Menu

PR2 users...a couple questions please? I used PR1 this year and...

HappyGrace

(with ds8) and he loved and I liked the results, but....I don't think I can deal with the dvds another year for PR2!!! There were weeks that we didn't get spelling done because I hadn't watched the dvd. :(

Also I want him to get the grammar more quickly than they have it scheduled, since he will be using it in 3rd grade rather than 2nd and he really, really needs to get some grammar to help him in his co-op writing class next yr (he hasn't had much at all.) I want him to have some sentence parsing and I see that PR2 has that. I did some Shurley at that age with older dd and the parsing for a year helped cement her parts of speech. I don't really want to do Shurley with him because it is cumbersome to teach.

I don't see any other grammar program out there that I really like.

One other thing-I don't think there was enough review of the words each week. I like the word attack skills it teaches though. He does look like eventually he will be a natural speller, so I'm not sure I need all this. I barely ever did a spelling program with older dd (natural speller) and she is fine.

I don't think I would use the lit portion-just more dvds to watch and I don't like how it drags the book out so long, plus we JUST got done with this book!

Agh, I just really don't think I can do the dvds again. Is it possible that I could just have HIM watch the dvds?

Is PR2 really, really that worth it?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had it to do over, I probably wouldn't do it. That isn't to say it wasn't good. It did what it was intended to do. It introduced grammar, it expanded spelling. We HATED the Little House Study. I dropped it after 2 weeks. My daughter read the Little House books on her own. It just went way to slow. My daughter looked at me like I was nuts when I would tell her we were done reading it for the day.

She's a pretty natural speller so if had it to do over (which I won't because she's my last LOL) I would do dictation and something along the lines of PLL (or ILL with the workbooks from LBC depending on the child's ability), Writing Tales 1, CW Primary etc. We did do WT1 (adjusted for her age level so she didn't rewrite the whole story) and honestly I think the grammar she learned there was as effective if not more than PR2.

I feel kind of funny making it sound like it was bad. It wasn't. I don't look back and feel like we wasted our time. I just feel like we could have gotten there in a different way without having to deal with things like the PR DVDs. On the other hand, my daughter liked the PR notebook and thought it was fun so maybe it was ok. She didn't have to watch the DVDs so she didn't whine about that LOL. And to be fair, after a while I started seriously fast forwarding.

Heather

I just feel like we could have gotten there in a different way without having to deal with things like the PR DVDs.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. You don't know how much it helps to hear you say that!

And yes, I can tell from looking at it that the lit study would be a bust here-WAY too slow a pace through one book!

Thanks, very freeing indeed!

I have my 5th grader accelerating through PR2. After using a couple of other grammar programs with no retention, this is finally sticking for my ds. You learn a new part of speech, then every week, you mark those parts of speech in your dictation sentences. So, it sticks.

The lit. study would move way too slow for him, except we do one week of the schedule per day. We will finish the lit. study next week. His writing skills have really grown through doing this study. If you chose to do this and finished the study early, you can start to apply the writing skills that you learned to content subjects or add something in for writing until you move on.

I am about to buy level three. (I wish I could find it used) I realized that I will be watching my third set of PR dvds since October. I don't enjoy it. But, I forward through most of the spelling portion. PR 2 has notes at the bottom of the screen to tell you when you need to add a word to a building code. I listen to most of the framing code portion (grammar), but can forward through some of it. The lit. portion of the dvd is quite short and only takes a few minutes to watch.

I will continue with PR3 because I can see great value in how this is taught. The grammar and writing are really about to pick up from what I can see in the scope and sequence. Oh, and for review in spelling...I made a box of index cards for review similar to AAS. I put each word on a card and then made dividers for REVIEW, MASTERED, and FUTURE. I keep a card in the review section until I am confident they know how to spell it. If they miss it during review, we mark it again. I don't want them to simply memorize, but to know why the word is spelled a certain way. We also review a few from the mastered section periodically. However, I am seeing that this is not really necessary. Level 2 started with a four-week review of level 1 words. Level 3 reviews all level 1 & 2 words in the beginning before moving into new words. So, review really is built in, just not in the way we are accustomed to seeing it.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. You don't know how much it helps to hear you say that!

