Menu

Literature Guides -- Memoria? Kolbe? Angelicum?

oraetstudia

First of all let me start by saying we haven't used or seen the Memoria Press or Angelicum's Lit guides.

We have used Kolbe's Elem Lit and parts of the Jnr High Lit.

I think the guides/course plans are extremely detailed, obviously a lot of work has been put into them.

The Study Guide sets include:

• vocabulary work
  • chapter comprehension questions
  • answers to above

The course plans include

• day to day schedule
  • written assignments
  • tests/exams
  • answers to above
  • definitions of Lit terms, devices, elements
  • book report guidelines

One huge advantage is that you can pick and choose what books you would like to study. The Elem Lit set has 42 books, the Jnr High 30 books plus the poetry and short story sections.

The only thing for me, as the teacher, is that you don't really have examples of all the literary devices etc... just definitions. I'm a maths/science kind of person, so lit analysis is a little tougher for me.

It also does take a little effort in setting up the work for the dc, for us anyway. We do all our chapter work in exercise books, and assignments and book reports on computer.

We use Kolbe Elem Lit for 4th-6th exclusively, we use parts of the Jnr High Lit as well as LL7/8, which is more open and go/fill in worksheets type program.

Emily.

Of the three mentioned, we have only tried Memoria Press' lit guides. Further, we have only used Lassie, Come Home and Robin Hood so far (King Arthur is waiting in the wings). I have to say we love these guides. They have vocabulary, comprehension and analysis questions, as well as tests. The ones we have used have also included background information relevant to the stories. I cannot compare these guides to the others, but we are very happy with these. They are straightforward and meaty.

Of the three mentioned, we have only tried Memoria Press' lit guides. Further, we have only used Lassie, Come Home and Robin Hood so far (King Arthur is waiting in the wings). I have to say we love these guides. They have vocabulary, comprehension and analysis questions, as well as tests. The ones we have used have also included background information relevant to the stories. I cannot compare these guides to the others, but we are very happy with these. They are straightforward and meaty.

I looked at samples of these online and thought they looked great. My problem is that they only have three or four books for each grade level and not necessarily the books I want DD to read. I also wanted her to read books at a little bit higher grade level (say 6th grade) but I don't think she's ready for assignments at the higher grade level. I think I'm going to like Kolbe better because of the wide variety of books and the range of grade levels available.

If Angelicum is the the program that is the same as the Great Books program - I purchased their elementary lessons (second grade?) a few years ago. There was no guide - but they may have changed things over the years or it may be different at older levels, I really don't know. However, there were no guides when I purchased them. There were only one page book report forms to be completed and sent back after the child finished reading each book.

I used the Memoria Press guides last year and again this year. I think they are great for about 3rd-6th grade - but they are time consuming. Each chapter is covered individually and looks exactly like the examples. I think there is too much writing/busy work for the younger kids - but it is possible that when my kids are young I don't ask as much from them as is standard.

I don't really like the guides for use beyond 6th grade either. I tried the Homer guide and it just doesn't ask enough of the student. Way too much time on basic questions more suitable to younger grades especially on a chapter by chapter basis and no really thoughtful, penetrating questions at all.

I am a fan of Kolbe. I wound up using the Kolbe guide for Homer and will use the rest of the Greek history/literature guide this year for my eldest daughter. I also have the junior high literature program. I will be doing the poetry sections with my dds 13 and 11 this year and my dd11 will also do about six of the novels. I have found most of Kolbe's programs to have a nice combination of vocabulary/comprehension/discussion questions. And they provide a teacher's guide that summarizes the main points, highlights things that should be discussed, require additional research, etc. There is usually a weekly essay topic, answers to all questions, vocabulary, essay topics. And I like the added quizzes and tests - especially since I need to provide a report card for 7th and 8th grades.

If Angelicum is the the program that is the same as the Great Books program - I purchased their elementary lessons (second grade?) a few years ago. There was no guide - but they may have changed things over the years or it may be different at older levels, I really don't know. However, there were no guides when I purchased them. There were only one page book report forms to be completed and sent back after the child finished reading each book.

