Menu

They said what? Good thing they're homeschooled!

zaichiki

Is she posting these for you or for herself?

If they're for her I would actually be concerned about a developing eating disorder. Just seems a bit obsessive (eating disorders run in my family so I'm primed to watch for warning signs).

Thanks Maize.

She's posting them for her Dad, primarily. She was likely munching chocolate while doing it  ;)

But I get what you're saying and eating disorders are certainly on my radar already.

She has shown no obvious signs at this stage and doesn't mention weight, body shape, self-image etc.

But she is perfectionistic and struggles on and off with anxiety and OCD-ish stuff, so it's on my radar.

Thank you for your concern.

• Like 1

Argument in the car a couple of weeks ago:

L (7yo): A said O is an idiot!
A (newly 9yo): No I didn't!  You did!
L: No, you did!
A: No, You!
L: YOU!
A: You you you!
L: You you you you you!
A: You a thousand!
L: You a thousand billion!
A: You infinity!
L: You infinity times infinity!
A: You infinity factorial!
L: You infinity to the infinity-ith power!
A: [long silence]
L: HA!

• Like 8

My 4yo came up to me with his glass of water a couple days ago and said, "I would like a little solid in my liquid please."

I was so surprised I just stood there until he said, "Ice, Mum. I would like ice." (and looked at me like I was clueless!)

• Like 15

Because of my insecurity and desire for a little structure in our lives, my twins have been doggedly working through WWS.  And since they have worked so hard, I gave them a break  and let them do unjournaling prompts all week.  My ds was thrilled and 15 minutes later sent me this.  The prompt was to tell a fake news story (appropriate, eh?) as believably as possible. 

It has recently been found that eating ice cream during a lightning storm increases your appetite for cold food. Consuming large quantities can, over time, cause you to be unable to eat any food over 32 degrees Fahrenheit. This bizarre symptom was first contracted by Harold Churchill, the owner of Churchill’s Chills, one of the largest ice cream producing companies in the nation.

“It’s shocking. I am simply unable to eat warm foods.†Churchill says. “It’s a real shame, too-- grilled cheeseburgers were one of my favorite foods. This unfortunate happenstance makes it almost impossible to go out to dinner with my family.â€

The cause was isolated by Rodney Garland in 2010, when one of the most severe lightning storms seen in years hit Frankfort, Kentucky. Thanks to him, we can now be safe from this life-ruining syndrome. Make sure to warn your family and friends about the dangers of ice cream, and have a safe and warm-food day.

Edited by SanDiegoMom in VA
  • Like 10

Because of my insecurity and desire for a little structure in our lives, my twins have been doggedly working through WWS.  And since they have worked so hard, I gave them a break  and let them do unjournaling prompts all week.  My ds was thrilled and 15 minutes later sent me this.  The prompt was to tell a fake news story (appropriate, eh?) as believably as possible. 

It has recently been found that eating ice cream during a lightning storm increases your appetite for cold food. 

This sounds like something I would hear on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me.

• Like 2

I was telling the story of Adam and Eve to my children. My dd (5 at the time) asks for paper to draw as Im telling the story, when I finished she said, "Look I drew a picture book about the story while you were reading. Ill call it, 'Gods First Creation Satans First Corruption'

• Like 5

My DS 5 said "Mommy did you know that 3 '4s' is 12?" I asked him how he knew that as we have never shown or explained multiplication to him. He said "I was just looking out the window and noticed that it has 3 rows of 4 squares in each row and thats 12 so 3 rows of '4s' is 12." He also told me 2 '2s' were 4 so 4 '2s' were 8 and so 5 '2s' were 10 20 '1s' were 20 and now Im considering looking for more than kindergarten maths for him. He learned to add 3 and 4 digit numbers at around 4. I got earlybird k math for him but he's not challenged.

• Like 6

So I pulled my kids to the couch to read to them this afternoon (fun book, I'll just point out):

7 yo: Ok, but while you read to us, can I do something fun?
Me: Like what?
7 yo: Like look over the problems in my math book (BA 3A) and see which ones I got wrong?
Me: .... .... ..... Yes. You can do that.

• Like 9

Me: channeling Mr Miyagi (or Yoda if you prefer), " Either you do this or you don't. There is no try".

DD: with a long suffering look, "Mom, very few choices in life are binary. This is not one of them".

Me: :blink:

Edited by Ebunny
  • Like 13

Not a homeschooled kid or a "gifted" kid, but a ten-year-old with above-average planning talents:  "OK, I might agree to have ONE kid, if YOU promise to pay for their college."  She went on with additional details - "I'll feed them and drive them around to their activities and ___ ... but you have to help them with their math homework."

[The topic of her procreating comes up when she's being a pill and I say, e.g., "I'm going to take a picture of that face and show it to your children when they are your age."  She usually says, "For the ten million and 13th time, I am NOT having children."  So the above was a significant concession, LOL.]

Edited by SKL
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

"Grandmother had a beautifully wrapped present in her arms. It had pretty roses and butterflies that were pink painted on the sides, with a rainbow on top. Red, yellow, ad green were all on the bottom. Stella could hear something inside! The present was sixteen inches tall and one more inch than that wide."

When you've been learning about descriptive writing, but you've also been doing word problems in math...

• Like 10

DD12 stayed a bit late after her CC class-so she could help a classmate who was struggling with how to help her 14 yr old daughter with her algebra homework and needed someone to explain graphing parabolas and hyperbolas :).