And yes, I can tell from looking at it that the lit study would be a bust here-WAY too slow a pace through one book!

Thanks, very freeing indeed!

I could have sworn the first time I read this you asked what LBC is. In case I'm not insane - LBC is Living Books Curriculum. They have turned Intermediate Language Lessons into 3 workbooks. They look really nice.

Heather

(with ds8) and he loved and I liked the results, but....I don't think I can deal with the dvds another year for PR2!!! There were weeks that we didn't get spelling done because I hadn't watched the dvd. :(

Also I want him to get the grammar more quickly than they have it scheduled, since he will be using it in 3rd grade rather than 2nd and he really, really needs to get some grammar to help him in his co-op writing class next yr (he hasn't had much at all.) I want him to have some sentence parsing and I see that PR2 has that. I did some Shurley at that age with older dd and the parsing for a year helped cement her parts of speech. I don't really want to do Shurley with him because it is cumbersome to teach.

I don't see any other grammar program out there that I really like.

One other thing-I don't think there was enough review of the words each week. I like the word attack skills it teaches though. He does look like eventually he will be a natural speller, so I'm not sure I need all this. I barely ever did a spelling program with older dd (natural speller) and she is fine. This will pick up significantly in level 2, as the dictation increases and also through both the grammar and lit. study.

I don't think I would use the lit portion-just more dvds to watch and I don't like how it drags the book out so long, plus we JUST got done with this book!

Agh, I just really don't think I can do the dvds again. Is it possible that I could just have HIM watch the dvds? Just let him watch them. Many people do this.

Is PR2 really, really that worth it?

PR2 is SO worth it. Level 1 is only the beginning. It get meatier and meatier from here on out. Finish the lit. guide as a stand alone study and get the writing skills from it. Work through the spelling and grammar at a slightly increased rate, although once you get to level 3, it's pretty hefty and you may choose to slow down.

The writing skills sequences for the levels are on my blog.

I have my 5th grader accelerating through PR2. After using a couple of other grammar programs with no retention, this is finally sticking for my ds. You learn a new part of speech, then every week, you mark those parts of speech in your dictation sentences. So, it sticks.

The lit. study would move way too slow for him, except we do one week of the schedule per day. We will finish the lit. study next week. His writing skills have really grown through doing this study. If you chose to do this and finished the study early, you can start to apply the writing skills that you learned to content subjects or add something in for writing until you move on.

I am about to buy level three. (I wish I could find it used) I realized that I will be watching my third set of PR dvds since October. I don't enjoy it. But, I forward through most of the spelling portion. PR 2 has notes at the bottom of the screen to tell you when you need to add a word to a building code. I listen to most of the framing code portion (grammar), but can forward through some of it. The lit. portion of the dvd is quite short and only takes a few minutes to watch.

I will continue with PR3 because I can see great value in how this is taught. The grammar and writing are really about to pick up from what I can see in the scope and sequence. Oh, and for review in spelling...I made a box of index cards for review similar to AAS. I put each word on a card and then made dividers for REVIEW, MASTERED, and FUTURE. I keep a card in the review section until I am confident they know how to spell it. If they miss it during review, we mark it again. I don't want them to simply memorize, but to know why the word is spelled a certain way. We also review a few from the mastered section periodically. However, I am seeing that this is not really necessary. Level 2 started with a four-week review of level 1 words. Level 3 reviews all level 1 & 2 words in the beginning before moving into new words. So, review really is built in, just not in the way we are accustomed to seeing it.

This is brilliant!! Thank you, thank you!! We are also doing 1 week of the Lit. Study in a couple of days. I have my son read a small portion one day, I read the rest the next and then we do the pages.

Argh. Such a tough decision. I am thinking about having him watch the dvd himself in some of these last wks of PR1 and see how that goes. If that works, I might be able to try it again. But I am still leaning hard against doing it.

