Menu

s/o midwife arrest: at what point should an individual's choices be overridden?

This was inspired by some of the discussion in the midwife arrest thread, but the question applies to many other things as well.

People have so many different opinions. And from many anecdotal stories in the area of maternity care especially, it seems that some doctors are quite willing to tramp all over women's right of informed consent and refusal of consent. But please feel free to speak about other areas as well.

To me, the thing that complicates the midwife issue is the question of the baby, who can't make a decision or accept a risk. There were risk factors for the mother involved as well (maybe just as great as to the child?) and some people in that thread have pointed to those as another reason she should not have been "allowed" to labor at home. However, I think she ought to be able to take whatever risk with her own life that she liked. I'm glad that there be laws that help inform us about our risks, but if we feel we understand them, then let us take them. Honestly, I think people should be able to treat their own bodies and property most any way they like as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else's safety.