Menu

Are colleges not accepting Christian published Sciences??

Having a cc course or two gives a great chance for Letters of Recommendation.

If a student is borderline without much outside confirmation, I imagine they might want to look more closely at other things.

:iagree: The Dual Enrollment option was also discussed at the same HSLDA conference. It will prove they are able to do college freshman level work if they can pass a couple of courses as a DE student.

though-it's not like public school transcripts have textbook lists!

At our ps there is an approved textbook list that the school can choose from. While colleges won't know which one was chosen, they will know it was off that list.

I do think this is a reason for doing some sort of third party testing, like the SAT subject tests (whatever they're called now) or AP exams, or even a state end of course test (Gateway tests, here) even if it's not required for homeschoolers. If your score is better than 3/4 of the public schooled students who take the test, they can hardly say you're not qualified because the textbook was published by XYZ PDQ!

Most colleges look at the big picture (a standardized test score will suffice). I do believe there are some who are now discriminating against Christian homeschoolers by looking at specific texts used. This is my belief - not necessarily what IS happening (just to be clear). I came to the conclusion a couple of years ago that if a school wants to discriminate against my boys due to the textbooks chosen EVEN WITH high standardized test scores, then that's not a school I want my boys at anyway. They would not be comfortable there and I would not want to support them with a dime of my money.

Oldest son went to a Christian college (his choice). There were certainly no issues there.

Middle son will likely be heading secular (Baylor is the only Christian option on his list right now and it's pretty low due to distance). He's heading into a science field and we've used Apologia (Glencoe too for Bio). He has very near top of the top standardized test scores (top 1%). We'll be finding out what some of the higher level schools think - in a way. Those schools are so competitive that we won't be able to say he got "denied" (if it happens) due to curriculum, but it could happen IF they ask. And if so, he doesn't want to go there either.

I know PA's state schools don't have a problem with Apologia. Many homeschooled graduates use Apologia and have gotten in with no problems. These schools have also point blank told us middle son could have entered as a college freshman this coming year without completing high school if we'd wanted to. (He'd have had enough credits in everything else, but I assume they'd have fudged the 4 years of English.) I'd rather he stay home one more year. That's our preference, not any "need."

We teach both evolution and creation as I feel it's important to know what general beliefs are out there. Honestly? IMO there are pros and cons of each belief and we point them out. My boys KNOW they can choose how they believe. To me, how they believe about that is no more important than what they believe about Atlantis, the Nazca Lines or Stonehenge. It's in the past. No one will ever have "proof." No one can ever repeat it. We just know what we see and people have proposed some interesting theories explaining it.

Now, if they were to dispute some of the evolutionary aspects we SEE (all within a "kind" sometimes creating different species), then I'd have issues with their beliefs.

I wouldn't worry about it. What I would suggest is to consider taking the Biology SAT subject test the same year you take Biology. Actually, there are two tests and you can choose which one to take, E or M. Dd wants to take the M test, because she's not interested in ecology, etc.

Oh, I agree, but if they are at least conversant in regards to evolution, even if it is not what they personally believe, that would be beneficial wouldn't it? It would show the college that they are well rounded regardless of what curriculum they used. I could see a student truthfully telling what they believe (YE, OE, etc), if asked, but also being able to talk accurately about other beliefs as being a plus.

YES! Dd was given an assignment to write an essay on how she would support the theory of evolution this semester. What she did was write an essay on why she wouldn't support it, but she made it clear in her essay that she understood the evolutionary material in the text and so still got her normal grade. Of course, this is ps, not college, but the teacher was looking for an understanding of the material in the text, and was quick to say that dc don't have to believe it.