MGof3-you are CRAZY, you watched all those dvds in that amount of time? I'd be in the loony bin-lol!

Haha-Heather, you are not insane-I did ask that, but quickly found it myself when I googled so I took the question out of my post. Thanks for the clarification though! The workbooks do look great. I don't think my little guy would like them though, unfortunately.

I'm leaning toward doing the Shurley for a year, and maybe run him through the SWR lists (which I have) and marking the words. Not perfectly ideal, but at least it's streamlined. May do WWE too, since it only takes about ten min/day and is valuable. Oh, and I would LOVE to do WT1 with him, but he'll already be doing IEW in co-op.

Thanks, everyone! More people can feel free to chime in still!

• 2 weeks later...

We use spelling city for review. Tina has the words already entered so I can cheat off of her. :)

Here is what I am thinking right now: DD does very well in LA. She enjoys LA and she can do LA fairly independently. Why then am I spending more time and money on LA? She needs help in math and she loves science but we are stealing from those subjects in order to spend the time and money on PR.

HappyGrace, I will give my opinion based on the OP: Use Phonics Road 2. The grammar is just perfect. The grammar is a separate section from the spelling and literature study. I think that you could speed most of it up and do 2 weeks over one school week.

PR2 will also get your foundation in spelling completed, and it is really not a burden if you follow the schedule.

I will not be continuing with PR next year, but I don't regret using PR 1 and 2 at all. I think that they are wonderful and give a great foundation.

When are you starting your next LA program? In the fall?

I can't do it. I want to do PR2, but I know it won't get done. I can barely get us to finish PR1!! I know it is easy, I know I can fast forward, I know it's a great program. I don't know why, but I have a mental block against doing it.

The OP for this was last month and I've decided against continuing with PR. It was a hard decision but I feel relieved about it.

So far my plan for spelling is to do the word lists in SWR (which I own) and dictation. He looks like he's going to end up being a natural speller anyway (like older dd and me). For grammar I'll be using FLL3. We'll start all this in the fall.

In the meantime, I have to push myself to finish PR1.

I can't do it. I want to do PR2, but I know it won't get done. I can barely get us to finish PR1!! I know it is easy, I know I can fast forward, I know it's a great program. I don't know why, but I have a mental block against doing it.

The OP for this was last month and I've decided against continuing with PR. It was a hard decision but I feel relieved about it.

So far my plan for spelling is to do the word lists in SWR (which I own) and dictation. He looks like he's going to end up being a natural speller anyway (like older dd and me). For grammar I'll be using FLL3. We'll start all this in the fall.

In the meantime, I have to push myself to finish PR1.

Okay! I am sorry, disregard! Well.... who says you have to finish PR1 anyway? :tongue_smilie:

I didn't know you had SWR. I heard that there are rule cards? Will you be marking the words? Honestly, I don't see a need for PR 2 if you have all of that. Will you be handling syllabication with SWR or something else? I was researching spelling last night and I lost all of my open windows. Now I have to go back and look at samples again to make sure I have that covered. Grrr.

Thanks for all of your threads. Deciding to switch our LA has given me hope for homeschooling again.

You would not believe my spelling saga, starting way back with older dd! She was the one I did SWR with and she hated it (after I had spent a month-literally-every night trying to figure it out.) But by then I was sold on Spalding/OG and tried HTTS, AAS, etc. I finally just dropped spelling programs with her because in the meantime I realized she is a natural speller. We pretty much just do lists that I make up for her of words that trouble her and other words I think she should know. She doesn't know syllabication though. But I never learned it and I am an excellent speller.

SWR does have rule cards. I'm just going to use the word lists and do markings only as needed. I'm not going to do the whole SWR program. I think ds will end up being a natural speller too and I'm not going to :banghead: about spelling anymore!

I hope you find something that works. :grouphug: I know how hard it is to find the right fit for both teacher and student!

You would not believe my spelling saga, starting way back with older dd! She was the one I did SWR with and she hated it (after I had spent a month-literally-every night trying to figure it out.) But by then I was sold on Spalding/OG and tried HTTS, AAS, etc. I finally just dropped spelling programs with her because in the meantime I realized she is a natural speller. We pretty much just do lists that I make up for her of words that trouble her and other words I think she should know. She doesn't know syllabication though. But I never learned it and I am an excellent speller.

SWR does have rule cards. I'm just going to use the word lists and do markings only as needed. I'm not going to do the whole SWR program. I think ds will end up being a natural speller too and I'm not going to :banghead: about spelling anymore!

I hope you find something that works. :grouphug: I know how hard it is to find the right fit for both teacher and student!

HappyGrace,

I am in hearty agreement with you....SWB's quote on one of her excellent writing seminars is, "It's just spelling."

Give yourself a break and deal with a problem if it arises. My oldest two have all the natural speller tendencies.....I wonder why I was so obsessed with spelling?! Sheesh. My plan is to teach the phonograms and how to analyze/build words with them. Then, we'll use a workbook approach for consistency in word work and I'll trouble shoot as we go. Really, that's a WTM kind of recommendation. SWB recommends SWO and then having a spelling section in the student's English studies notebook. There is a place to write down rules that the kiddo grapples with along with trouble words that can be reviewed. Use dictation too....

Anyway, just a shout out from another Mom who is going to stop the spelling obsession. When I let it go a HUGE weight lifted off of my shoulders. :001_smile: My DH is pretty happy about it too....

I just wanted to say that so far by using PR for spelling I have been following SWBs suggestions. My daughter started reading at 3 (I had gone through phonics with her to about 2nd grade level) and balked at further phonics instruction. I had to get the rest of phonics in there without turning her off and according to SWB phonetic based spelling is the way to do it.

I just think that we have done that... now I can relax.

Okay! I am sorry, disregard! Well.... who says you have to finish PR1 anyway? :tongue_smilie:

Well since I'm the one who gave her the go ahead to stop and not do PR2, I'll be the one to say 'you need to finish PR1' LOL.

You can do it. Just think of it this way - it's the light at the end of the tunnel. When you are done, you never have to watch another PR DVD again. But you will feel so much better if you go ahead and finish.

(((HUGS)))

Heather

I don't think abrightmom was saying that PR is NOT following SWB, just that there is more than one way to get to the same place.

Heather said that earlier in this post at the time it was written (last month) and for some reason that was a huge epiphany for me.

I'm looking at it as more than one road can get to the same place, so I need to pick the road that doesn't feel like a noose around my neck. In this case, I was afraid to unloosen that noose because ds loves PR, but I realized I needed to find something that works for me too, as the teacher.

I just wanted to say that so far by using PR for spelling I have been following SWBs suggestions. My daughter started reading at 3 (I had gone through phonics with her to about 2nd grade level) and balked at further phonics instruction. I had to get the rest of phonics in there without turning her off and according to SWB phonetic based spelling is the way to do it.

I just think that we have done that... now I can relax.

Well sort of... yes... there is more than one way to get rules based spelling. There is a less teacher intensive way... and that is what I am doing. Thanks for the conversation. I didn't really get to read your reply as the kids are running out the door for our recess time. I will read more later though.

:grouphug:

lol! Thanks, Heather! After looking at the scope and sequence for AAS yesterday, I realized I do want to finish PR1-he really needs to nail down especially how to add suffixes, since it's starting to come up in his writing.

After finishing PR1, I'll feel like we've covered most of the basic rules and can move on.

Yes, great conversation.

It will sound weird, but I actually DO feel that PR is not really teacher intensive and is quite efficient. It is a GREAT program. I just personally for some reason have a huge mental block against the dvds and that has hindered our progress.

Yes, great conversation.

It will sound weird, but I actually DO feel that PR is not really teacher intensive and is quite efficient. It is a GREAT program. I just personally for some reason have a huge mental block against the dvds and that has hindered our progress.

