What's with the ads?

Photo

They said what? Good thing they're homeschooled!

874 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#101 GypsieFamily

GypsieFamily

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:53 PM

My then eight-year old son looked out the window and said happily, "I'm sure if there is precipitation today, it will be snow."

Or dd when she was 1 used to say to someone who pulled a leaf off a tree "Now how's that tree going to do photofinfisis?"
  • scrapbookbuzz, Desert Strawberry, Tammi K and 1 other like this

#102 Aurelia

Aurelia

Headmistress, Madame Aurelia's Finishing School

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5240 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:28 AM

DH recently bought a microphone and stand for his office. Ariel saw it and said "If I had that I would sing a song." When I asked her what song she would sing, she answered "The Love of My Broken Heart". I told her that sounded like a country song. She said it was and began to sing it. She made up the whole thing and even added a twang. I was pretty impressed.

We don't listen to country music. I have no idea where she came up with that. :confused:
  • scrapbookbuzz and Desert Strawberry like this

#103 Aurelia

Aurelia

Headmistress, Madame Aurelia's Finishing School

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5240 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 01:30 AM

My dd is telling everyone that she wants twins when she grows up so that she can name them Bucephalus and Alexander :001_huh:.

:lol: I hope they're both boys. Though I can see Desi Arnaz coming through the door and calling "Bucy, I'm home!"
  • scrapbookbuzz likes this

#104 LittleIzumi

LittleIzumi

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6279 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:22 AM

DH recently bought a microphone and stand for his office. Ariel saw it and said "If I had that I would sing a song." When I asked her what song she would sing, she answered "The Love of My Broken Heart". I told her that sounded like a country song. She said it was and began to sing it. She made up the whole thing and even added a twang. I was pretty impressed.

We don't listen to country music. I have no idea where she came up with that. :confused:

Fabulous!

#105 Storm Bay

Storm Bay

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8389 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

We were at a family occasion today and my FIL's sister approached my DD6 and said, "You probably don't remember me; I'm your daddy's aunt." DD6 responded, "Oh, that means you're my Grand-aunt."

A week or so ago, she came up to me out of the blue and asked, "Is the child of my first cousin once removed my second cousin?"

Okay, fess up, how many of you adults aren't sure if she got that right? (She did, assuming that she's the one who's further from the common ancestor; otherwise the child would be her first cousin twice removed.)

:lol::lol: Okay, I read your answer to be sure that you knew that your dd was correct. I can't tell you how many people call their first cousins once removed their second cousins and it is one of my pet peeves even though it's also something I let go since most people don't think it's that important :). We say great aunt, but I've gathered lately that some people say grand aunt which does fit with the whole grand parent thing, but isn't what people do where I grew up.

#106 HistoryMom

HistoryMom

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:03 PM

Both of these are from DD7 this week:

In a tattle-tale voice: "Mom, [brother]'s being diabolical again!"

Telling me a story in the car: "And it didn't just happen once; it happened thrice!"
  • Desert Strawberry, bluegirl777, MistiDelaney and 1 other like this

#107 LittleIzumi

LittleIzumi

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6279 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:03 AM

3-year-old, wearing underwear across her chest: Look! It's a bra, like Mommy!

5-year-old: Like algebra! Al-ge-BRA!
  • daijobu, MistiDelaney and Heliconia like this

#108 C_l_e_0..Q_c

C_l_e_0..Q_c

apicultrice émérite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

5-year-old: Like algebra! Al-ge-BRA!

LOL... sorry, this one really tickles my funny bone! Oh my!!!

#109 Beth in SW WA

Beth in SW WA

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4638 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:14 AM

Today at the pool....

Girl: Where do you go to school?
Dd8: I'm home schooled.
Girl: Cool. Do you like it?
Dd8: Oh, yes. I love it! I get to do fractions and 3-digit multiplication!

I smiled. :001_smile:

Edited by Beth in SW WA, 06 August 2011 - 12:15 AM.
Typo

• dollhouse, Desert Strawberry and MistiDelaney like this

#110 LittleIzumi

LittleIzumi

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6279 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:21 AM

Today at the pool....

Girl: Where do you go to school?
Dd8: I'm home schooled.
Girl: Cool. Do you like it?
Dd8: Oh, yes. I love it! I get to do fractions and 3-digit multiplication!

I smiled. :001_smile:

:lol: AWESOME.

