Menu

They said what? Good thing they're homeschooled!

zaichiki

Post something your kids say that can only come from an enriching (homeschool :tongue_smilie:) environment. Feel free to post something others may interpret as bragging and act offended. :D

Here's ours--

Tonight at dinner...

5 yr old: I’m making more bacteria. Look! S-s-s-p-l-i-i-i-t! (over and over again as he splits each bunch of broccoli into many smaller strands)

Now I’m a white blood cell eating bacteria!

Mom, the white blood cell is doing a fine job!

Meanwhile older brother is practicing his cello in the hallway. Older brother and sister are arguing about whose edition of the Bach Suites in G is closer to the original (including whether or not a grace note should be in a certain place). Sister comes running to parents with her sheet music and says something, to which older brother announces from the other room: “That’s a fallacy!”

5 year old: It’s a red herring!

Edited by zaichiki
  • Like 21

Funny!

Once my little one was licking the salt shaker (yuck!) and my then-5 yo tattled, "Moommm, Sarah is licking the sodium chloride again!"

I also get a kick out of my kids knowing the answers on game shows. That always impresses the grandparents.

• Like 5

Yesterday, we were walking into a store and here was the conversation:

DS: MaMa, we have a symbiotic relationship.

Mama: Really? How so?

DS: I give you lots of love :D and you let me play games on your iPhone.

Mama: Would that be a another way of asking me for my iPhone?

DS: Yes, ma'am!!!

Just another day in the life of a homeschooled child!

• Like 8

My son told me that he liked school because he enjoyed learning. He said this with a big grin on his face. I had fun with him because he has been known to whine at times. I asked him to repeat it and then I asked his brother what he said. His brother told me "I'm not going to say that!" :lol:

My DD has become quite proud of her reading skills. We were in a mcdonalds playplace last week, and she came and informed me that someone wrote "f___ you" inside the play structure. She said the actual word, too, and was concerned because it wasn't very nice to do that.

• Like 9

Today we were driving to the playground to meet some friends, and we noticed the beautiful daffodils all over the place. I asked the (lower elementary) kids, "So do you guys know what spring means?"

"Yes! It's time to sing Vivaldi! . . . 'It's spring, time to sing Vivaldi!'" (from the Beethoven's Wig CD series)

And a few weeks ago, discussing Ashurbanipal and his problems with the Babylonians . . . (my 5yo) "Mom! He should have just called up the Minute Men! They can be ready in a minute's notice! PLUS THEY HAVE GUNS!" (as opposed to only spears, LOL)

• Like 9

We were buying birthday presents today (at the bookstore), and ds (6) wanted to buy paperback copies of History: The Definitive Visual Guide for his friends. (We finally went with a paper airplane book + kit.)

Ahh, yeah... reminds me of DS wanting me to read a book on erosion for "Mommy and Me" storytime.

Also this one: "Mama, when I bite my breadstick, my teeth push the air molecules against it and puff it up!"

• Like 2

Ds7 and one of his friends at the friend's 7th bday party:

Ds - I got SiO2 on my cupcake! Now I can't eat it!

Friend - Yeah, the crystalline structure makes it have sharp edges so it's not good for your insides.

Ds - Well, at least the ants will get lots of C6H12O6. (As he goes to get another cupcake.)

Can you tell we've been doing chemistry this year? :tongue_smilie:

• Like 5

My DD has become quite proud of her reading skills. We were in a mcdonalds playplace last week, and she came and informed me that someone wrote "f___ you" inside the play structure. She said the actual word, too, and was concerned because it wasn't very nice to do that.

Reminds me of last weekend when DD6 yelled, "Holy Sh*#" while coloring. She didn't know where she'd heard it from. Later I saw that she had drawn Tinkerbell to be anatomically correct as she started singing, "I like 'booKs'". She's quite a character sometimes.

• Like 3

When my son was almost 2.5 years old he got hold of 3 pennies and was so proud of having his pocket "Money". He was sitting in the middle of the living room and counting them in French: un, deux,trois ( I didn't know he could count in french; usually he would not speak unless it was something he wanted to discuss). Anyway, my crawling baby daughter decided to investigate her brother's activity and got closer. She saw his shiny coins and snapped them withing few seconds. My son was so astonished by her behavior, took his coins back and wanted to be sure she didn't keep any, counted them again in French. First I thought it was a coincidence for him to count in French but I realized he knew what he had been doing and how many coins he had had at the beginning.

P.S. My son's coins collection is much bigger but his little sister still trying to downsize it every time she has a chance:)

• Like 3

My dc are old enough now that I tend to forget the things they did when they were younger that were along these lines; I certainly can't remember them on cue. However, last year one of my dd's made logic jokes to the point of becoming annoying (she was 14 and enjoyed being annoying--she even said so at times.)

