Menu

Hakim History of Us and k12 teacher/student guides--does edition matter?

I'm getting the k12 teacher and student pages to go along with Joy Hakim's History of Us. Does it matter which edition of the Hakim books I use with which edition of the k12 materials? Our library has the Hakim books and I'm hoping to use those (looks like they have 1999 and 2003). I have ordered a set of the American History before 1865 k12 pages, printed in 2006.

With used curricula sales coming up, I wondered if I should be looking for a different edition of the Hakim books to purchase or if I could go with the library ones. I'm also going to be looking to get the k12 materials for US history since 1865 (I appear to have a choice of 2004, 2007 or 2008 on those).

Thanks!

Unfortunately, doesn't seem like anyone has any experience with them. Guess I'll have to see at least what the "before 1865" guide looks like when it gets here (hopefully this week). The "since 1865" k12 materials I'm seeing have dates of 2004, 2007 and 2008. My guess is that they are all likely to use the 2003 Hakim editions. I believe my "before 1865" guides are 2004, so it will likely use the 2003 Hakim.

I just looked at the two volumes I have in hand of the Hakim. I have the first volume from 1993 and the sourcebook from 1999. From what I've read, the differences between the 93 and 99 versions are primarily cosmetic. The 2003, edition, however, is supposed to have additional content (in part atlases and sections on cartography), including additional chapters in the final volume.

The American Odyssey is a high school text. I think K12 teaches American history for younger children (late elementary) using the Hakim books.

Yes, the student guides I'm using are for the Joy Hakim books. They are k12's 5th and 6th grade, while Human Odyssey is 7th and 8th grade. I'm just combining the two. Vol. 3 of the Human Odyssey seems to be the text for their high school modern world studies program.

From what I've heard (haven't checked it out myself), there aren't any hardcopy materials to go along with the American Odyssey. The text is used in their high school United States history and modern U.S. history. For AP US history, they use America: A Narrative History, Full 7th ed., by Tindall et al.

I'm not sure if there are any printed-and-bound student and teacher materials for *any* of the high school K12 courses. My daughter is taking two courses right now (Geography and World Cultures and Modern World History), and she prints her worksheets off the computer each day. We would surely have purchased printed worksheets if K12 had offered them.

(But the courses are still good enough so that we don't care about having to do our own printing!)

• 3 weeks later...