Menu

Has anyone used the Calvert script (cursive)??

BatmansWife

In the fall my daughter will be starting Calvert and she is sooooo super excited! I know one of the things she'll be working on is Calvert script and learning cursive. The only samples I see look like this. I don't know if this is the full sample or not. The upper case letters look like printing and the lower case are more cursive. Are they just showing upper case printing and lower case cursive and just not showing upper case cursive and lower case printing (Ha! Can you make sense of that sentence? I know what I mean. :lol:)? Or, is this is; is this the way the upper and lower case cursive looks?

Calvert script is very easy to teach because the capital letters are the same as in printing and most small letters have a straight upright vertical component. Very clean minimal lines. I wish they had a better sample for you to see--it's nice looking and easy to read when you have a full page of it. When I was young and experimented with calligraphy, I changed to my own style of writing which was a cross between printing and cursive and Calvert script reminds me of it. My middle son is learning Calvert script in first grade and my parents keep remarking how beautiful and artistic his writing looks. Assuming they must think he came up with his own style, I show them the Calvert script writing book. Then, when he spends an over night with them, they again express astonishment over his beautiful handwriting!? But your daughter is free to continue using any handwriting style she wants. Even if she is signed up for ATS, where you send her tests and writing papers in for one of their teachers to assess, you just let them know what writing program you are using.

Edited by Kerrie in VA

Thank you Kerrie! I like the look of it. I also write with a mix of cursive and printing...so I think I really like this. It does look super easy to teach/learn. I'm assuming you like Calvert. I'm hoping we will too. I know there's positive and negative about everything. So, right now I'm just having to focus on anything positive I can find. :001_smile: My daughter walks around with her Calvert catalog and wants to do it NOW. :lol: We just discovered the interactive online catalog today, so it was cool to look inside the books and see samples. I'm not sure if we'll be getting the ATS or not (we are getting Calvert either through a virtual school or through out local school district). Thank you again for letting me know about the cursive. I just might PM you sometime if I have any other questions about 1st grade (my daughter age wise would be older, but she didn't do well at all on the 2nd grade placement test. I'm thinking she needs the 1st grade to really help her be a solid reader/writer; which she definitely is not right now. Anyway....I'm rambling!).