Meanwhile older brother is practicing his cello in the hallway. Older brother and sister are arguing about whose edition of the Bach Suites in G is closer to the original (including whether or not a grace note should be in a certain place). Sister comes running to parents with her sheet music and says something, to which older brother announces from the other room: “That’s a fallacy!”

5 year old: It’s a red herring!

:lol::lol::lol: Now it's time for your dc to learn the term urtext. At first I defined it, but there's a good vocabulary word for your budding musicians;).

My five-year-old: "It's high time I started acting like other children, and calling my bedroom the nursery!" :lol:

Yeah. That was when I stopped the classic British children's books and got some books written in the last twenty years, instead.

• Like 15

My five-year-old: "It's high time I started acting like other children, and calling my bedroom the nursery!" :lol:

Yeah. That was when I stopped the classic British children's books and got some books written in the last twenty years, instead.

I did the same thing after my eldest used "needs must" in casual conversation. :tongue_smilie:
  • Like 2

Sorry, I had to post again! My DS9:

"I sure wish my ego were smaller, then I wouldn't want so many toys."

OK, ONE more....

"Mom, I had SO much fun shopping at Goodwill all day with you and gramma, and I'm not being sarcastic!"

• Like 6

I did the same thing after my eldest used "needs must" in casual conversation. :tongue_smilie:

Not terribly intellectual, but my eldest had a short phase where she literally screamed "eeek" when things happened because she'd read it. Sadly, I seem to have forgotten all the gems they used to come up with. I was very sleep deprived through much of it due to my middle one having sleep problems (turns out corn syrup and a few other things trigger yelling and crying in her sleep on an off fo hours), etc.

• Like 2

Not terribly intellectual, but my eldest had a short phase where she literally screamed "eeek" when things happened because she'd read it. Sadly, I seem to have forgotten all the gems they used to come up with. I was very sleep deprived through much of it due to my middle one having sleep problems (turns out corn syrup and a few other things trigger yelling and crying in her sleep on an off fo hours), etc.

Glad you got that figured out. Is it a corn allergy in general? Elimination of corn is harder even than soy.

Mine both went through phases of saying, "She said," "She exclaimed," "She interrupted," etc. while playing, but I think that's fairly common.

• Like 2

Glad you got that figured out. Is it a corn allergy in general? Elimination of corn is harder even than soy.

I'm not sure if it's an allegery or a sensitivity such as an IgG, since I've never had her tested. I didnt even think of food as a cause, because I thought she had night terrors until she was still having them at 4. One day I just made the connection between corn and the yelling/screaming in her sleep. I do let her have corn in the morning sometimes and have for a few years.

My youngest ds dows not always get along with his bossy older sister or other bossy girls. The other night I heard him complaining to his dad:

"Why didn't God make woman out of part of Adam's brain instead of his rib? At least then girls would be smart!" :001_huh:

LOL!!!!

Faithe

• Like 4

While in the car this weekend, DH and the kids came upon an older gentleman crossing the street and had the following exchange.

DH: No, running over old people.

DD: How ironic!

DD has understood irony and sarcasm from an early age.

DS9 likes to use his vocabulary words from Caesar's English and Excellence in Writing in every day conversations. A couple of his favorites are indignant, incredulous, and perplexed.

• Like 2

We were buying birthday presents today (at the bookstore), and ds (6) wanted to buy paperback copies of History: The Definitive Visual Guide for his friends. (We finally went with a paper airplane book + kit.)

This made me lol....sounds a conversation I would have with my 6yo daughter.

We were buying birthday presents today (at the bookstore), and ds (6) wanted to buy paperback copies of History: The Definitive Visual Guide for his friends.

:lol:

He has good taste. My 12 year old LOVES that book. A paperback copy, though, would wear too quickly around here. I vote for the hardcover for the friends! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Now it's time for your dc to learn the term urtext. At first I defined it, but there's a good vocabulary word for your budding musicians;).

Good point. I will absolutely have them look this one up!

(For the record, ds plays from the edition edited by August Wenzinger which notes, in the preface, that there is no autograph as source for the suites for cello solo and that all editions are based on a "somewhat careless copy by Anna Magndalena Bach." Dd plays from an edition arranged for viola and edited by Watson Forbes.)

Anyway, I'm very glad you mentioned this. I, myself, am completely ignorant about music, but I will read the preface from ds's copy to the kids, have them look up urtext, and we'll discuss it.

Thank you!

When my oldest dd was about 3 she went through a period of amazement at the human body. At a well child check up the doctor was testing her eyes and everything on the picture chart.

He waved his fingers and said What are these? My daughter answered those are phalanges. He said they are what? She gave him this really hard look and said well you probally know them as fingers. So he then started asking her about all the bones and was amazed she knew most of them.

