Menu

How often do you replace your vacuum cleaner? (Kind of a rant... but HELP!)

I just want one that WORKS for more than 5 minutes, for goodness' sake. I had a Kirby that bit the dust just before DS was born. It was 12 years old at that point. I really couldn't afford to replace it. So I bought a Kenmore that had gotten great reviews. Died in just over a year. The Dirt Devil has lasted almost 3 years. As of today, it will officially no longer pick anything up. Ok, it picks stuff up, but then it shoots it back out at my feet & ankles. It's just been this kind of week. Our refrigerator's extended warranty expired on Monday-- the refrigerator itself expired on Tuesday. Thank God for coolers and the deep freezer. I am (obviously) going to have to buy a new fridge this week (Goodbye Savings!), but I MUST have a vacuum cleaner, too. Any suggestions?

when it bit the dust, it would have cost hundreds to fix it. So I bought a Dyson at Costco. It has done a good job, but I've only had it for a year. When I talked to the vacuum repair shop and asked them about it, they tried to discourage me from buying it b/c there's a plastic part on it that costs about $90 to replace and it, supposedly, needs replacing every year or two.

I'm sure now that I've told you I haven't had any problems with it, I will have problems with it. LOL. But that's also why I bought it at Costco - there's nowhere better to return things if they fail prematurely.

Good luck.

Try craigslist and ebay for a used Kirby. We got one used that way that lasted several years (more than 5, I don't remember exactly though) for $75. We currently have a Eureka that is tolerable, but if I find another deal on a used Kirby I will snatch it up.

Our Oreck just broke after only about 3 years! :glare: I decided to buy a $40.00 Bissell (bag) vaccum at Walmart. I'm not wasting my money anymore on vaccums. It is working just fine.

I think I just read rave reviews for that bagged vac at Walmart. I'm sending DH to see if our local store has one. I can't wait for shipping-- I need it now. My mother insists that bagged vacuums were just a much better purchase. I'm starting to think she was absolutely right.

I'd have to say Kirby, too. It's the only one I've had that's lasted longer than a year or two. I've had it for over 12 years, maybe more - so long that I honestly can't remember how long it's been. But I know I've had it longer than I've had kids.

Shop vac. Picks up everything, socks, crayons, legos, you name it. You have to take a bit more time with pile carpet and you have to learn how to angle the head thingie just right to pick up stuff in the carpet but once you get the hang of it you will never go back to a regular vac. I can't kill mine. I was even able to suck up water when the washer overflowed.

Shop vac. Picks up everything, socks, crayons, legos, you name it. You have to take a bit more time with pile carpet and you have to learn how to angle the head thingie just right to pick up stuff in the carpet but once you get the hang of it you will never go back to a regular vac. I can't kill mine. I was even able to suck up water when the washer overflowed.

:lol::lol::lol: Too true!

Dyson gets my vote. I bought mine 8 years ago and it's great.

I killed the motor on my Meile with pet hair. It was very upsetting. I had a newish model, not the work horses of yore.

I am currently in the market for a new vac. :(

ETA: Shop vac! That's brilliant. I have two. One for the car and one in the barn! Thank you for that reminder!

I have had an oreck for 1.5 years now and love it. I hated my Dyson after about the 1st year. Even if I did clean the filters like I was supposed to, it just didn't pick up anymore. I thought maybe it was the belt and called customer service, there response was "Our belts are good forever, if you feel it's suctioning like it should it's probably just time for a new one" After a stinking year, no thanks, not for that price. I suffered with it for 2 another year and then had a bissell for a while, it was ok, but not great.

My parents and grandmother always had an Electrolux (that's Aerus Electrolux, not the electrolux brand at Sears). I think my parents still use one of Grandmother's which is really old school. We bought a used Aerus on ebay 10 years ago and it's working great. New models are expensive, but repairmen often have good used models that people have traded in. Hope you find what you need!

My first Electrolux upright lasted over 20 years. I replaced it with another Electrolux upright, which is now about 6yo.

I also have an Electrolux cannister that's almost 7yo (which is what I use most of the time downstairs on the hardwood floors).

I've been using my electrolux canister for 18 years now. I did have to bring it in for a tune up after dh vacuumed up the ashes and soot the firefighters dragged into our apartment after a small fire and I replaced the hose once. My mother had her elextrolux for over 30 years. I don't know if he newer models are as hard working as the older ones.

I killed the motor on my Meile with pet hair. It was very upsetting. I had a newish model, not the work horses of yore.

!

I have a pricey Miele that I've had a number of repairs on and won't buy this brand again. Mine doesn't handle human hair well either--gets wrapped around the power head and crushes down the little brushes so they don't grab the carpet like they should.

Kirby has been the best one I've ever used. After several years of replacing broken vacuum cleaners, I bought the Kirby. It's more than paid for itself and is the best ever -- 9 years and still going.

I agree. I've had my Kirby for over 16 years and it still works as good as it ever did new. It's gone through 4 dogs and 2 cats at one time and still goes through 2 dogs and 2 cats.

I killed my Oreck (after only a few years) and then bought a Dyson. I have had it for 5 years now and it is still going strong and it picks up everything. I have had it pick up a marble and one of those metal balls from a Magnetix set! I like that I can completely take apart all of the tubes and hoses and clean them out. I did have to replace some small plastic part for about $30 once I think.

The Oreck worked well as a floor vacuum but no attachments. I did like that I could remove the beater bar entirely to clean out the hair (which you can't do with a Dyson). For some reason I burt up belts all the time though. I loved the small canister vac that came with it and it broke my heart when it died. I have been trying to find a suitable replacement for a couple years now and have yet to do it.

