What's with the ads?

#1 PinkInTheBlue

PinkInTheBlue

Drowning in boys!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2795 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:56 PM

I don't care for my beef stew recipe. I'm looking at a few new ones before running out to the grocery store. So many of them say to have a dutch oven with a tight fitting lid. Why? Can I work around it? How? To be honest, I don't even know what a dutch oven is. I have an oval shaped blue pot with a metal lid that I seldom use but it's not tight fitting necessarily and it's somewhat light weight; unlike the crockery dutch ovens I think I usually see. Is that one?

Sorry for such a dumb question. I've only recently come back into the cooking-at-home route and I don't really know bunches. I'm not very fluent in the kitchen. :)

Thanks!!

#2 vonfirmath

vonfirmath

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2817 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:05 PM

I sometimes use a stockpot instead of a dutch oven (and our dutch oven is not crockery and not nearly as heavy -- it is this: http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B00005AL69) Both have tight-fitting lids (I think the idea is that the lid does not allow the steam/water out because then you have a lot more evaporation than with the lid firmly on. NOT that it is hard to pull the lid off)

#3 joannqn

joannqn

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7691 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:25 PM

I just use my stock pot with lid and watch the liquid content; add liquid as needed.

#4 KristenD

KristenD

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:40 PM

Ditto. I use a stock pot (or my crock pot if I get it going early enough). We have a cast iron Dutch oven that only comes out for camping trips.

What's with the ads?