I wasn't homeschooled but when I was growing up my mom was program coordinator in a CC nursing department and I helped several of her students through the algebra requirement, starting when I was 13. In hindsight the most remarkable thing about that situation was the women's graciousness about getting help from someone that age, but they were admirably willing to do whatever it took to meet their goals.

• Like 3

I wasn't homeschooled but when I was growing up my mom was program coordinator in a CC nursing department and I helped several of her students through the algebra requirement, starting when I was 13. In hindsight the most remarkable thing about that situation was the women's graciousness about getting help from someone that age, but they were admirably willing to do whatever it took to meet their goals.

That's been something I really like about the CC-DD is getting some awesome modeling of people who are willing to work hard and do something hard fpr them to achieve their goals, without pretense or pause.

• Like 4

That's been something I really like about the CC-DD is getting some awesome modeling of people who are willing to work hard and do something hard fpr them to achieve their goals, without pretense or pause.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't quite fit here, but is sounded so cute - sometimes Broccoli is such a little kid still:

He was just doing Khan Academy and started talking about the Conipercus (co-NI-per-cus) badge. And after he was done he went upstairs and mentioned the Corepincus (CORE-pin-cus) badge to Celery.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've been working our way through the Great Courses Mozart course.

There was reference to Mozart's love of wordplay, puns and toilet humour.

A sample of a poem written by Mozart was included, which did indeed include some *ahem* toilet humour.

My daughter (11): I guess he was writing some poo-etry    :laugh:

• Like 13

• 1 month later...

"You know what I don't like about documentaries? They're always explaining stuff that doesn't need to be explained, like they just talk to make the documentary last longer. I mean, if you're interested in black holes, you already *know* what an event horizon is!"

• Like 7

Me: Okay, you can have PC time before morning time, as long as you're sure you'll be cooperative when it's time to get started.

DS: I solemnly swear that were it in my power, I would engage you in an unbreakable oath.

Edited by Pegs
  • Like 10

Ha ha. This just popped up in my facebook feed from a few years ago. DS8 had *just* turned five and was doing a short reading lesson.  The sentence in his book was

"Lox the fox was hungry." He sat there staring at it for almost a minute while I did my best to just wait patiently before I suggested he just start *trying* to sound things out. At which point he looked at me and said "Luchs der Fuchs war hungrig." And then he smiled at me.

• Like 8

Celery is starting to read the books I check out for myself from the library. Currently he's reading "How to fake a moon landing". I mentioned that to DW, about how it's a book about how to not believe fake science, and DW is like "so, he's learning that the moon landing was fake?", and Broccoli says "duh, of course the moon hasn't landed [on earth]!". 

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the book is supposed to be about why not to believe conspiracy theories, i.e. yes, the moon landing was real. But, er, no, the moon did not land on earth. 

• Like 4

DS4 (FaceTimeing with Daddy): "We had to separate Lily & Tiger. They were trying to make babies. Then their babies would make babies. Then those babies would make MORE babies! And MORE babies! We might run out of MILK!!"

Yep, that's it, kiddo. Running out of milk is definitely the problem 🤣

P.S. Lily & Tiger (6mo kittens) are now both getting fixed this weekend...

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

When obsession with an online virtual pet site and obsession with real-world biology meet....

DD

"My research on Neopian reptile phylogenetics just turned on it's ear-I just found an ancestral snake-dragon in the gallery of evil. Of course, the only sample is a 600x600 pixel headshot, so I'm not sure there's enough remaining data to do enough snips...."

I'm not sure how exactly she's genetic sequencing website Cartoon characters, and I'm not sure I want to know...

• Like 7

DD is preparing her lots for the state herpetology conference scholarship auction. She created this to go with a pair of stuffed frog "graduate students" (She's giving her first poster session at this conference. I think she enjoys making posters)

21768383_10212717613649556_8857315915411

😂🤣😂🤣 That is hilarious.

• Like 3

DD is preparing her lots for the state herpetology conference scholarship auction. She created this to go with a pair of stuffed frog "graduate students" (She's giving her first poster session at this conference. I think she enjoys making posters)

21768383_10212717613649556_8857315915411

That reminds me of the very large sign that greets you as you walk into a nearby very good Indian restaurant.   It is the menu and up on top in really big letters is

"lorem ipsum"

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

When storms are approaching, we keep an eye on the online weather radar, which indicates the severity of the storm in patches of colour. 

Black indicates the most severe. Red and orange are pretty severe and so on through to a lightish blue, which really is just rain.

Anyhoo, yesterday a storm was approaching and we were monitoring the radar, wondering whether to round up the chookies and get them to safety. We can get some nasty hail storms here.

I asked my daughter (11) to check what colour was heading directly to our spot on the map. Is it red? Is it orange? 

"Mum, it's vermillion".

• Like 8

I had to look up "chookies."  I thought it was some kind of pet or animal.  

"Here chookie chookie chookie!"  

Here in Australia it is common to use the word 'chook' for chicken.

It can be used for the living animals, as in 'save those kitchen scraps for the chooks'.

It's also used in relation to the food - 'I'll pick up a barbeque chook from the shops'. 

(Note: I don't eat meat. Our chookies are pets. And I'd cover my chookies' earflaps before saying anything like that out loud in their company :) )

Our chickens are beloved and spoilt pets. We call them our chookies. 

• Like 4

Maybe they thought she couldn't spell?

I had for a while a picture book that I think was originally published in Australia, with "chooks" and a "moggy". The Amazon reviews contained one Very Annoyed Person complaining that books for small children shouldn't be teaching them "made-up nonsense words".

• Like 3