Menu

They said what? Good thing they're homeschooled!

zaichiki

And DD2, just barely two, told DH yesterday, "I 'pin, roun' KaKa (what she calls her sister), like dis. Okay!"

Translation, Mom?

"I'm spinning around DD7, like this! All right!!"

She was, apparently, both spinning and orbiting her sister, and very pleased with herself for doing it.

(She's the second of our children to talk understandably very early, and it gives us very funny insights into the two year old brain. I once heard DD7, when she was two, saying to herself something along the lines of, "Be very quiet. Mommy gets mad when I put marker on the wall.")

Edited by Maus
  • Like 2

:lol:

After an extremely fun Summer day at the pool yesterday DD 5.5 said before bed; "But I haven't done any school yet!".

Similar: I told DS(7) that I didn't have time to school him at our usual time, but would do school with him in the evening while we waited for his sister at gymnastics.

His response: "Well, as long as you're sure we'll get school done today I guess that's ok."

• Like 1

Well, my kids are too old to be so cute, but my niece at 7 months watched my brother walk away last summer & said, in a conversational tone (like her mother, I'm sure) "Wa dada?" (Where's Dada?") I thought it was priceless. Just a few weeks ago, at 13 months, my mother saw her in the airport on a layover & she was singing the words to Twinkle, Twinkle & trying to figure out how to do the hand motions.

Thanks for indulging me as I brag about my niece who lives too far away for me to see often.

• Like 1

We are working on the Cub Scouts Bear requirement about tall tales right now. I just asked DS9 to explain what a tall tale is. The expected answer, which he gave, is: a story that starts with a probably real person that gets exaggerated into something unbelievable. But then he added for his example, ” like gilgamesh!”

Edited by Maus
on phone, which doesn't always believe what I type
  • Like 2

I was searching for stuff for next year and dd (just after she turned 4) came over and goes "whatcha looking at" so i told her "microscopes". When we go out later in the day she tells the cashier:

"My mommy and daddy are going to buy me a microscope so I can look at tiny animals from our pond," she then proceeded to mispronounce amoeba.

• 2 weeks later...

We were at the play place in our mall today. My 7yo came over to me and said... "Mommy, I'm revolving around my left axes (his left foot) as I orbit the play place. It's making hide-n-seek much more interesting".

Later when a rather impetuous little girl insisted for the 15th time that he was not welcome to play in the boat because he was not a girl ds said, "Mommy, I think that girl has been conditioned to reject casual interactions on the bases of gender." It was a bit surprising coming from him as he's usually much more stealth in his verbal expressions.

The lady beside me gave me such a dirty look and felt it her duty to reply, "You've got a weird one there." :glare My dd 4 overheard and said (in the sweetest, most polite voice), "He's not weird mam, he's awesome." :lol: She turned quite red.

• Like 5

DD5 and I were having a conversation about whether the sky has a solid top, up there somewhere. After thinking through the fact that birds & planes fly through the sky, and rockets go up into space, we concluded that probably it does not. I decided to throw in a review lesson about the 3 states of matter -

me: give me an example of a solid?

Mo: a rock

me: a liquid?

Mo: water

me: a gas?

Mo: a fart

• Like 2

DS has a little Maglight flashlight that he plays with for a few minutes before bed. The 2nd night he after he got it, he put his index finger over it so that only a sliver of light was shining on the ceiling and declared, "My (I) make moon! Ta-da!"

He's been coming up with more and more reasons to delay going to bed. A few nights ago we had this conversation:

DS: Teeth dirty.

Me: Your teeth are clean. Daddy just brushed them.

DS: Eyes dirty.

Me: (Laughing) Your eyes are clean.

DS: No, dirty. Need bath. Wash eyes!

I am *loving* this thread. So many good ones.

Here's a favorite from my son. He was about 6 and had really been questioning Santa. One day he asked:

"Mom, when Santa dies, what happens? Do we elect a new one, like with the President? Or is the whole thing just over then?"

Good thing I hadn't been planning to keep the story going anyway... I don't know what I would have said to that one. Oh, and he logically debunked the Easter Bunny at age 4, so in retrospect, I was a little surprised it took that long for Santa. I can't keep up some days...

When dd8 has a day where there is quite a bit of writing for school, she's been known to drape a blanket over her head and shoulders to look like a monk's cowl. Then she asks me to refer to her as "Brother (her name)" and the dining room is now the scriptorium.

And I thought she didn't remember anything from when we studied the Middle Ages last year :D

• Like 1

The Sponge turned her crayon into MATH HERO, who can solve ANY problem!!!! She sang through her entire math set, and then invented the "lowest to highest" song-game where she orders her answers in song form, lol.

Then today, getting ready to go to her one-day-a-week charter school art day, she told The Drama that The Drama wouldn't want to go to that school because "you just sit down all day long! You get up for recess, or to walk to lunch...." (The Sponge HATES sitting. She spent a while yesterday evening & this morning insisting she wasn't going at all because she didn't want to sit all day.)

