Menu

What if I don't have a dutch oven?

I don't care for my beef stew recipe. I'm looking at a few new ones before running out to the grocery store. So many of them say to have a dutch oven with a tight fitting lid. Why? Can I work around it? How? To be honest, I don't even know what a dutch oven is. I have an oval shaped blue pot with a metal lid that I seldom use but it's not tight fitting necessarily and it's somewhat light weight; unlike the crockery dutch ovens I think I usually see. Is that one?

Sorry for such a dumb question. I've only recently come back into the cooking-at-home route and I don't really know bunches. I'm not very fluent in the kitchen. :)

Thanks!!

I sometimes use a stockpot instead of a dutch oven (and our dutch oven is not crockery and not nearly as heavy -- it is this: http://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Stainless-2-Quart-Dutch-Oven/dp/B00005AL69) Both have tight-fitting lids (I think the idea is that the lid does not allow the steam/water out because then you have a lot more evaporation than with the lid firmly on. NOT that it is hard to pull the lid off)