Menu

Washing Machine--Top Load with or without agitator?

I'm looking to replace our recently deceased washing machine with another top loader. There are different types of top loaders now: either the energy efficient/lower water without an agitator vs. a regular old washing machine with agitator. Can anyone share their experiences comparing how they clean? The washing machine I'm thinking of getting without an agitator holds a larger load, but does that style clean as well? :bigear:

I'm looking to replace our recently deceased washing machine with another top loader. There are different types of top loaders now: either the energy efficient/lower water without an agitator vs. a regular old washing machine with agitator. Can anyone share their experiences comparing how they clean? The washing machine I'm thinking of getting without an agitator holds a larger load, but does that style clean as well? :bigear:

I have one of those without the agitator. It's a Whirlpool Cabrio. I hate it. I bought it on the glowing recommendation of a couple of friends. It doesn't clean as well as my old top loader or a Samsung front loader I own. It tears our clothes up. I don't really know WHY it tears them up, but it absolutely wears them to rags. I'm goign through fitted sheets like crazy. I loved my Samsung front load. It cleaned the clothes well, held a ton, and didn't twist them to bits.

I have one of those without the agitator. It's a Whirlpool Cabrio. I hate it. I bought it on the glowing recommendation of a couple of friends. It doesn't clean as well as my old top loader or a Samsung front loader I own. It tears our clothes up. I don't really know WHY it tears them up, but it absolutely wears them to rags. I'm goign through fitted sheets like crazy. I loved my Samsung front load. It cleaned the clothes well, held a ton, and didn't twist them to bits.

How old is your Cabrio? A friend of mine had a top loader w/out an agitator some years back (maybe 7 yrs back) and she hated it too. She said it tore the clothes up and the clothes were never clean. About a year ago she bought a samsung front loader and she loves it.

I'm wondering about the new LG top loader -- I'm kind of hoping that they've worked out the kinks of the agitator-less top loaders. But, maybe not.:glare:

I have a Fisher Paykel Ecosmart with an agitator and it is by far the best washer I've ever owned. Things come clean, with 1oz of detergent (I use liquid purex naturals) and spins the clothes just as dry as the LG front loader I had and hated. It has a direct drive drum, so there is no transmission to break.

I also have the matching top load dryer (yep loads on top not the front) and it is awesome, it scrapes it's own lint screen into a bucket and I empty it once very 5-10 loads.

How old is your Cabrio? A friend of mine had a top loader w/out an agitator some years back (maybe 7 yrs back) and she hated it too. She said it tore the clothes up and the clothes were never clean. About a year ago she bought a samsung front loader and she loves it.

I'm wondering about the new LG top loader -- I'm kind of hoping that they've worked out the kinks of the agitator-less top loaders. But, maybe not.:glare:

I've had it about 2 years. I'm waiting on it to break.:glare: I'm willing it to break. Wait. I bought the warranty. They have already come out once for a little problem with the dryer.:glare::glare:

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio, glass top, just bought in last year & I love it. We had mold issues with a previous front loader. It cleans nicely. We have sheep & llamas with our fair share of gross laundry & no complaints.

This is what I have. Bought it a year and a half ago after the movers dropped my Fisher & Paykel. I loved my old washer but adore the larger capacity and quality of my new one. I'd love to get the dryer to match but it would just be a "want". :) My washer's natural capacity is larger than the largest capacity for my Fisher dryer. I love, love, love how "smart" my washer is too. That's probably my favorite feature.

This is what I have. Bought it a year and a half ago after the movers dropped my Fisher & Paykel. I loved my old washer but adore the larger capacity and quality of my new one. I'd love to get the dryer to match but it would just be a "want". :) My washer's natural capacity is larger than the largest capacity for my Fisher dryer. I love, love, love how "smart" my washer is too. That's probably my favorite feature.

Same one I have. It doesn't eat your clothes and especially enjoys munching fitted sheets???

Thank you everyone for sharing your experience! I figured a group of homeschooling parents would know a thing or two about washing machines.

Fixing my old washer is nearly half the price of buying a new one. Part of me wonders if we should fix the old machine, but then it's still an old washing machine and its other parts might wear out soon. I'm leaning towards one by Whirlpool without an agitator that we found on sale at Sears.

We've been without a washer for over a week. Our wash is piling up. Finally, I don't feel guilty about the pile of laundry! :lol:

I just replaced my OLD top loader with the agitator. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my washer. This is what I have:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Maytag+-+5.0+Cu.+Ft.+13-Cycle+Washer+-+White-on-White/9746951.p?id=1218166153852&skuId=9746951&st=maytag%20washer&cp=2&lp=13

Been using it a month now and it cleans wonderfully! I actually LIKE doing laundry now. If you can, get a large capacity. I get my clothes washed in half the time. It's amazing. It cleans like a dream...no wear and tear yet on my clothes. I'm very very happy.

I had a Whirlpool Calypso (top load without an agitator) and I detested that machine. I willed it to break. I replaced it when it was only 5 years old. It tore up clothes, didn't clean them, stunk of mold and put big black marks on many clothes. I gave up cloth dipes because I could not force the machine to put any kind of water in there (it's so "efficient").

I now have a GE top load with an agitator that I can place on auto or manually override. I love that machine. I hope it lasts forever.

I bought a top loader without an agitator this last December. It was terrible. The clothes stank when I took them out of the washer and sometimes there would be a shirt or something lying across the top that had never even gotten wet. I was really bummed because it had a few features I liked and I was really hopeful that machine would work out for me. Plus, I loved the dryer that went with it.

In the end, I took it back and got a regular top loader with an agitator and it's nothing fancy, but it gets my clothes clean.

Lisa

I have this LG washer and love it. It treats the clothes fine, gets them clean, I can wash a TON of clothes...I checked reviews forever and LG consistently had great reviews, and every other brand, not so much.

My mom has a LG Wavefront and it's very hard on clothes. I made the mistake of putting one of my sweathers in it and it came out looking like it had been washed 50 times.

That's a top loader without an agitator.

Edited by kamom
more detail