Menu

Wheeler Nature Study?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing a Nature Study at Wheeler Wildlife Refuge. If we have interest for a small group, I'd be happy to organize it with the rangers there and spearhead the program. Just chime in with your interest, what you'd like to get out of something like this, and any other pertinent goodies you'd like to add.

I was thinking perhaps a four-week program that met once a week for an hour or two might be just the thing. I've got a friend who led Nature Studies who would be willing to help me put together materials for the kids, so we can gear it to their individual levels. (We have a rising 5th-grader, rising 3rd-grader, K-er, and two smaller siblings who are stuck going with us whether they want to or not. *grin*)

Any takers? :)

Dy

• 4 months later...

Hey! Just getting back to this thread...life gets hectic!! But, that would be fantastic, one of my mothers said there is an organization that gives $500 for studies related to wildflowers and native plants to your area..we could come up with a cool project for several families..I was thinking of doing this with our American Heritage Girls group in Madison....I'll try and find more information and get back to you!

Blessings,

Tara

Hey! Just getting back to this thread...life gets hectic!! But, that would be fantastic, one of my mothers said there is an organization that gives $500 for studies related to wildflowers and native plants to your area..we could come up with a cool project for several families..I was thinking of doing this with our American Heritage Girls group in Madison....I'll try and find more information and get back to you!

Blessings,

Tara

Sounds interesting. I'd love to hear more, before deciding (where does the money come from, for instance?)

Anyhow, nobody took us up on the offer, so we've just been going unofficially, meandering and filling our sketchbooks. We'll be doing a lot more of that, now that the weather has turned so absolutely spectacular! (I tend to think of summer as something to be endured - a price to pay for such a beautiful autumn, lol! Yes, I'm a wuss.)

However, we're always up for something new and interesting. Just keep me posted!

Dy

We'd love to meet y'all at Wheeler WR on Friday...how about a picnic lunch..we'll bring our sketch books and dogs... :)

Thanks!!

Tara

I have three different appointments on Friday, and a substitute teacher lined up (aka - Dad's off this Friday! LOL) It's just impossible to pass up an opportunity to run errands sans children, really.

This term, Wednesday afternoons are our Nature Study days, simply b/c the boys have piano in the early afternoon, then play rehearsal in the evening. Since we hadn't heard anything before, we just set our schedule so that we go into town and make a day of it.

Are you free on Wed? Or how about Friday the 10th? We don't have anything scheduled that day.