We were at the university bookstore the other day, looking at the bargain bin textbooks. From behind me comes, "Mommy! It's a DNA book!!!!!" and my 3-year-old rushes up with a huge text on genetics. There was a split double helix on the front. :D
  • daijobu, IEF, MistiDelaney and 1 other like this

#111 Margaret in CO

Margaret in CO

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16316 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

When ds was six, he noticed a picture of a plane on the wall of the dentist's office and proceeded to tell the dentist the complete history of the Flying Tigers. The dentist stuck a note on the back and when they remodeled the office the NEW dentist called and told him that he could come pick it up. It has pride of place on the wall of his room now. Same ds--when he was 9, he announced that Churchill was his hero. When he was 10, his favorite book was a volume on Chartwell's (Churchill's estate) gardens. He got to see them this summer...
  • Heliconia likes this

#112 WarriorMama

WarriorMama

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:32 AM

Me: "It's so hot in here my brain's not working!"
DD6: "Y'know Mom...correlation is not causation."

:lol:
  • scrapbookbuzz, Ellyndria, dmmetler and 7 others like this

#113 chepyl

chepyl

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3039 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:42 AM

The other day DS asked me "Are there still nomads? You know, people who move around a lot." And daily he begs for SOTW!

#114 HistoryMom

HistoryMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:53 AM

Trying to tell me how big the iceberg was that sunk the Titanic:

"So, [gesturing at the dishwasher] pretend this is gi-NOR-mous, and this [her little hand] is the Titanic. That's how big it was underwater! Did you KNOW that??!?!?"
  • Desert Strawberry likes this

#115 LittleIzumi

LittleIzumi

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6279 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:58 PM

Tidbits from the 3-year-old today: "This is like stew, because it has juicy flavors!" (while just stirring dinner) and on why we don't eat grasshoppers, "We're not carnivores--we're omnivores, because we're people!"
  • Heliconia likes this

#116 Mrs. A

Mrs. A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

I have so many from DS (5), but I'll just share a few.

Recently he looked at the dog and informed me that she has "such a charming face." (the dog is a Rottweiler- charming wouldn't have been my first adjective of choice lol)

He ate something he really liked (I can't remember what it was now) but later he told me " it created a waterfall in my mouth, which tickled my tastebuds."

dd1 (3yo) jumped on DH the other day and shouted "Mommy, I sprung upon Daddy!"
  • MistiDelaney and Heliconia like this

#117 Grover

Grover

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1704 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

Mr nearl 5 is playing with marbles. I asked him to make sure they didn't hit the wall. Next round I hear a couple hit the wall then a very contrite DS came in:
"I'm sorry, mum, two hit the wall. I expected friction to slow them down a little more but I think I underestimated how much power I used. But I calculated correctly for the others, so those two must have been anomalous."
  • dirty ethel rackham, Ellyndria, persephone43 and 8 others like this

#118 LittleIzumi

LittleIzumi

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6279 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:44 PM

Mr nearl 5 is playing with marbles. I asked him to make sure they didn't hit the wall. Next round I hear a couple hit the wall then a very contrite DS came in:
"I'm sorry, mum, two hit the wall. I expected friction to slow them down a little more but I think I underestimated how much power I used. But I calculated correctly for the others, so those two must have been anomalous."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Brilliant.

Today dd was sliding off the recliner head-first verrrrrrry slooooooowly ("I'm pahoehoe lava!") and then very quickly and sharply ("I'm a'a!").
  • daijobu, Desert Strawberry and Heliconia like this

#119 Storm Bay

Storm Bay

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8389 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

Tidbits from the 3-year-old today: "This is like stew, because it has juicy flavors!" (while just stirring dinner) and on why we don't eat grasshoppers, "We're not carnivores--we're omnivores, because we're people!"

:lol::lol: Did you tell her that there are people in the world who do eat grasshoppers? A fun read is called It's Disgusting and we Ate It. We've even see a show that had people eating large tarantulas (ick!) and there are other insects people eat. Some foods are coloured with parts of insects, too, even in the US.

#120 dmmetler

dmmetler

Chasing snakes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13616 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:09 PM

DH-there's a box on the porch
DD6-OOH! I hope it's something fun like 5th grade math or 6th grade spelling!!!
  • daijobu, Desert Strawberry, EndOfOrdinary and 2 others like this

#121 LittleIzumi

LittleIzumi

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6279 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:43 PM

:lol::lol: Did you tell her that there are people in the world who do eat grasshoppers? A fun read is called It's Disgusting and we Ate It. We've even see a show that had people eating large tarantulas (ick!) and there are other insects people eat. Some foods are coloured with parts of insects, too, even in the US.

:lol::lol: I wonder if it would traumatize her to inform her I have eaten some.... The Sponge keeps trying to convince the bugs she isn't threatening so they will land on her finger, and the "not eating them" was part of her spiel to the bug. The Drama was commenting on that. I would not put it past The Drama to eat a bug on her own either, actually.... :tongue_smilie:

#122 radiobrain

radiobrain

Professional Thread Killer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:02 PM

I had to post this somewhere....

My under-achieving, low output, bare minimum newly minted 13 year old son said this to me in the car yesterday.

"Well, if you ever send me to boot camp...I will need to memorize a plethora of whithering retorts."

