Menu

C.S. Lewis on Classical Education

‎"In those days a boy on the classical education side officially did almost nothing but classics. I think this was wise; the greatest service we can do to education today is to teach fewer subjects. No one has time to do more than a very few things well before he is twenty, and when we force a boy to be a mediocrity in a dozen subjects we destroy his standards, perhaps for life".

~C.S. Lewis in Surprised by Joy (autobiography of the first half of his life - includes his conversion story)

Memoria Press posted this on Facebook and I couldn't help but share it! That's also a great book. I love all his stuff.

‎"In those days a boy on the classical education side officially did almost nothing but classics. I think this was wise; the greatest service we can do to education today is to teach fewer subjects. No one has time to do more than a very few things well before he is twenty, and when we force a boy to be a mediocrity in a dozen subjects we destroy his standards, perhaps for life".

~C.S. Lewis in Surprised by Joy (autobiography of the first half of his life - includes his conversion story)

Memoria Press posted this on Facebook and I couldn't help but share it! That's also a great book. I love all his stuff.

There is another quote in that same book about how Lewis felt that he could never really learn math, but thankfully didn't have to. My DD was SO jealous!