When dd8 has a day where there is quite a bit of writing for school, she's been known to drape a blanket over her head and shoulders to look like a monk's cowl. Then she asks me to refer to her as "Brother (her name)" and the dining room is now the scriptorium.

And I thought she didn't remember anything from when we studied the Middle Ages last year :D

:lol::lol: When my dd was about that age she had to dress the part for every game she played. She never played a monk, but was very creative at being things like a Union soldier, etc (I remember the Union soldier one the best because it has all the right feel to it, yet it was made out of socks, a (stuffed) tuque & regular clothes.

This example may not exactly fit this thread, but here goes:

Last October, my ds4 said to his preschool teacher, "Guess what? 'Boo' has two O's in it. Just like Hooters!"

In my defense, we drive by Hooters on the way to his school, and the sign is awfully eye-catching!

• Like 1

The Sponge, to strangers at the supermarket while waving a small wrapped package: "I'm going to take home a baby octopi and dissect it! I've never dissected an octopi before! My mom is buying it for me!" and also, "I'm going to put it in water and see if it's alive. Maybe it will be alive again if we put it in water. I have to try it to see!"" When we went by the deli section, she asked me to buy her one "for SCIENCE" so she could perform experiments on it.

• Like 1

Ds8 is very into puns right now. One of his weekly chores is to clean and straighten the shoe shelf by the front door. This morning as he was doing his chores he called me in very excitedly. He was standing a few feet back from the shoes arrayed across the floor, holding the duster like a rifle, and announced "Look, I'm at the shoeing range!" before falling over laughing at his own punniness.

• Like 2

Ds8 is very into puns right now. One of his weekly chores is to clean and straighten the shoe shelf by the front door. This morning as he was doing his chores he called me in very excitedly. He was standing a few feet back from the shoes arrayed across the floor, holding the duster like a rifle, and announced "Look, I'm at the shoeing range!" before falling over laughing at his own punniness.

:lol: dd laughing at her own clever sayings is often just as entertaining as whatever she said in the first place. She just really finds herself amusing.

Ds2.9 "Woe is me! I am troubled! Forsooth the country is rapidly running out of milk. The people are starving, and I am helpless to help them! What will become of my people?" *sniffs the air* "Ah ha! Something's cooking in the state of Denmark!"

Okay, so it's really Veggie Tales, not true Shakespeare, but I wanted to share anyway. He says this every time he has to wait for a food or drink, substituting the requested food/drink. Last night he continued saying the rest of the "Omlet" play all by him self. :001_rolleyes::D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We went and saw a performance that was set in ancient Babylon and my beloved sons (8 and 11) complained loudly on the way out that the costumes looked great but far more Roman than Babylonian. "Couldn't they have looked at some Babylonian art?" "Yeah, those helmets weren't very realistic."

• Like 2

DD not quite 6, striding into the research section of the museum "Do you have any Invertebrates I can look at?". Since it was a quiet day she scored her own private research assistant in the form of a junior staff member bored of fielding phone calls from members of the public wanting to donate spider specimens.

What a fun thread!

When ds was about 4 I was trying to get him to understand rhyming words. We were in the car and I wanted to say a word and have him say words that rhymed with it. He wasn't quite getting it so I said, "You know, like bed, red, head, bread..." and he said "Oh, yea! Like we bred the big goat with the little goat?" (we also live on a small farm :tongue_smilie:)

DH decided to shave off his beard this morning, so before he took a razor to it, he stood over the kitchen garbage and used hair clippers to cut it mostly off. DD2 watched him doing this (she's 26 months now.)

I asked her where Daddy's beard went, and she answered, "He brush it off in garbage."

(Ok, not so much a result of homeschooling, since she's only two, but early verbal skills and all that implies are certainly the major reason we are homeschooling.)

Edited by Maus

One day my ds 5 didn't want to do his school work.

Me: Education is the most important thing in the world.

Ds: No, actually food and water are the most important things in the world. Without food and water I'd die. If I was dead education wouldn't be important at all. :glare:

• Like 4

My daughter' date=' at 2 years old, looked up at me dreamily one afternoon and said out of the clear blue: " Mama, owls are so lucky because when they wake up their mornings are filled with stars."[/quote']

Beautiful! A little poet in the making? :001_smile:

One day my ds 5 didn't want to do his school work.

Me: Education is the most important thing in the world.

Ds: No, actually food and water are the most important things in the world. Without food and water I'd die. If I was dead education wouldn't be important at all. :glare:

:lol::lol::lol: He forgot about air;).

DS9 was working on the ”nts” sound with his speech teacher this week. She had a list of words he was to include in a sentence he made up.

