/c people have this idea the PR is teacher intensive, when it's really no moreso than other programs (like the lineup you mentioned).