Same daughter at 6 was questioned by my mom Did you have a good birthday, get everything you want? My daughter answered Well you know I did not, I told you siffically (that is how she said specifically) I wanted a human skeleton and all you sent was this dumb barbie doll what do you expect me to do with this? :glare:

My children also argue over who has the bigger brain.

A neighbor down the street asked my son why he doesn't go to school and my son replied School is an instution designed to kill the joys of learning and because I can't wear pajamas.

I am sure there has been many more but those stick out the most!

• Like 14

My dd13 was talking to me this afternoon about a conversation she had with a friend of hers that was confusing her. She told me the question she had asked her friend and what her friend's answer and then said, "but her answer doesn't make any sense. I think her logic is flawed." LOL

• Like 1

Sigh...I would love to add something profound to this thread, but, alas, I have 2 boys at home ages 15 and 16. I'm sure I can remember profound things they came up with in their younger years, but they are now in another "phase". The most profound thing said today was: DS16 to DS15 - "The only reason you want to exercise your glutes is so they look good in jeans." :svengo:

• Like 4

My dd9 and I occasionally share the same ipod. I had loaded SWBs lectures on it to listen to whenever I have extra time, or in the car. So today dd9 says to me after I mentioned not liking one of her songs on the ipod, "Mom, the only 'songs' you listen to are the Literary Analysis song, and The Plan for Teaching Writing song." LOL Yes, that is probably true these days!

Also, I have noticed that both dc really enjoy watching NOVA Science Now, any History Channel or Discovery Channel documentaries. They will choose those 9 times out of 10 on the Tivo. They also enjoy reading encyclopedias & filling their brains and their notebooks with lists of facts.

• Like 2

When my daughter (currently 4) was 2 years old, she said carefully "I tried to caught the ball". My husband corrected her saying "No, you tried to catch the ball" She said, no, it already happened, it's caught; it's the past tense".

Recently she's been reading all kinds of animal encyclopedia's during her "nap time" and spewing out facts about animals I didn't know existed.:confused:

Good point. I will absolutely have them look this one up!

(For the record, ds plays from the edition edited by August Wenzinger which notes, in the preface, that there is no autograph as source for the suites for cello solo and that all editions are based on a "somewhat careless copy by Anna Magndalena Bach." Dd plays from an edition arranged for viola and edited by Watson Forbes.)

Anyway, I'm very glad you mentioned this. I, myself, am completely ignorant about music, but I will read the preface from ds's copy to the kids, have them look up urtext, and we'll discuss it.

Thank you!

Good to know about the cello; I play piano, so there are some urtexts. How did the urtext discusssion go?

Lol- DS is trying to convince the girls to play with him by bossing them around. He then says, "you just don't want to lose!". To which DD6 responds sassily, "No, I just don't like to fail!". And now the girls are arguing the technicalities of last nights pokeman game to determine who actually won. I'm so glad to know this is normal.

Edited by Scuff

I have several "Are you SURE you want your child to read early?" stories from DD.

At age 2, at the playground

"Mommy, they misspelled Duck. And "Duck you" doesn't make any sense. It should be you duck!" (admittedly, it WAS painted inside a tunnel).

At age 3, at a pizza place showing sports on TV

"Mommy, what does "E-rec-tile dys-fun-c-tion" mean?" (gotta love the little print on the bottom of TV ads....)

This is also the same child who was playing with daddy's collection of Rubic's-type puzzles, and when asked what she was doing, told a friend of mine

"Putting the tetrahedron on the dodecahedron".

• Like 1

I have several "Are you SURE you want your child to read early?" stories from DD.

I have a story like those.

We were driving down the highway and I think my oldest was 4 at the time. He saw a huge billboard with four kids on it, but one of them was cut out of the picture (just the shape was left behind). The advertisement said something like, "Does YOUR neighbor have a gun?" From the backseat I heard my little, innocent child pipe up: "Mama, DOES our neighbor have a gun?" Just the thing you want to discuss with your 4 year old as you're driving down the highway! I was totally unprepared for that one. WHO thought that was a good place for a billboard like that (so emotionally charged for little kids)?!

• Like 1

We were heading out to lunch, and my DS10 trudged out to the car with "History of the World: Ancients" tucked under his arm. He's read all the chapters dealing with the Greeks Romans already (our present focus), so I asked him what he was planning to read.

"Mom, I know we're about to close out the school year and stop talking about these guys for a little bit, so I just wanted to read about Alexander and the Wars of Succession one more time before we say good-bye to him."

• Like 4

I have a story like those.