I agree. It really isn't time consuming. I know that other programs still require some teaching. I just think that a student workbook gives us more firm direction. That is what I need. Some blank pages that include written directions and need filled in. I also feel like it will help a lot if she has something to do if I have to walk away to help her brother in the bathroom or to get a toy. With PR that is just not possible at all. HTTS has this, but only for one or two days and then the rest of the days are just like PR. I chose SWS&V because there are more days with workbook pages than not. I can feel comfortable using it now that we already have the word attack skills and explicit rules from PR and AAS.

You know I just feel a need to clarify everything to the Nth degree. I don't feel that there was ever a misunderstanding here. ;)

oh, okay, thanks-i've just seen it abbreviated SWS before; that's what threw me off.

I don't like how they put all the types of one sound together in the spelling lists-big pet peeve after doing Spalding, etc. Not that it isn't good, but as a visual speller that always confused me and my dc hate it too.

It is funny-all this concern over spelling and then just today I saw some notes that my dc were "mailing" to each other-I can't believe how much ds8's spelling has improved over a couple months ago-he is reading much more now, and I can see that he naturally internalizes the spelling. He was writing words like "ready" and "letter" correctly and I would have thought he would still write them "redy" and "leter"-he has not learned these words so he must have just picked them up in his reading. So I am greatly encouraged!

Edited by HappyGrace

oh, okay, thanks-i've just seen it abbreviated SWS before; that's what threw me off.

I don't like how they put all the types of one sound together in the spelling lists-big pet peeve after doing Spalding, etc. Not that it isn't good, but as a visual speller that always confused me and my dc hate it too.

I noticed that but Ack! I didn't really think it would be a problem. One thing I love about PR is the variety of words per lesson. hmph:glare:

It is funny-all this concern over spelling and then just today I saw some notes that my dc were "mailing" to each other-I can't believe how much ds8's spelling has improved over a couple months ago-he is reading much more now, and I can see that he naturally internalizes the spelling. He was writing words like "ready" and "letter" correctly and I would have thought he would still write them "redy" and "leter"-he has not learned these words so he must have just picked them up in his reading. So I am greatly encouraged!

:iagree: about the way words/sounds are grouped together in SWS. Something else that I didn't care for was picking out misspelled words. I don't like my kiddos seeing misspelled words at this point because I find it confusing. I'd like them to see the word spelled correctly as much as possible. I *think* SWO also has lists of misspelled words that the kids are supposed to pick through but I'm not sure. That is why R&S is my first choice for workbook based spelling unless we use HTTS.

I noticed that but Ack! I didn't really think it would be a problem. One thing I love about PR is the variety of words per lesson. hmph:glare:

:iagree: I adore PR's spelling....I have almost caved in and purchased Level Two because of it. I waver daily....

Something else that I didn't care for was picking out misspelled words.

:iagree: Whenever I see this in a program, I refuse to buy it for that reason. My dc are so visual-I never want them looking at misspelled words or they will pick it up for sure.

Sigh...PR-I wish she had done it in a workbook form or some type of teacher's manual!

I really don't understand why you need to watch the DVDs at all. If you are going to teach from a SWR spelling list next year, then you must have the resources to teach... why can't you just teach from the manual and ignore the DVDs? I hardly ever watch the DVDs.:001_huh:

:iagree: about the way words/sounds are grouped together in SWS. Something else that I didn't care for was picking out misspelled words. I don't like my kiddos seeing misspelled words at this point because I find it confusing.
I thought that this was a difference between SWO and SWS... that SWS didn't have that. I will have to double check.

Rod and Staff didn't look much different from HTTS to me. Very little in the way of workbook page practice... one workbook lesson per week, that only covers one day. :confused:

I thought that this was a difference between SWO and SWS... that SWS didn't have that. I will have to double check.

Rod and Staff didn't look much different from HTTS to me. Very little in the way of workbook page practice... one workbook lesson per week, that only covers one day. :confused:

Carmen,

Check this sample Scroll down to Lesson 3 Day 2. :glare: That turned me off to SWS...

: Something else that I didn't care for was picking out misspelled words. I don't like my kiddos seeing misspelled words at this point because I find it confusing.