I used the Memoria Press guides last year and again this year. I think they are great for about 3rd-6th grade - but they are time consuming. Each chapter is covered individually and looks exactly like the examples. I think there is too much writing/busy work for the younger kids - but it is possible that when my kids are young I don't ask as much from them as is standard.

I don't really like the guides for use beyond 6th grade either. I tried the Homer guide and it just doesn't ask enough of the student. Way too much time on basic questions more suitable to younger grades especially on a chapter by chapter basis and no really thoughtful, penetrating questions at all.

I am a fan of Kolbe. I wound up using the Kolbe guide for Homer and will use the rest of the Greek history/literature guide this year for my eldest daughter. I also have the junior high literature program. I will be doing the poetry sections with my dds 13 and 11 this year and my dd11 will also do about six of the novels. I have found most of Kolbe's programs to have a nice combination of vocabulary/comprehension/discussion questions. And they provide a teacher's guide that summarizes the main points, highlights things that should be discussed, require additional research, etc. There is usually a weekly essay topic, answers to all questions, vocabulary, essay topics. And I like the added quizzes and tests - especially since I need to provide a report card for 7th and 8th grades.

Wow! Thank you so much for all the great information! You just cemented my decision to use Kolbe for my DD. :D

Thanks MelissaB for your review of Kolbe. As my older dd is getting further along, I like the support of Kolbe's items more and more. We'll be covering the Greeks next year for 9th grade so this is good to know. I've considered their guides for history and literature and with your review I'll feel more confident. Thanks!

Thanks for that review. Kolbe sounds very promising.

I believe the Angelicum guides are new. They don't look as though they've finished all the levels and I don't remember seeing them on their site last year. They also don't provide enough information for me to tell if I'd like them.

I have not used Angelicum, but this year we are trying MP's guides using King Arthur. I like it pretty well, and they do have enough penetrating questions in it to suit me for a 7th grader. I may continue with MP, but what I've found I really like is Total Language Plus. My 3rd grader did the guide for Pippi Longstocking this year, and I thought it was a rich study, covering grammar, spelling, vocabulary, writing, and comprehension. They weren't done in a way that felt like fluff to me, either. It has been challenging and appropriately indepth for her. My only beef with it is that they don't do anything with really classical works, like the Odyssey, but a lot of the selections are good, anyway. I am interested to see what the junior high and high school guides are like.

My one experience with Kolbe has been indirectly. My daughter took a class this year that used Kolbe book lists and guides. I liked a lot of the materials fine, but I felt the books were generally poor choices for junior high. For example, The Screwtape Letters, I felt, was way over her head. I would much rather her go indepth with something more age-appropriate. There's plenty of good stuff out there. I want her to read the adult books, but they can wait.

and I kinda like it.

It gives a description of the author, the setting, and the themes of the story.

Then it gives 10 True/False Questions and 4-5 Essay Questions. It does not breakdown the book into chapters and does not have vocabulary lists. The True/False Questions are straight forward but the essay questions are a little harder ...

Here is a couple examples ...

Explain how The Princess and the Goblin can be understood as an allegory or parallel story of the Catholic experience of the spiritual journey and spiritual combat on the road to salvation.

(The Princess and Curdie) - It has been said that this tale by MacDonald resembles the book of Isaiah in the Old Testament. Write an essay demonstrating if this is true.

(The Secret Garden) - In the beginning God created a garden. Discuss the similarities and differences in Mary's secret garden and the garden of Adam and Eve, or even the garden of Gethsemane.

I feel that the essay questions are a "little" above my dd's head, but it sure has opened up some interesting discussions. I also had never read the George MacDonald books, but my dd loved them. She is now excited about the Narnia books because CS Lewis was influenced by Mac Donald.

If you are looking for a unit study for a book then the Angelicum study guides are not for you.

Hope that helps.

Edited by CatMomof3
can't type today :)