We were driving down the highway and I think my oldest was 4 at the time. He saw a huge billboard with four kids on it, but one of them was cut out of the picture (just the shape was left behind). The advertisement said something like, "Does YOUR neighbor have a gun?" From the backseat I heard my little, innocent child pipe up: "Mama, DOES our neighbor have a gun?" Just the thing you want to discuss with your 4 year old as you're driving down the highway! I was totally unprepared for that one. WHO thought that was a good place for a billboard like that (so emotionally charged for little kids)?!

A couple reading early stories...

Dd was 3.5yo and I had stood outside the restroom door at a local pizza place we frequent while she went in to do her business. She came out really angry almost to the point of tears. When asked what the problem was she huffed, "Only employees are allowed to wash their hands and I want to wash mine." ....The sign on the mirror over the sink had her a little confused..."Employees must wash hands."

Of course there are all those lovely things written on bathroom walls that get read by little people.

When she was 2yo she wanted to know if we were going to "kev's." I was completely confused until I saw the sign for the pharmacy "CVS" we were riding past.

• Like 1

A couple reading early stories...

Dd was 3.5yo and I had stood outside the restroom door at a local pizza place we frequent while she went in to do her business. She came out really angry almost to the point of tears. When asked what the problem was she huffed, "Only employees are allowed to wash their hands and I want to wash mine." ....The sign on the mirror over the sink had her a little confused..."Employees must wash hands."

Of course there are all those lovely things written on bathroom walls that get read by little people.

When she was 2yo she wanted to know if we were going to "kev's." I was completely confused until I saw the sign for the pharmacy "CVS" we were riding past.

My DD was in her stroller at the college campus at 2, and was happily saying "K-A, E E E, three triangles, triangle, L tipped over!!!" I couldn't figure out what she was babbling about until I realized that we were across the street from Greek Row!

Maybe THAT'S where she got the desire to learn Greek?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have forgotten so many good ones, but yesterday we went to the turning on of the fountain in front of our museum (It is too early to think of a better way to word that...) and this is what my 12 yo said. He was very bored and eye-rolly.

"I wish that I had a bucket of alkalai metals. That would be exciting."

Ugh.

• Like 3

We were doing some talk about careers with the older kids. The 9 yro wants to go into veterinary medicine, the 8 yro is interested in architecture...the 6 yro chimes in and says that she wants to work at the post office. Then, she says, "For my next birthday, could I have my birthday party at the post office?"

Um, not sure they do that there...or...do they? :tongue_smilie:

• Like 3

We were doing some talk about careers with the older kids. The 9 yro wants to go into veterinary medicine, the 8 yro is interested in architecture...the 6 yro chimes in and says that she wants to work at the post office. Then, she says, "For my next birthday, could I have my birthday party at the post office?"

Um, not sure they do that there...or...do they? :tongue_smilie:

They do tours for school groups, or at least used to, so it might not hurt to ask :). I know Fed Ex does tours, too-but since their prime operating hours are overnight, it might not be a good choice for a 6th birthday.

They do tours for school groups, or at least used to, so it might not hurt to ask :). I know Fed Ex does tours, too-but since their prime operating hours are overnight, it might not be a good choice for a 6th birthday.

:lol: At some point, we'll have to do a tour of the post office. Of all the things to be interested in...my kids are so strange sometimes. :tongue_smilie:

I wish I could post truly witty things my kids have said that make them look all smart and stuff compared to public schoolers.

But, alas, I get stuff like this:

"I know what pubic means. It's right here." (DD, 8 at the time, proceeds to point to her PUPIL).

or, at age 10: "I can't think of another word that has a suffix." Me: "Hm. Well, how about trying to think of a word that ends in ful?" She: "Oh, I know. Waffle."

Or my 5 year old son wanted to tell us, "I'm a ninja. You can't see me." But instead told us, "I'm a inja. I can't see."

:tongue_smilie:

• Like 10

Or my 5 year old son wanted to tell us, "I'm a ninja. You can't see me." But instead told us, "I'm a inja. I can't see."

:tongue_smilie:

Hee! I'm totally giggling over this one. It's exactly the kind of thing my DS5 (who just cut his own hair and has a big bald spot) says all the time. :)

Last night I mentioned to my son that milk wasn't great for cats. He asked where I read it and when I said that I couldn't remember, his response was, "Unless you can cite your source, I can't believe that." :lol:

Edited by Dana
ooops... typo!
  • Like 11

My son, at age 7, insulted a squeegee teen in Latin.. Thankfully, the punk wasn't a drop out of one of the few classical colleges still left in town... :)

At age 4, my DD was in hospital. When the doctor looked into her ear, she asked the doctor if it was possible to see all the way to the cochlear with that little tool. The doctor was taken aback by this one! I am thankful though, because she looked really worried at the idea that DD was not in daycare, and that we would be homeschooling. (See thread about Quebec homeschoolers for why)

• Like 2