Menu

New Consumables in Sonlight Core D/3 ???

Aludlam

What do you guys think about the consumables in the new Core D? Please tell me what you think, b/c I'm piecing together a Sonlight year for next year, and the last thing I need is "busy work."

Explorers and Settlers

A Young Nation Solves It's Problems

Amercian Adventures 1

thanks!

What do you guys think about the consumables in the new Core D? Please tell me what you think, b/c I'm piecing together a Sonlight year for next year, and the last thing I need is "busy work."

Explorers and Settlers

A Young Nation Solves It's Problems

Amercian Adventures 1

thanks!

The 1st two books that you listed are part of The Story of the USA workbook series from EPS Publishing. More information can be found here. I had my DS read them independently and then he filled out the questions after each chapter. I guess you could say that I used it as "busywork."

I did not use American Adventures as a consumable. I read the story aloud and then my DS answered some of the questions orally. We used it more for discussion.

HTH! :) Core 3 was a great year! We've decided to return to Sonlight for next year. My DS really missed it so I'm getting ready to place my order next week. I'm really looking forward to our return!

Oh, I didn't realize that they were the Story of the USA. I thought they were new! I miss the old catalog set-up.

Do you think they are an important part of the core, or something we could treat as "extra"? Meaning --- do you think we would be missing out, if we skipped them? Are they the only "scheduled" thing to do for history on certain days?

Please excuse any silliness in questions and responses, b/c I'm under the influence of Benadryll.

thanks!

Oh, I didn't realize that they were the Story of the USA. I thought they were new! I miss the old catalog set-up.

Do you think they are an important part of the core, or something we could treat as "extra"? Meaning --- do you think we would be missing out, if we skipped them? Are they the only "scheduled" thing to do for history on certain days?

Please excuse any silliness in questions and responses, b/c I'm under the influence of Benadryll.

thanks!

I know! The listing in the catalog caught me off guard. :glare:

There are days where these are the only things scheduled for history. In fact, I remember there was a week where the only history reading was from one of the Story of USA books.

I wish that I could give you a better answer. Perhaps someone with more insight will chime in. We liked them so I'm a little biased. ;)

Hope you feel better!!

thanks!

The new catalog is confusing. I glanced at it and tossed it, so hadn't realized they listed the title instead of the series name.

I would say they are not really important. Some do prefer them as a spine in place of the Landmark book for younger students if the Landmark book turns out to be a bit much.

You can definitely read the page or two that's assigned, do the questions orally (narration), or skip them (Some are silly as I recall.).

Rainbow Resource also has these books for a bit less as I recall. You won't need the answer keys if you do the SL core.

The new catalog is confusing. I glanced at it and tossed it, so hadn't realized they listed the title instead of the series name.

I would say they are not really important. Some do prefer them as a spine in place of the Landmark book for younger students if the Landmark book turns out to be a bit much.

You can definitely read the page or two that's assigned, do the questions orally (narration), or skip them (Some are silly as I recall.).

Rainbow Resource also has these books for a bit less as I recall. You won't need the answer keys if you do the SL core.

I had just looked them up on RR. I was wondering about the answer key. So, the answers are in the IG?

thanks

Guest purepraise

In the early weeks they are read alongside the Incans, Aztecs & Mayans book and for a couple of weeks are the only assigned reading under the history section until you start Landmark in Week 11. I'm not sure you'd be missing much history teaching if you skipped them because they aren't adding a lot of info that isn't covered elsewhere.

The purpose of the SoUSA set is to practice reading comprehension. They read a section and then do multiple choice, fill-in-the-blanks, T/F, etc.

In our case, with an 11 year old and an 8 year old that likes filling out worksheets - they've been a good fit. In fact, at the moment my 11yo is motivated to keep up with her reading because she can't do the next chapter in SoUSA until she finishes :)

If your kids haven't done any exercises of this type, I think it's a nice way to introduce them as long as they are ready for the writing. I've also seen posts where people mention using the books for the reading but doing the comprehension section orally.