He got to ”lance,” and I'm sure she was expecting something about a knight. He chose, ”I have a lot of boils I need to lance.” And then he launched into a long explanation about the bacteria that cause boils.

I couldn't help laughing at her reaction, and she commented, ”I really like talking to [ds9] because he always has something really interesting to say.”

Edited by Maus
to fix autocorrect,.thank you phone!

I was at the store today with my four-year-old (and the toddler). I was looking at fruit and deciding what kinds to buy. I commented to my four-year-old that we still had pears at home.

Her reply was, "The pears are decomposing."

:lol::lol::lol: They are a bit old, yes....

• Like 1

DH was in the kitchen making supper this evening when our poor old, blind came in even more cautiously than usual. He looked down to see something stuck to her side, and asked, †What is that on the cat?†I reached down to find it was a piece of paper tied on with string. As I pulled it off, I asked, â€Who decorated the cat?â€

DS9 had heard both questions and came in to answer, †It's not decorations; it's amulets to honor her!â€

:rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

DD7 was apparently the one who came up with the idea.

DH was in the kitchen making supper this evening when our poor old, blind came in even more cautiously than usual. He looked down to see something stuck to her side, and asked, †What is that on the cat?†I reached down to find it was a piece of paper tied on with string. As I pulled it off, I asked, â€Who decorated the cat?â€

DS9 had heard both questions and came in to answer, †It's not decorations; it's amulets to honor her!â€

That is so sweet...although I feel sorry for the honored feline :001_smile:

I'm amazed the cat put up with it! DD (then 6) did make amulets to bury with our dear departed Tigger when she returned to Bastet, though :).

When shopping at Target w/ my 2 yo ds we passed a display of hanging Chinese paper lanterns.

DS: Look Mommy, p(l)anets! There's Jupter.

Me: Oh, which one?

DS The Biiiig One. And Satern, Neptune, Urnus, earf, Mecry, and Mars.

Me: Where's Mars?

DS: The red one. (Duh, mom)

Teenager setting display up: Can he come with me to science class? :lol:

As we are leaving the area, cue the 2yo tantrum. No! NO!, I want to watch panets!

• Like 2

My 13 year old wants to build a Messerschmitt (a vintage minicar) that runs on his own waste. It has a drink dispenser in the dashboard and would have a toilet "unearth itself" from under the front seat when needed. He then started to describe how he thinks it might work.

He revealed this idea to me in the checkout line at the grocery store.

• Like 1

My 7 yr old asked her teacher what mode a particular piece of music was in. When the puzzled teacher asked where she'd heard about modes, DD replied "Oh, it's in Benward".

I had to explain to her puzzled teacher(who's conservatory days are about 40 years behind her at this point) that Bruce Benward has a series of music theory and listening texts that are used in the university where I was an adjunct until last semester, and I guess DD has gotten used to me referring to music theory and history books by the authors, not titles, because the titles are all so similar :). I didn't tell her that said book is often proceeded, in the mouths of my college students, by several rather colorful adjectives because it's NOT the easiest book to understand.

my 13 year old explained to the neighbor that programming apps for the iphone requires objective C instead of C. (nope, the neighbor didn't believe him)

the 3 year old goes with to Kohls and reads "30% off"? then says "That's not even a sale!" (yes her mom is frugal)

• Like 1

A child psychologist carefully explained to my daughter that she would not be expected to get every answer correct, and in fact, may not know the answer to many questions asked during the IQ test. My daughter agreeably assured her, "That's right because I'm just six years old, not omniscient."

• Like 1

A child psychologist carefully explained to my daughter that she would not be expected to get every answer correct, and in fact, may not know the answer to many questions asked during the IQ test. My daughter agreeably assured her, "That's right because I'm just six years old, not omniscient."

:lol: Love it! I used to keep a list of the funny things kids said to me when I was testing them. Unfortunately, my hard drive crashed and I lost the list. This would have definitely made my list! One I do remember:

Me: What does mimic mean?

Kid: What does mimic mean? (smiling)

• Like 2

A good one from my 5 year old this week:

After starting a new read aloud:

Dd: Can we read another chapter tonight?

Me: Sorry, honey, I'm afraid we don't have time tonight.

Dd: You know, I think things would work out better if you just held the book open so we could both sit next to each other and read quietly in our heads...just skipping along silently word to word in our heads will be so much faster so we could read more each time.

Totally cracked me up! Why read aloud when we can sit silently reading next to each other?

• Like 1

A good one from my 5 year old this week:

After starting a new read aloud:

Dd: Can we read another chapter tonight?

Me: Sorry, honey, I'm afraid we don't have time tonight.

Dd: You know, I think things would work out better if you just held the book open so we could both sit next to each other and read quietly in our heads...just skipping along silently word to word in our heads will be so much faster so we could read more each time.

Totally cracked me up! Why read aloud when we can sit silently reading next to each other?

Love it!