Menu

Transcript question: Is listing a grading scale necessary??

Many of the homeschool transcripts I've seen from others include a grading scale (92-100% A, etc). But really, is that necessary? I mean it is somewhat arbitrary after all, and even in a public school setting teachers don't all use the same grading scale across the subjects. Thoughts?

I do think it's necessary. If you don't include it, the college has one less way of determining your standards. (Perhaps they'd conclude that your A grade ranges from 80 to 100!)

Something I considered at one point was including a non-numeric grading scale such as:

A - excellent or far exceeds expectations

B - very good or meets expectations

C - ...

Regards,

Kareni

What is YOUR grading scale? Mine has always been 95-100 = A 94-85= B... etc. I found out today that our local public school uses a 90-100 = A scale. Am I being too hard?

Your scale is more demanding than most with which I'm familiar. We used:

90-100 = A

80-89 = B

Another common scale is

93-100 = A

Regards,

Kareni

I put a grading scale on, but I also just list the numerical percentage for each subject and figure the college can decide if they want to call it an A or B, etc. For instance, Chemistry might read A/94 or something to that effect.

Our high school uses 92-100 as an A. Other high schools use 90 - 100 as an A. Kids in our high school were at a considerable disadvantage if they got a 91 or similar (borderline grade). The college had no way of knowing if the B+ students received was a 91 (or A- in other places) or an 88 (B+ by normal standards). Fortunately, I believe our high school is going to go with numerical grades in the future.

Of course, this still doesn't help a college know if the grade is an A in a rigorous course or an easier one, but... that's where the standardized tests are supposed to help.

What is YOUR grading scale? Mine has always been 95-100 = A 94-85= B... etc. I found out today that our local public school uses a 90-100 = A scale. Am I being too hard?

Yes. The highest I've ever run into was 93-100 for an A. The "norm" around here is 90-100. If you are using 95-100, you dc's grade point will be seriously handicapped.

I have this at the bottom of my transcripts:

Grades awarded according to numerical grading schedule:

A = 93-100%

A- = 90-92%

B+ = 88-89%

B = 83-87%

B- = 80-82%

C+ = 78-79%

C = 73-77%

C- = 70-72%

D+ = 68-69%

D = 63-67%

D- = 60-62%

I got this scale from a friend of mine and adopted it for us. It wouldn't print out here in the form I have it, so I had to paste it in differently, but it's the scale we use anyway. We've never had a problem with it.

On my son's transcript, I put a letter to 4.0 scale conversion (A = 4.0, A- = 3.7, etc.), since the transcript shows his GPA based on a 4.0.

On the Homeschooling Statement for the Common App, there is a section headed "Grading Scale", and subheaded "Explain your grading scale, or other methods of evaluation." Here, I explained what working towards mastery means in our homeschool, in terms of grading (essentially, nothing below a B, because we don't move on until the student demonstrates understanding of the material). I didn't actually provide a scale here, but discussed the fact that sometimes we used objective testing materials, but sometimes grades were assigned in a more "holistic" fashion.

I think this honesty about "mommy grades" worked in for us, because my son took few outside classes, but has the test scores (SAT IIs, etc.) to back up his high GPA.

This is the scale we use to be consistent with other courses. If I was doing my own scale, I'd probably use the typical 90 - 100 = A ...

Letter Percent Scale Points

A+ 99-100 4.0

A 95-98 4.0

A- 93-94 3.7

B+ 90-92 3.3

B 87-89 3.0

B- 85-86 2.7

C+ 82-84 2.3

C 79-81 2.0

C- 77-78 1.7

D+ 75-76 1.3

D 72-74 1.0