I agree with this. I also don't care for jumbled words which I also saw in the SWS samples. For some kids this is fine but for my youngest, even though she's a natural speller, this would be a disaster.

Heather

I agree with this. I also don't care for jumbled words which I also saw in the SWS samples. For some kids this is fine but for my youngest, even though she's a natural speller, this would be a disaster.

Heather

Good point Heather! I am not sure how unscrambling a word actually teaches a child to spell!!! :001_smile: I think unscrambling a word can be just a fun activity for someone who can already spell and enjoys word play but definitely confusing for a student still learning to put letters and sounds in the right sequence. I am glad you brought that up.... my dreams of using a workbook are beginning to crumble! I think R&S may be the only acceptable one (or HTTS....).

Carmen,

Check this sample Scroll down to Lesson 3 Day 2. :glare: That turned me off to SWS...

Thank you. I think I jumped the gun a bit because these workbooks reminded me of one that DD really liked (Star Spangled States) This doesn't really bother me. I figure that I can skip a page every other lesson or so... then I thought hmmm... discriminating between the correct and incorrect spelling is a skill I use all of the time. I also scramble and misspell words in my typing all of the time. I asked DH and he just said it looked too hard. I gave DD the page to do and she flew through it. :D Edited by Lovedtodeath

Good point Heather! I am not sure how unscrambling a word actually teaches a child to spell!!! :001_smile: I think unscrambling a word can be just a fun activity for someone who can already spell and enjoys word play but definitely confusing for a student still learning to put letters and sounds in the right sequence. I am glad you brought that up.... my dreams of using a workbook are beginning to crumble! I think R&S may be the only acceptable one (or HTTS....).
I know we are missing a ton on our list. I will hunt them up. I know that ElizabethB has a couple that she recommends.

It didn't bother me. I figure that I can skip a page every other lesson or so... then I thought hmmm... discriminating between the correct and incorrect spelling is a skill I use all of the time. I also scramble and misspell words in my typing all of the time. I asked DH and he just said it looked too hard. I gave DD the page to do and she flew through it. :D

To me this is part of the writing process, not spelling learning. Editing work is different than seeing words that you are trying to learn to spell spelled incorrectly. At least that has been my experience. I know that in pretty much all materials I have read about dictation and using it for spelling teaching they highly encourage watching the dictation to prevent a student from spelling the words incorrectly. This seems like a similar thing to me. I teach editing and how to look for and correct spelling mistakes as part of my students writing lessons rather than part of their spelling.

Heather

Katrina, have you looked at SpellWell?

To me this is part of the writing process, not spelling learning. Editing work is different than seeing words that you are trying to learn to spell spelled incorrectly. At least that has been my experience. I know that in pretty much all materials I have read about dictation and using it for spelling teaching they highly encourage watching the dictation to prevent a student from spelling the words incorrectly. This seems like a similar thing to me. I teach editing and how to look for and correct spelling mistakes as part of my students writing lessons rather than part of their spelling.

Heather

Yes, I know you all are right. Thanks for spelling it out for me. Ha! I am so punny!

Here it is:

I would focus on the most frequent words and make sure she can spell those. For this, I like Spelling Plus, it teaches the most common 1,000 words by rule and pattern. If she needs to write the words in sentences, they have a companion book called Spelling Dictation.

Then, perhaps have her make a spelling notebook with words she frequently uses and misspells, those are important to learn to spell.

At that age, she should be able to have some input as well and help figure out what works for her. For me, knowing the rule/reason behind why I am misspelling a word is very helpful. It also helps me to slightly mispronounce words in my head with their "spelling pronunciation." For example, I say separate in my head with a bit of an ar sound (ar as in car) instead of it's schwa'd sound to help me remember the a.

I used to be a poor speller until I started tutoring with phonics and learned all the sound/spelling correspondences and phonetic spelling rules, now I can spell much better.

I used it for a while and recommend it for all my remedial students. You can see a few sample pages at cbd and rainbow resource, I think.

I quit using it becaue my daughter did a ton of spelling practice for a spelling bee and other materials were better for that. After all that studying, other materials out there are a better fit for her, but I still think Spelling Plus is the most efficient way to teach the rules with lists of words grouped by rule and sound spelling pattern.

And here is a list on her page: http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/phonicsandspelli.html

What about this one: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=257046&item_code=WW&netp_id=896361&event=ESRCN&view=details#curr

Maybe use the How to Spell workbook to illustrate the rule that applies and then use this for the extra practice?

It seems that without doing crossword puzzles, scrambled words and editing, there really isn't much to do with spelling words in a worksheet format... which is why the phonics and rules-based programs don't have a lot of worksheets?

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Thank-you Carmen! I have Spelling Plus and I consider it a valuable resource. Building Spelling Skills looks VERY promising!!! I may pick up a few levels....it is so difficult to figure out where to place a kiddo based on samples. I think Building Spelling Skills may be the best workbook option....I'm going to spend more time with the samples from varying levels. :001_smile:

I am glad you brought that up.... my dreams of using a workbook are beginning to crumble! I think R&S may be the only acceptable one (or HTTS....).

R&S is the only non-teacher-intensive one that I've seen, and I didn't care for the 2nd grade book because it didn't really teach much of the "why", though I think it gets better in the later grades. The samples look better in the later grades, at least. To the PP that mentioned the amount of work - it's meant to be done Part A one day, Part B another day, Part C another day, then you test. So yes, it's just short sections - 2 pages per week.

I've resigned myself to sticking with AAS and using it in a streamlined manner (no tiles except to demonstrate a concept, writing on the white board or a handheld white board for the spelling list and the dictation). I'm only using it with one though, so it's easy enough for me to use. By time I have 2 in school, the oldest will probably be completely done with it.

Have you thought of using a program like Simply Spelling? It's studied dictation with a little something to do each day. It's simple, but looks like it'd work well. You would just need to test on Friday, I think. It's only $10 for the PDF that covers grades 3-12. I'd be trying it now, but my son isn't ready for that much dictation (being in first grade and writing phobic). It doesn't cover ALL the cool rules that the O-G/Spalding type programs cover, but neither do any of the workbooks (besides HTTS), as far as I can tell. :tongue_smilie:

R&S is the only non-teacher-intensive one that I've seen, and I didn't care for the 2nd grade book because it didn't really teach much of the "why", though I think it gets better in the later grades. The samples look better in the later grades, at least. To the PP that mentioned the amount of work - it's meant to be done Part A one day, Part B another day, Part C another day, then you test. So yes, it's just short sections - 2 pages per week.

I've resigned myself to sticking with AAS and using it in a streamlined manner (no tiles except to demonstrate a concept, writing on the white board or a handheld white board for the spelling list and the dictation). I'm only using it with one though, so it's easy enough for me to use. By time I have 2 in school, the oldest will probably be completely done with it.

Have you thought of using a program like Simply Spelling? It's studied dictation with a little something to do each day. It's simple, but looks like it'd work well. You would just need to test on Friday, I think. It's only $10 for the PDF that covers grades 3-12. I'd be trying it now, but my son isn't ready for that much dictation (being in first grade and writing phobic). It doesn't cover ALL the cool rules that the O-G/Spalding type programs cover, but neither do any of the workbooks (besides HTTS), as far as I can tell. :tongue_smilie:

I almost suggested that one too. Thanks for helping us out.

I will take a look at R&S again... I am thinking that if I decide it isn't enough, it might be possible to combine two or three workbooks to get enough work in. That is keeping it simple, right? :lol:

Simply Spelling looks VERY promising....

I really like dictation and having some rules explanation linked to the dictation is wonderful. :001_smile: Wow, there are some excellent options! I'm going to consider using BOTH! :D I spent time looking at Building Spelling Skills and it is currently my top choice for a workbook based spelling program.

I really like dictation and having some rules explanation linked to the dictation is wonderful. :001_smile: Wow, there are some excellent options! I'm going to consider using BOTH! :D I spent time looking at Building Spelling Skills and it is currently my top choice for a workbook based spelling program.

Let us know how those go for you! :lurk5:

Tee hee, and I was asked why I had two picked out.

This was fun. Now I am rethinking it again. I think that a big difference for me is that we are finishing PR 2 first then going into a workbook, so the spelling will all be review really and I want to be sure to get some work with derivations in.

I do think it makes a difference to be through PR2. That's why I feel like we have many spelling options because she has that foundation.

Well I'm off to bed. I worked last night and got home at 6:30 this morning. YAWN!!

Heather

This was fun. Now I am rethinking it again. I think that a big difference for me is that we are finishing PR 2 first then going into a workbook, so the spelling will all be review really and I want to be sure to get some work with derivations in.

I do think it makes a difference to be through PR2. That's why I feel like we have many spelling options because she has that foundation.

Well I'm off to bed. I worked last night and got home at 6:30 this morning. YAWN!!

Heather

Heather and Carmen,

Do you think we should go through PR 2 to complete our spelling foundation? My 6 year old is on the cusp of beginning Level One and my oldest accelerated through. I didn't have him go on to PR 2 because I stalled out with choosing curriculum....HOD really made me crazy and we just spun our wheels for 3 months. DH thinks I should use PR 2 but I kinda don't want to be stuck with the AIO. We are staying with WWE for now and I think PR 2 with WWE is a lot of writing.....just to get a strong spelling foundation. As far as grammar goes, I don't think PR is the only way to good grammar (but what do I know?!).

Let me know your thoughts here....:001_smile:

Heather and Carmen,

Do you think we should go through PR 2 to complete our spelling foundation? My 6 year old is on the cusp of beginning Level One and my oldest accelerated through. I didn't have him go on to PR 2 because I stalled out with choosing curriculum....HOD really made me crazy and we just spun our wheels for 3 months. DH thinks I should use PR 2 but I kinda don't want to be stuck with the AIO. We are staying with WWE for now and I think PR 2 with WWE is a lot of writing.....just to get a strong spelling foundation. As far as grammar goes, I don't think PR is the only way to good grammar (but what do I know?!).

Let me know your thoughts here....:001_smile:

I hate the Little House study. Oh, I am sorry, but I do! So does DD... even more so!

Other than that I am glad that we are finishing PR 2. I love the PR grammar. Really love it.

I really need to end this but I will continue later to talk about how I am working PR 2 out to be less intense, and ways in which I have made it more difficult. I think that it will really be easy to finish it now that I have learned from my mistakes and we are dropping the lit study.

I also need to explain why I felt the need to use PR... maybe kids with a good phonics foundation who are not hesitant to sound things out don't need to.

So Heather, Katrina, I guess this is to be continued! Good night!

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Do you think we should go through PR 2 to complete our spelling foundation?

If you're not wanting to do PR2 but want the foundation, why not doing WRTR or SWR? Or did you try those already? I get confused about who has done what. :lol:

Or can you take the concepts learned in PR and just use your own word lists to analyze? I haven't used PR, but I know a lot of these programs do all the phonograms and rules and such up front, then you just get your lists of words. Is that how it works? I could be completely off base here. :tongue_smilie:

I also need to explain why I felt the need to use PR... maybe kids with a good phonics foundation who are not hesitant to sound things out don't need to.

I get it! That's why I'm using AAS for my son. He needed the good phonics foundation because he didn't get them when learning to read. It's been *great* for him, so like you, I've kept with it because it's working for him and affecting both his reading AND spelling. He'd probably do just as well with SWR or WRTR or PR, but I like the way AAS holds my hand and is written down, plus I don't want the AIO stuff (I think DS would get bored with a Little House study as well :glare:). I checked WRTR out from the library long ago and didn't understand how to use it. I maybe could now, but we're at the point where "If it ain't broke...", plus we've figured out how to make AAS move at a better pace for us, so it's working well now and we're in a groove (plus levels 3+ look more difficult than levels 1-2, which really should be in ONE book). I've still looked at more spelling programs than I care to admit, and sometimes I have to say to myself ":chillpill:! It's just spelling!" :lol: