Menu

Mineral makeup for mature skin

I've been on the search for a good foundation for EVER. I would love to use something pure (no talc, silicone, etc.) Liquid foundations are not being kind to my skin and I've tried them all, it seems.

So.... I found a Canadian company called Pure Anada and they seem to fit the "pure" requirements, but the place near me that sells it had NOTHING that remotely matched my skin colour. They said they were out of all the lighter shades and couldn't get anymore in for a while. I did get a little sample bag of a shade that I think *might* work.

So..... I'm wondering about it now that I've tried the sample. What is the trick to getting this stuff to look good? It looks so flaky and makes my dry skin look drier. I even used a primer (admittedly not their brand of primer), and it looks cakey, flaky awful. Colour is not bad, though it could be a bit less pink-y.

Can women of a more *ahem* mature age even use mineral makeup? Are my crow's feet and smile lines just too much for it? I don't have many lines, but what I do have are mostly the crow's feet variety and some lines under my eyes where they're getting a little baggy.

If you use mineral makeup AND you are over 40, how do you prep your face and how do you apply it?

Are there other brands you'd recommend that aren't Bare Escentuals or Pur Minerals? I've tried samples of those and they made me itch like crazy.

Audrey, I have 40ish skin and have used mineral makeup for years. I had used Bare Minerals, but last year switched to Everyday Minerals http://www.everydayminerals.com/store/base.html.

I love that it's very light on my skin. Admittedly, the coverage is not great with mineral makeup (it kind of defeats the purpose of having natural, light makeup if it's going to weigh heavy on the skin). I think the claims of Bare Minerals that it's coverage is amazing and covers all sorts of flaws is bunk.

It does, however, give a decent base and looks natural, and gives the skin a glow, but is also good for the skin.

I think the key is putting it on LIGHTLY. I remember when I first started using Bare Minerals I was not happy with it at and realized I was putting it on too heavy. It is meant to be buffed on lightly. If you ever saw the infomercial, that's the technique you want to use. Swirl your brush around, tap it, and buff it in your skin a section at a time. If you can see the makeup, it's on to heavy.

I think any makeup to some extent tends to settle in the, um, fine lines:) But I don't really see this with mineral makeup like I do with liquid foundation. I do use a liquide concealer for under my eyes. I also don't use any primer, just moisturize as usual, but wait for my skin to dry completely from the moisturizer, otherwise I find it sticks to it in a funny way.

Everyday Minerals is much cheaper than Bare Minerals and have a ton more colors. The nice thing, though, is that you can buy cheap samples and try different tints. They do have four different formulas, from light coverage to heavy coverage. I would order a couple color samples from each category and play around with it (make sure you have a good brush).

Good luck!

lisa

I use Bare Essentials mineral make-up, so I'm thinking that even if it makes your skin itch, mineral make-up in general might be fine (I'm definitely in the "mature" category :D ).

I don't know about "prep." I wash my face with a cleanser, use toner, follow with moisturizer.

Artistry (Amway's cosmetic/skin care line) has a mineral base coat, but the rest (blush, loose finishing powder) are not mineral.

Without a doubt, the best mineral makeup I've used has been Emani. Beautiful coverage, does not feel or look cakey or flaky. The only downside is it's pricey.

I am currently using Bare Escentuals that I received for Christmas, but will be switching back to Emani when I need to replace my foundation. There is just no comparison between the two. And, yes, my skin is *quite* mature ;)

I will be 39 this month. I have very fair skin, and I've had a hard time finding a company that makes any foundation light enough for my skin. I also have sensitive skin, so many mineral makeups agitate my skin.

I really like this company:

http://www.meowcosmetics.com/Foundation.htm

The Purrrfect Puss or Pampered Puss both work for my skin.

Their colors range to the very light, and they even have a perfectly white one. I get one with a tint of yellow to help with my rosacea. I use angora.

Their sample prices are fantastic too.

It doesn't look like they offer very many pale skin choices. Do you know whether this is true?

Without a doubt, the best mineral makeup I've used has been Emani. Beautiful coverage, does not feel or look cakey or flaky. The only downside is it's pricey.

I am currently using Bare Escentuals that I received for Christmas, but will be switching back to Emani when I need to replace my foundation. There is just no comparison between the two. And, yes, my skin is *quite* mature ;)

It doesn't look like they offer very many pale skin choices. Do you know whether this is true?

It looks like sand is the sole choice for very light skin.

You could drop them an email and inquire if they provide samples.

My daughter has extremely pale skin and has a tough time finding foundation colors light enough. She doesn't use mineral foundation though, so she's never tried the Emani line.

I first purchased their product through Isabella and on the Isabella site, they list only 3 choices: fair, medium (which is what I used) and dark. The fair (which is probably the sand) looks quite light.

I've tried a ton of different mineral makeups and finally settled on buff'd cosmetics . I have mature skin with larger pores, fine lines, etc. and it provides great coverage without a powdery, flaky look. I LOVE it! Also, they send out sample bags of their other color cosmetics with each order. You use so little, they end up going a long way. The prices are very reasonable IMO, and they even have sales from time to time.