I have never had any luck with a the average vacuum cleaners sold in stores.

I have a pricey Miele that I've had a number of repairs on and won't buy this brand again. Mine doesn't handle human hair well either--gets wrapped around the power head and crushes down the little brushes so they don't grab the carpet like they should.

I'm sure there are good ones, but my Miele was a piece of garbage. It was good for about 2 years. After that, it was one headache and repair after another. It makes me sick. My mother had Miele, but they are not the same machines they once were. I didn't think my new one was as good as my mother's old one.

Edited by LibraryLover

I *SERIOUSLY* considered central vac until I used my mom's. WASTE OF MONEY. What a serious scam. All that money and instead you could buy a Bissel and replace it every year or two and STILL have no payback for DECADES. The key is to make sure large items are picked up before cleaning or else it will kill the motor/beater brush.

I've tried Dyson (WASTE OF MONEY!!!)

Orek (WASTE OF MONEY)

other brands...

Bissel has been the best HANDS DOWN. I also love the attachments. Because they're so cheap, I don't mind replacing them yearly, but mine last at leat two. Thing is that with 3 dogs and 3 cats, not to mention the birds (HUGE dust producers) I replace them around 2 years.... and I openly admit that I don't clean filters like I should. Dyson is simply NOT worth it. I've tried them.

JMHO

I *SERIOUSLY* considered central vac until I used my mom's. WASTE OF MONEY. What a serious scam. All that money and instead you could buy a Bissel and replace it every year or two and STILL have no payback for DECADES. The key is to make sure large items are picked up before cleaning or else it will kill the motor/beater brush.

I've tried Dyson (WASTE OF MONEY!!!)

Orek (WASTE OF MONEY)

other brands...

Bissel has been the best HANDS DOWN. I also love the attachments. Because they're so cheap, I don't mind replacing them yearly, but mine last at leat two. Thing is that with 3 dogs and 3 cats, not to mention the birds (HUGE dust producers) I replace them around 2 years.... and I openly admit that I don't clean filters like I should. Dyson is simply NOT worth it. I've tried them.

JMHO

I've heard not good things on the Dyson as well. That thing is expensive. My brother has one and I was not impressed at all. Not for the money.

It'll come down to your dirt load. Obviously someone like my mom, who lives in a nice clean suburb with no traffic, lots of grass no kids, who cleans (I'm not sure why) can get by with something not so pricey. But me who has a huge dirt load of AZ dust and a bunch of animals the Kirby is the way to go. -

• 7 months later...
Guest Voiceofreason

I know some of you are happy with your Kirby, Dyson, etc...but I could show up with my Rainbow and show you the filth you are not picking up with your vacuum. Bags and filters have to be porous or they would fill up and explode. The pores become caked over and you lose airflow (which is what gives you cleaning abiltiy. It may look clean but sand and dirt has moved around and settled deep. Rainbow uses water as filter and you have great suction and airflow ALWAYS.

Expensive but Incredible machine that is also an air purifier. Look at reviews elsewhere and you'll find that people own their Rainbows for 20+ years with little or no maintenance, never have to buy bag or filter (add that up for just 10 years) and the cleanest air you can get indoors.

We used to go through a vaccum a year, various brands. The one we have now is a basic old fashioned model and it's lasted us about 4 years so far.

We really challenge it; we've got a fully carpeted house - with dogs, cats, and a big garden so it gets put through its paces regularly.

No wind tunnel, no cyclone, just a regular ole upright vacuum. I think the only fancy thing it has is a headlight.

Problem is, I have to go home and look at it to tell you what one we got...sorry! Will try to remember to check back in tonight.

I can only remember it's blue. Argh!

Well, that was quick. Found it; although one review claims it's not as good now that they've "updated" it in 2010. The one I have is from 2006 and it's really lasted. (and it's $70).

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Widepath-Upright-Vacuum-U5140-900/dp/B0009ONZ8G/ref=sr_1_35?s=vacuums&ie=UTF8&qid=1321985080&sr=1-35

Edited by bbkaren

Kirby has been the best one I've ever used. After several years of replacing broken vacuum cleaners, I bought the Kirby. It's more than paid for itself and is the best ever -- 9 years and still going.

:iagree:

My Kirby is also over 9 years old and going strong. (It has also taken my husband about nine years to get over the sticker shock of the Kirby:D )

We were buying one per year until we bought our Kirby. That said, it is so heavy, I want to keep it upstairs and buy another one specifically fOr the tile downstairs. We've had the Kirby for seven years so far. And FYI, they'll go as low as $800 before they (the sales people) leave your house in defeat. ETA: I had no dea you could get a used one cheap on eBay! I would have bought mine there.

Edited by extendedforecast

I know some of you are happy with your Kirby, Dyson, etc...but I could show up with my Rainbow and show you the filth you are not picking up with your vacuum. Bags and filters have to be porous or they would fill up and explode. The pores become caked over and you lose airflow (which is what gives you cleaning abiltiy. It may look clean but sand and dirt has moved around and settled deep. Rainbow uses water as filter and you have great suction and airflow ALWAYS.

Expensive but Incredible machine that is also an air purifier. Look at reviews elsewhere and you'll find that people own their Rainbows for 20+ years with little or no maintenance, never have to buy bag or filter (add that up for just 10 years) and the cleanest air you can get indoors.

How nice the Rainbow man showed up at our door!:lol: