What's with the ads?

Photo

They said what? Good thing they're homeschooled!

874 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#851 Ebunny

Ebunny

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

Because she has it backward. Bacteria is plural; bacterium is singular.

Shhh...I'm waiting for her to get it. LOL
  • quark and maize like this

#852 Ebunny

Ebunny

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

Dp

Edited by Ebunny, 17 March 2017 - 09:52 AM.

#853 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16479 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:57 AM

I was just sneaking some chocolate (Cadbury DairyMilk Peppermint, oh yum).

There was a sticky note on it, saying 'High in saturated fat'. Hmmm.

I noticed the salt shaker. A sticky note on it says 'think twice'.

The container of cashew nuts? "Only have 30g."

Who knows what else I'll find.

ETA: On the muesli:Contains palm oil!!
ETA #2: The falafel mix says: Too much sodium!

Just realised they are colour-coded too. She's done a traffic-light system. The red ones are bad, bad, bad...she better not have put anything on my coffee. That would be crossing a line. :001_smile:

Is she posting these for you or for herself?

If they're for her I would actually be concerned about a developing eating disorder. Just seems a bit obsessive (eating disorders run in my family so I'm primed to watch for warning signs).
  • Tanaqui and chocolate-chip chooky like this

#854 purpleowl

purpleowl

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:55 AM

Shhh...I'm waiting for her to get it. LOL

Oh! Lol - I misunderstood and thought you were agreeing with her that it was true but strange. Sorry!
  • Ebunny likes this

#855 Ebunny

Ebunny

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:41 PM

I had a mommy brain fart today. I bickered with DD where I insisted, quite vehemently might I add, that Ladakh(a tourist destination) is in Nepal. It's actually a part of India at the northernmost tip. *blush*.
  • quark likes this

#856 Ebunny

Ebunny

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

Oh! Lol - I misunderstood and thought you were agreeing with her that it was true but strange. Sorry!

No worries. I forgot to add an eye roll in that post. I'll go fix it now.

#857 chocolate-chip chooky

chocolate-chip chooky

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

Is she posting these for you or for herself?

If they're for her I would actually be concerned about a developing eating disorder. Just seems a bit obsessive (eating disorders run in my family so I'm primed to watch for warning signs).

Thanks Maize.

She's posting them for her Dad, primarily. She was likely munching chocolate while doing it  ;)

But I get what you're saying and eating disorders are certainly on my radar already.

She has shown no obvious signs at this stage and doesn't mention weight, body shape, self-image etc.

But she is perfectionistic and struggles on and off with anxiety and OCD-ish stuff, so it's on my radar.

Thank you for your concern.

• maize likes this

#858 Lace

Lace

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:42 PM

Argument in the car a couple of weeks ago:

L (7yo): A said O is an idiot!
A (newly 9yo): No I didn't!  You did!
L: No, you did!
A: No, You!
L: YOU!
A: You you you!
L: You you you you you!
A: You a thousand!
L: You a thousand billion!
A: You infinity!
L: You infinity times infinity!
A: You infinity factorial!
L: You infinity to the infinity-ith power!
A: [long silence]
L: HA!

• nansk, dmmetler, daijobu and 4 others like this

#859 Eagle

Eagle

Learning as I go

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2276 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:12 PM

My 4yo came up to me with his glass of water a couple days ago and said, "I would like a little solid in my liquid please."

I was so surprised I just stood there until he said, "Ice, Mum. I would like ice." (and looked at me like I was clueless!)
  • Twigs, nansk, dmmetler and 9 others like this

#860 chocolate-chip chooky

chocolate-chip chooky

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:13 AM

10yr old:

Do you know Mr M. U. Shroom?

He's a fun guy.

• dmmetler, daijobu, quark and 2 others like this

#861 SanDiegoMom in VA

SanDiegoMom in VA

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:24 PM

Because of my insecurity and desire for a little structure in our lives, my twins have been doggedly working through WWS.  And since they have worked so hard, I gave them a break  and let them do unjournaling prompts all week.  My ds was thrilled and 15 minutes later sent me this.  The prompt was to tell a fake news story (appropriate, eh?) as believably as possible. 

It has recently been found that eating ice cream during a lightning storm increases your appetite for cold food. Consuming large quantities can, over time, cause you to be unable to eat any food over 32 degrees Fahrenheit. This bizarre symptom was first contracted by Harold Churchill, the owner of Churchill’s Chills, one of the largest ice cream producing companies in the nation.

“It’s shocking. I am simply unable to eat warm foods.” Churchill says. “It’s a real shame, too-- grilled cheeseburgers were one of my favorite foods. This unfortunate happenstance makes it almost impossible to go out to dinner with my family.”

The cause was isolated by Rodney Garland in 2010, when one of the most severe lightning storms seen in years hit Frankfort, Kentucky. Thanks to him, we can now be safe from this life-ruining syndrome. Make sure to warn your family and friends about the dangers of ice cream, and have a safe and warm-food day.

Edited by SanDiegoMom in VA, 22 March 2017 - 06:25 PM.

• Renai, dmmetler, daijobu and 5 others like this

#862 daijobu

daijobu

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1927 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

Because of my insecurity and desire for a little structure in our lives, my twins have been doggedly working through WWS.  And since they have worked so hard, I gave them a break  and let them do unjournaling prompts all week.  My ds was thrilled and 15 minutes later sent me this.  The prompt was to tell a fake news story (appropriate, eh?) as believably as possible. 

It has recently been found that eating ice cream during a lightning storm increases your appetite for cold food. 

This sounds like something I would hear on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me.

• SanDiegoMom in VA likes this

#863 La Condessa

La Condessa

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

My dd6, when wheedling to be allowed to eat the sugar snap peas we had just purchased on the drive home from the grocery store:

"Please, peas please! I need peas to appease my hungry tummy!"

• dmmetler, elroisees, Black-eyed Suzan and 2 others like this

#864 Black-eyed Suzan

Black-eyed Suzan

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:15 PM

My 7 year old caught a Spinal Tap reference in Beast Academy 3A.

• elroisees, chocolate-chip chooky and winterbaby like this

#865 5hskids

5hskids

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:00 AM

I was telling the story of Adam and Eve to my children. My dd (5 at the time) asks for paper to draw as Im telling the story, when I finished she said, "Look I drew a picture book about the story while you were reading. Ill call it, 'Gods First Creation Satans First Corruption'
  • Renai, dmmetler, Ebunny and 1 other like this

#866 5hskids

5hskids

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:58 AM

My DS 5 said "Mommy did you know that 3 '4s' is 12?" I asked him how he knew that as we have never shown or explained multiplication to him. He said "I was just looking out the window and noticed that it has 3 rows of 4 squares in each row and thats 12 so 3 rows of '4s' is 12." He also told me 2 '2s' were 4 so 4 '2s' were 8 and so 5 '2s' were 10 20 '1s' were 20 and now Im considering looking for more than kindergarten maths for him. He learned to add 3 and 4 digit numbers at around 4. I got earlybird k math for him but he's not challenged.
  • Renai, dmmetler, Ebunny and 2 others like this

#867 purpleowl

purpleowl

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

DD#2 drew a picture of a unicorn, whom she named Grace. On the back of the paper, she included this warning (spoilered for size):

Spoiler

Because, you know, five-year-olds are so frequently the victims of copyright/trademark infringement.

• Renai, Twigs, La Condessa and 8 others like this

#868 deanna1ynne

deanna1ynne

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

So I pulled my kids to the couch to read to them this afternoon (fun book, I'll just point out):

7 yo: Ok, but while you read to us, can I do something fun?
Me: Like what?
7 yo: Like look over the problems in my math book (BA 3A) and see which ones I got wrong?
Me: .... .... ..... Yes. You can do that.

• Twigs, dmmetler, elroisees and 4 others like this

#869 dmmetler

dmmetler

Chasing snakes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13602 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

DD12 stayed a bit late after her CC class-so she could help a classmate who was struggling with how to help her 14 yr old daughter with her algebra homework and needed someone to explain graphing parabolas and hyperbolas :).
  • Angie in VA, Twigs, Ebunny and 6 others like this

#870 Ebunny

Ebunny

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:00 AM

Me: channeling Mr Miyagi (or Yoda if you prefer), " Either you do this or you don't. There is no try".

DD: with a long suffering look, "Mom, very few choices in life are binary. This is not one of them".

Me: :blink:

Edited by Ebunny, 31 March 2017 - 02:04 AM.

• Angie in VA, Twigs, dmmetler and 7 others like this

#871 SKL

SKL

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24736 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

Not a homeschooled kid or a "gifted" kid, but a ten-year-old with above-average planning talents:  "OK, I might agree to have ONE kid, if YOU promise to pay for their college."  She went on with additional details - "I'll feed them and drive them around to their activities and ___ ... but you have to help them with their math homework."

[The topic of her procreating comes up when she's being a pill and I say, e.g., "I'm going to take a picture of that face and show it to your children when they are your age."  She usually says, "For the ten million and 13th time, I am NOT having children."  So the above was a significant concession, LOL.]

Edited by SKL, 01 April 2017 - 06:44 PM.

• dmmetler, elroisees, bakpak and 1 other like this

#872 purpleowl

purpleowl

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:12 AM

"Grandmother had a beautifully wrapped present in her arms. It had pretty roses and butterflies that were pink painted on the sides, with a rainbow on top. Red, yellow, ad green were all on the bottom. Stella could hear something inside! The present was sixteen inches tall and one more inch than that wide."

When you've been learning about descriptive writing, but you've also been doing word problems in math...

• Twigs, dmmetler, elroisees and 4 others like this

#873 winterbaby

winterbaby

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:51 AM

DD12 stayed a bit late after her CC class-so she could help a classmate who was struggling with how to help her 14 yr old daughter with her algebra homework and needed someone to explain graphing parabolas and hyperbolas :).

I wasn't homeschooled but when I was growing up my mom was program coordinator in a CC nursing department and I helped several of her students through the algebra requirement, starting when I was 13. In hindsight the most remarkable thing about that situation was the women's graciousness about getting help from someone that age, but they were admirably willing to do whatever it took to meet their goals.

• dmmetler and bakpak like this

#874 dmmetler

dmmetler

Chasing snakes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13602 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:34 AM

I wasn't homeschooled but when I was growing up my mom was program coordinator in a CC nursing department and I helped several of her students through the algebra requirement, starting when I was 13. In hindsight the most remarkable thing about that situation was the women's graciousness about getting help from someone that age, but they were admirably willing to do whatever it took to meet their goals.

That's been something I really like about the CC-DD is getting some awesome modeling of people who are willing to work hard and do something hard fpr them to achieve their goals, without pretense or pause.
  • bakpak, shawthorne44 and winterbaby like this

#875 dmmetler

dmmetler

Chasing snakes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13602 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:38 AM

That's been something I really like about the CC-DD is getting some awesome modeling of people who are willing to work hard and do something hard fpr them to achieve their goals, without pretense or pause.