Menu

Another "What does this sound like?"

This sounds so bizarre, but it just all seems like it has to fit together somehow.

My ds will be 8 in June. He is in ST for articulation issues and it was mentioned he *might* have APD.

Here's what I see and am wondering what this might mean:

He is playing baseball this year. When he is up to bat and he is "walked", he stands there like he's confused. He is supposed to lay his bat down at home plate, but he kind of walks a step or two, shift his bat to his other hand, stops, it's like a light bulb goes on and he lays his bat down, then walks to base. But it almost seems like he can't coordinate it all without really stopping and thinking. It seems so automatic with the other players.

When it's his turn to bat, he gets his helmet on with three other players. Before it's his turn to bat, he's the "bat boy" meaning he picks up the bat from the previous batter. BUT, he never is ready when it's his turn to go out. He says he doesn't remember it's his turn. It's like he's in outer space somewhere. The coaches are yelling his name, telling him to get a bat and it takes him a little bit to "hear" and then get his bat and go out.

When he's on base, he's supposed to look at his coach to tell him what to do. He always forgets. He'll stay on base while every other player on the team is running to a new base, thus he and another player end up on base together. Then it's like the light-bulb moment again and he realizes he's supposed to run.

I see the coach giving him instructions and later I'll ask him and he'll say, "I have no idea what he told me." I can tell... his face looks blank or totally confused.

Some of this stuff I wonder if it is ADHD type of behavior. Because he tends to want to "move" or do other things while listening; he also seems like a space cadet a lot of the time.

Does it still seem like APD? Or does it seem like there are other things in the mix? I can see how it could be APD-ish, but the laying the bat down thing is odd to me. And I guess if I really think about it, he does that with other things... needs to think *how* he'll do something that seems like it should be automatic.

I think it's likely to be APD. APD affects the ability of the brain to process auditory information, and it can play havoc with auditory memory. It can also interfere with vestibular development (rhythm, timing, balance). The APD then shows up in the slow processing of even non-auditory tasks, because timing is critical to all kinds of processing (not just auditory).

I can't remember -- has your son had an occupational therapy evaluation? Vestibular issues will usually show up in an OT eval.

Just a practical question: how long has your son played baseball? If this is his first season, keep in mind that it could be the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th season for others on the team. Other kids may get additional instruction through gym class at school. gung-ho dads at home running them through all the paces, or experience at baseball camps.

All of my kids have gotten confused at some points like yours, and there is a lot to keep in mind. I'm not discounting at all your sense that all of this adds up to a general issue;however, if this is his first or second season, it may not be as pronounced as you think.

Contributing to all these things could be a problem with knowing how his body is oriented in space & motor planning problems (my son with these problems would also have to consciouly think of putting the bat down, etc.) The overload to the mind of having to consciously tell yourself what you're body is supposed to be doing can take up working memory that looks like a child is spacing out. Has he had an OT evaluation along the line?

It also could be the APD or possibly ADHD.

He's on a long waiting list for OT.

I was thinking of other things, non-baseball, last night.

We just painted our livingroom and the dc helped me. He was the only one who kept constantly getting too close to the wall (he would turn around and not realize he was too close and would get paint on his clothes); or if he had the roller with extended handle, he didn't realize where the "rest of the handle" might be (knocking things over or hitting someone), etc.

So we'll keep on the OT waiting list for now. Seems from what you're saying, these things will show itself in an evaluation.

He's also seeing a neuropsych. in August which I hope will help either comfirm or show *why* about the APD-like issues.

He's on a long waiting list for OT.

I was thinking of other things, non-baseball, last night.

We just painted our livingroom and the dc helped me. He was the only one who kept constantly getting too close to the wall (he would turn around and not realize he was too close and would get paint on his clothes); or if he had the roller with extended handle, he didn't realize where the "rest of the handle" might be (knocking things over or hitting someone), etc.

So we'll keep on the OT waiting list for now. Seems from what you're saying, these things will show itself in an evaluation.

He's also seeing a neuropsych. in August which I hope will help either comfirm or show *why* about the APD-like issues.

Not knowing where your body is in space is common with SPD. Try to see if you can get moved up on the OT list or if you can fnd another GOOD OT.

Not knowing where your body is in space is common with SPD. Try to see if you can get moved up on the OT list or if you can fnd another GOOD OT.

I have spoken with the OT a few times. I believe I'm even on the cancellation list, though I should double-check about that. Unfortunately, I believe she is the only one in our entire county (very rural) that has SPD training. Part of our wait is also probably that this ds and my 9yo ds are both on the waiting list for SPD type things and fine motor skills things.

That's the phrase I was trying to think of: Not knowing where your body is in space. That really fits.