Menu

Assigning credit for Great Books/English/History

Just when I think I have this high school thing figured out, I find myself totally confused about how to assign credit for what we plan to do in 9th grade.

We plan to study Great Books I next year, covering Ancients thru Middle Ages, adopting a condensed version of TWTM. In 10th grade, we'll study Great Books II, covering the Renaissance thru Modern times. We'll study both history & literature, and we'll probably spend about 1.5-2 hours/day doing just this.

We'll also still be working our way thru grammar/writing (Writing Strands)/vocabulary, probably about an hour a day. So, do I incorporate this into a Great Books class, or would this count as a typical English I class for 9th grade?

I was assuming that Great Books would BE our 9th grade "English" class, but the more I read, the more I think they need to be separated. Does it look like overkill to have 2 full English credits in both 9th & 10th grades? How have you all handled this in terms of assigning credit on a transcript?

:confused:

We are almost through our first year (Great Books, Ancients). I find it impossible to separate what is history and what is English - so I simply count the hours and split. With 150 hours last semester and the same amount probably again this semester, this will be sufficient for two credits: one for history and one for English.

I tie all writing into this; the assignments are related to the books or history topics.

So then how will you title your course(s) to truly reflect what was studied? English I doesn't usually cover Great Books, and Great Books sounds more literature-based rather than covering grammar, writing, & vocab. But I do expect a lot of it to overlap.

I'm thinking Great Books sounds like a more reflective course title based on what we'll be spending most of our time on. I guess I could just include the "language arts" stuff we also cover in the course description. Is that how you'll handle it?

So then how will you title your course(s) to truly reflect what was studied? English I doesn't usually cover Great Books, and Great Books sounds more literature-based rather than covering grammar, writing, & vocab. But I do expect a lot of it to overlap.

I'm thinking Great Books sounds like a more reflective course title based on what we'll be spending most of our time on. I guess I could just include the "language arts" stuff we also cover in the course description. Is that how you'll handle it?

Initially I had planned on using the labels "Great Books-Ancient", "Great Books-Medieval", etc. for two credits per academic year (one English credit and one History). But after discussion with the BTDT crowd here on the boards, I opted to create a more traditional transcript. English credits were in one section, History in another. On a separate document I listed text books. In the English section of this more detailed document, I provided the list of Great Books as well as other English materials (grammar, writing, vocab). It was clear that there was a parallel section for History where I mentioned the Spielvogel text as well as the various Teaching Company courses used.

The transcript and any other attachments serve the purpose of describing your student's unique homeschool education; but they also sell your student to Admissions officers. For that reason, we opted to go with a more traditional route.

So then how will you title your course(s) to truly reflect what was studied? English I doesn't usually cover Great Books, and Great Books sounds more literature-based rather than covering grammar, writing, & vocab.

Is that how you'll handle it?

I will either call it English 1 or World Literature 1 (Ancients). I think it is understood that a literature course also includes writing. And since writing includes using correct grammar, and reading enhances vocabulary, those two components are also implicit.

There will be a separate detailed course description and book list.

From what I have learned here, one should not get too creative with course names, so admissions has some idea what the course could possibly be.

We are doing waaaaayyyy more than 2 credits worth of work, but that is what I am giving. So for this year, I have called it:

English I: Composition & Ancient Literature

World History I: Ancient History

Next year will be II for each.

The third and fourth year, I will split it up into English and American literature, as well as American History and Modern History, plus add Governement and Economics credits.

In the course descriptions, I describe how it is a Great Books course. I list the books studied under both English and History, as we did both types of work for each book.

Our situation (as always) is different, because my daughter leapt to an early entrance college program after her third year of what we were calling high school. However, here's what I did on her transcript.

In the course descriptions, I wrote a brief paragraph about the general design of each history/lit combination. And I listed all of the books she had read and materials she had used and everything else as a course outline.

On the transcript, though, it was just "English 1," "English 2," "English 3" and "American History," "History of the Ancient World," "History: Middle Ages and the Renaissance."

From everything I have read, this is the clearest approach. It's what most colleges expect to see on a transcript. I'm planning the same basic approach for my son.