:confused: & :D
  • Ellyndria, daijobu, dollhouse and 3 others like this

#123 Storm Bay

Storm Bay

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8389 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:27 PM

My under-achieving, low output, bare minimum newly minted 13 year old son said this to me in the car yesterday.

"Well, if you ever send me to boot camp...I will need to memorize a plethora of whithering retorts."

:lol::lol::lol:

#124 nitascool

nitascool

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

My dd 4 told me today, "Mommy you are squelching my natural curiosity for numerals by not getting me my own math book." She has been asking for one for 3 months now.
  • bluegirl777, MistiDelaney and Heliconia like this

#125 Photo Ninja

Photo Ninja

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1340 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:47 PM

We were at the zoo on a tram tour and the guide was talking about the monkeys and asked if anyone knew what kind of tails they had. No one answered. Finally, my then 4 yo dd spoke up and answered prehensile, then explained what it meant, and added that opossums also have prehensile tails, as well as some other mammals. The tour guide was shocked and said that no one had ever answered that question before. My dd was shocked and asked (in all seriousness) how people could lack such basic knowledge about animals.

This was the same dd who, at 3 yo, was identifying the music playing in the background in the drug store. "Mommy, listen. They're playing Mr. Bach's music." (They were, and the people around us were quite surprised to hear dd identify it.) One person told her that she was precocious, and dd replied that she wasn't really, that she just liked music, and while she likes Bach and Beethoven's music, Vivaldi was her favorite.
  • Ellyndria, Sleep-Deprived, daijobu and 4 others like this

#126 Greenmama2

Greenmama2

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

#127 krisperry

krisperry

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:02 PM

Hayden is a very bright child who *sigh* will probably never love school and still lives in this "imaginary world" at age 10. Greyson was born rather witty and gravitates to the academic. Greyson is two years younger than his brother Hayden. This lunch conversation tickled me:

Hayden: (eating) I'm just weird and I love it
Greyson: (glancing up from his plate) You aren't really that weird
Hayden: What am I then?
Greyson: An animal
Hayden: Yeah, like a wild boar *roar*
Greyson: No, like really, you are an animal on the scientific chart
Hayden: (missing the point) I'm not scientific
Greyson: Parts of you are
Hayden: No way, I hate science. (long pause) Which parts?
Greyson: Molecules. You are made of molecules. That is scientific
Hayden: (shock and awe) You are weirder than me
Greyson: (in a serious, thoughtful tone) Maybe
  • Ellyndria, daijobu, dollhouse and 5 others like this

#128 SKL

SKL

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24753 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

I could list lots of stuff, but most of it isn't specifically the result of homeschooling. But one that comes to mind:

"Mom, I'm supposed to get homework too. Where is my homework?" (DD age 4 who is in day pre-K and HSing for KG. I bought some workbooks which we aren't really using much, but she feels like a second class citizen when her KG sister gets homework and she doesn't.)

ETA: OK, one more:

"r-e-d plus b-l-u-e equals purple."

Edited by SKL, 21 September 2011 - 10:51 PM.

• Tanikit and MistiDelaney like this

#129 songsparrow

songsparrow

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:08 PM

One person told her that she was precocious, and dd replied that she wasn't really, that she just liked music, and while she likes Bach and Beethoven's music, Vivaldi was her favorite.

:lol: Love it!

#130 MissKNG

MissKNG

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3781 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:50 AM

While working on SM recently, my big girl said "If you don't let me do more, I'll boycott math for the rest of the week!"

Last week, we were orally working in the Prufrock Primary Logic book and after two pages, she screamed (at the top of her lungs): "MOM! STOP! THIS.IS.BORING!!!!"
  • Desert Strawberry and Tanikit like this

#131 Storm Bay

Storm Bay

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8389 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

My dd 4 told me today, "Mommy you are squelching my natural curiosity for numerals by not getting me my own math book." She has been asking for one for 3 months now.

:lol: Time to get her that book, I think.
  • Desert Strawberry likes this

#132 Maus

Maus

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1276 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:47 AM

I'd forgotten this one, but we had another strange grammar conversation today that reminded me:

About a year and a half ago, I was driving along somewhere when DS (then still 7) pipes up from the back seat, "Mommy, did you know that 'verb' is a noun?"

He really shouldn't say stuff like that while I'm driving. When I have to think that fast, my driving suffers.:D

(We did conclude that 'verb' is indeed a noun, as are 'adjective,' 'adverb,' etc.)
  • Ellyndria, daijobu, Desert Strawberry and 3 others like this

#133 Beth in SW WA

Beth in SW WA

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4638 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:45 AM

That is adorable!

I love this thread. :)

:bigear:

#134 NittanyJen

NittanyJen

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2307 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:16 AM

To my 8YO this weekend: What are you going to be for Halloween?