Do you use the pressed foundation or the loose Powder? If it's the pressed, is it difficult to put on?

Thanks!

lisa

Lisa, thanks for the great info. I will order some samples of Everyday Minerals. Could you point me to a tutorial video? I'm not entirely sure what "buffing it in" really means. If I'm applying it totally wrong, I'll never get good results from any brand!

Lisa, thanks for the great info. I will order some samples of Everyday Minerals. Could you point me to a tutorial video? I'm not entirely sure what "buffing it in" really means. If I'm applying it totally wrong, I'll never get good results from any brand!

I'm on my nook and can't figure out how to link to the video, but if you search youtube for "applying bare minerals", there are clips demonstrating how it's done.

Good luck

lisa

Do you use the pressed foundation or the loose Powder? If it's the pressed, is it difficult to put on?

Thanks!

lisa

I've used only the pressed Emani. It's wonderful! It's not at all difficult to apply. And, it has such a soft, natural texture. I do use a big, fluffy brush, however, and not the applicator that comes in the compact. Also, it goes on much better with a primer under it---Emani makes a velvety serum/primer that fills in all the lines, etc., so the foundation goes on smoothly and flawlessly.

I used Bare Minerals several years ago and stopped for some reason. Last summer I started using it again. Within just a few weeks, I had several people tell me that my skin looked wonderful and radiant. I decided I'm never switching from Bare Minerals again.

I do use the max coverage concealer brush to apply it a bit heavier over some areas I want to conceal. I then buff it all over as directed and it blends together. I'm very, very happy with Bare Minerals.

BTW, I am 44.

I just bought this in pressed form, and I love it! My skin tone has been hard to match - but not with this brand. They literally have a ton of shades/colors. I think the trick w/minerals is to brush it on, then spritz w/either their spritz product (can't wait to try theirs!) or your own toner spray, if you use one. Perhaps water would work well, too? Not sure.

www.gloprofessional.com Prices are reasonable, imo. If I remember right, no talc, no parabens (except parabens in 4 products, including 3 mascara products)

In fact, if anyone knows of mascara that doesn't have parabens or other no-no's, please post.

In fact, if anyone knows of mascara that doesn't have parabens or other no-no's, please post.

I have Lavera mascara and am happy with it. I've been trying to choose paraben-free cosmetics for the last several years, and thankfully, there are now more companies offering natural alternatives.

I have found that makeup makes my skin look all dried out if I don't put this underneath:

http://www.iherb.com/Jason-Natural-5-000-I-U-Vitamin-E-Revitalizing-Moisturizing-Creme-4-oz-125-g/6293?at=0

I have no idea if this would help underneath the mineral makeup, but I have been so pleased with this cream (I have extremely sensitive skin) that I thought I'd share!

Are there other brands you'd recommend that aren't Bare Escentuals or Pur Minerals? I've tried samples of those and they made me itch like crazy.

I would look at the ingredient listings. The most common ingredient causing the itching is Bismuth Oxychloride, which I recommend avoiding. There are many companies out there that do not use it in their formulations.

Another cause of itching could be a new brush or even just using a brush to apply the minerals if your face isn't used to it. You can avoid the itching from brushes by using a synthetic brush.

I always recommend starting applying the makeup at the forehead and coming down the face in circular motions. This tends to avoid leaving a mass of product around your nose.

For the flaking, make sure you are applying a good moisturizer prior to applying the mineral makeup.

Disclaimer: Mineral makeup is my passion as I have been formulating it for the past 4 years. I'm not here to sell it, but please feel free to ask me any question on mineral makeup and I will try my best to get you an answer.

Audrey, with your dry skin, are you exfoliating? You can make a paste with baking soda and water, and use that to gently scrub the dead skin off your face 2-3 times per week. That should help get rid of the flakes.

Also, make sure you're using a good moisturizer. I use MK, which I know does not meet the "all natural" requirements, so I don't have a good recommendation for you there.

The MK mineral foundation brush is flat. I'm linking so you can see the picture. You swirl the makeup on your face. That helps make it even, and also brushes away excess at the same time.

Audrey, with your dry skin, are you exfoliating? You can make a paste with baking soda and water, and use that to gently scrub the dead skin off your face 2-3 times per week. That should help get rid of the flakes.

Also, make sure you're using a good moisturizer. I use MK, which I know does not meet the "all natural" requirements, so I don't have a good recommendation for you there.

The MK mineral foundation brush is flat. I'm linking so you can see the picture. You swirl the makeup on your face. That helps make it even, and also brushes away excess at the same time.

I admit I don't exfoliate enough -- only when I remember, which is maybe a couple of times of month. Also, I could probably stand to change my moisturizer. It's the same one I've used for 20 years and is really very light and meant for normal skin.

• 11 months later...
Guest jacobfaxo

Hi.., When we are young we barely need makeup to look good. But when we get older and we need the best more than ever, it sometimes seems impossible to find foundation that suits you. Don't think that it is impossible to find the right one. Its all about choosing right one and good products and applying them.