DS8: Sodium.
  • Ellyndria, Desert Strawberry, Tanikit and 4 others like this

#135 dmmetler

dmmetler

Chasing snakes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13616 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:05 AM

So how's he going to manage that? Maybe something grey and shiny, with flames coming out of his head??

At very least, it's creative!

#136 Storm Bay

Storm Bay

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8389 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:23 AM

:iagree:

So how's he going to manage that? Maybe something grey and shiny, with flames coming out of his head??

At very least, it's creative!

If he's like my 13 yo, he'll come up with something himself! Not that she is a science buff, but she's very creative.

I'm glad this thread is still around.

#137 [email protected]

[email protected]

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1671 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

Dd6 " Mommy, did you know I have an acute sense of taste? I can taste horrible olives on my pizza even after you pick them off"
  • Tanikit likes this

#138 Greenmama2

Greenmama2

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

DD 5's exciting anecdote from the rare books section of the state library we visited on holidays;
"Did you know we got to look at an ancient Lepidoptera book and we had to wear white gloves to turn the pages?"
It was nice that the geekiness of our friends meant DD's zoological vocabulary got no more than a raised eyebrow and a smirk. The response would have been different with other folks we know.
  • Tanikit and Heliconia like this

#139 blondeviolin

blondeviolin

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4438 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:54 PM

My nearly-4yo during his speech evaluation while explaining his drawing: "That's an A. That's an E. Thats a bald eagle. He's not really bald...he just has white feathers on his head. This is my hand. This a turkey because Benjamin Franklin wanted a turkey to be America's bird. That's a little silly and it's a good thing out bird is the bald eagle because we eat turkeys on Thanksgiving and it would be a little ironic if we ate our bird."

The SLP just raised her eyes while I nearly fell out of my chair that he remembered that! It wouldn't have been odd for my oldest to remember something like that, but I didn't expect it from him!
  • Tanikit and Heliconia like this

#140 cottonmama

cottonmama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

Okay, this one isn't really precocious, just cute and math-related.

DD3: "I'm just writing some numbers. Nothing to worry about."
  • daijobu and Desert Strawberry like this

#141 Critterfixer

Critterfixer

Mr. Mom-Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9469 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

DS7 Ping-Pong referred to "not" in a sentence he was diagramming as a "ragged little modifier." He adapted this from hearing me refer to "the" as a "ragged little article."

#142 Kertie

Kertie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

So today I made a math station on the wall--numbers, operation signs, etc. on cards so the kids could create problems, do number order, whatever. As my 6 year old started out mapping out a ridiculously long problem, he asked, "Mom, why didn't you make any negative numbers?" After staring at him blankly, I recovered and told him to use the minus sign:D. Then he looked sheepish and said, "Oh, yeah--why'd I ask THAT question?" :lol:
  • MistiDelaney likes this

#143 C_l_e_0..Q_c

C_l_e_0..Q_c

apicultrice émérite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4401 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:39 PM

DD3: "I'm just writing some numbers. Nothing to worry about."

Hee hee. Very cute.

#144 desertmum

desertmum

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:08 AM

Not precocius but I thought it was cute what my 5yo said to avoid having his throat examined by the GP.

GP: Open you mouth.
DS( through clenched teeth): NO.
GP: I want to see if you have any germs in your throat.
DS: You can't see germs. They are too small. You need a micro...microscope.
GP: OK. I'll take a sample and put it under the microscope then.
DS (eyeing the tongue depressor): THAT is not a swab!

DS=1 - GP= Nil.

:tongue_smilie:
  • Ellyndria, Tanikit, EndOfOrdinary and 1 other like this

#145 lewelma

lewelma

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5732 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:45 AM

Neighbor: What kind of transformer is your favorite?
DS(5): What do you mean?
Neighbor: You know, a transformer is a robot that turns into an airplane or a truck or a car.
DS(5): No it's not. A transformer steps down voltage.
  • Ellyndria, Desert Strawberry, Tanikit and 6 others like this

#146 Greenmama2

Greenmama2

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:02 AM

Neighbor: You know, a transformer is a robot that turns into an airplane or a truck or a car.

#147 desertmum

desertmum

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 911 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:02 AM

Love it! :D

#148 LittleIzumi

LittleIzumi

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6279 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:12 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Beautiful.

#149 EthiopianFood

EthiopianFood

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2325 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:35 AM

Yesterday, dd3 was looking at the Magic Cabin catalog, and she noticed the Russian nesting dolls. She pointed them out to me and said, "Look, they have canopic jars!" :lol:

She then proceeded to ask where HER canopic jar was, swearing that she had one somewhere. I thought, oh honey, you don't want one of those!! :D
  • chelsmm likes this

#150 Grover

Grover

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1704 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:04 AM

that one's a keeper