Menu

Ham strikes again...this time he goes after SWB in earnest

Serious question: What would "his level" mean?

My dh, well versed in mediation and forgiveness issues, with a Ph.D. in Clinical Psych and M.A. in theology would not "count" becasue of the psych degree (he's been told he "worships" Freud. HAHAHA. But I digress).

SWB is "not on "his level" because of her heretical views. Wile is out, as well as many, many others. A pastor? It would have to be

A) Male

B) Fundy

C) Young earth

D) legalistic

E) in agreement with him

this would be effective how?

Lisa/laughinglioness = still dealing with broken keys

Interesting question. I know that we have enough people on this board that we probably have a few "big name" connections. I know the president of Bob Jones University. (The attack from Ham sounds like an old style Bob Jones attack, but the current president isn't fiery like his grandpa.)

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

justamouse, where did you get these lists?

ugh. Here.

1. Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.
  2. No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.
  3. No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.
  4. Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.
  5. There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.
  6. Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.
  7. There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.
  8. Followers feel they can never be "good enough".
  9. The group/leader is always right.
  10. The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

Here's another one.

1. A movement that separates itself from society, either geographically or socially;
  2. Adherents who become increasingly dependent on the movement for their view on reality;
  3. Important decisions in the lives of the adherents are made by others;
  4. Making sharp distinctions between us and them, divine and Satanic, good and evil, etc. that are not open for discussion;
  5. Leaders who claim divine authority for their deeds and for their orders to their followers;
  6. Leaders and movements who are unequivocally focused on achieving a certain goal.

Does he hit all the marks-no, or, I don't know enough about him to know. But by what I've been reading the past few days (not just his FB page, but the history of this whole movement) I think he hits a lot of these.

I think there is a zeitgiest out there. People are afraid. There's wars that are horrific, earthquakes, tsunami's and people crying God's judgment. I hear of prophets saying that the worst days for America are nipping at our heels. I think this quest of Ham's is not only motivated by money, but that this is an opportune time because of the fear out there right now. He is using this as a litmus test. If you believe, you're a real Christian, if not, you're an enemy of Christ. He scoffs at those with higher education, he refused a public reprimand, he praises those who follow him in icky ways. He is making himself into a spiritual authority figure. It's not stopping, every day he's coming out with another attack.

There's a cartoon now??????:001_huh::001_huh::001_huh:

It is in very poor taste, but if you want to look it is here:

http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2597597&postcount=42

Note the reference to the biblical verse from Luke (17:2). Ken Ham been aiming this bit of scripture, and a parallel quote in Matthew (18:6), to suggest "the Compromisers" would be better off having millstones hung around their necks and be cast into the sea.

Scary stuff!

Bill

It is in very poor taste, but if you want to look it is here:

http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2597597&postcount=42

Note the reference to the biblical verse from Luke (17:2). Ken Ham been aiming this bit of scripture, and a parallel quote in Matthew (18:6), to suggest "the Compromisers" would be better off having millstones hung around their necks and be cast into the sea.

Scary stuff!

Bill

Is that a millstone or a

?

While preparing yourself to be cast into the sea do not forget your swimgear

And I hope everyone's relieved to know that goats can indeed swim:

VW001905.jpg?size=67&uid=a977ecea-f306-43e8-893f-04d32cedff2a&uniqID=69140201-77ee-4bdb-b9eb-20b8fe50846a

By "metaphorically," do you mean spiritually, allegorically, tropologically, or anagogically?

I wouldn't wish to place any limitations on someone else's interpretation. :D

You're starting to sound like a "Compromiser" to me :D

Bill

I thought you were all pagans now!

You know.... you're going to have to return the starter kits if you switch over to the Compromiser Camp.

You know.... you're going to have to return the starter kits if you switch over to the Compromiser Camp.

After that other thread, I just read "starter kilts."

Including the dead animals we tossed at the neighbors? It is going to be awkward getting them back.

You know, other than Christmas and Easter, I hardly know anything about Paganism.

Bill

Oh my gosh. I'm so tired after last night's party, I thought *I* was passing out the pagan starter kits. :svengo: :lol:

I am going to need a lot more caffeinations. Nobody check my posts for comma splices until I'm well caffeinated, please.

This and the big farewell flop have to be the two VERY BEST threads I've EVER read here! :lol::lol::lol:

Oh the mental picture I have of Mrs. Mungo lobbing dead animals at her neighbors and then knocking on the door and saying, "May we please have our animals back? Our Pagan card has been revoked and we must return our kit."

:lol::lol:

Can I be pagan and wear a kilt?

Having recently been religiously reassigned by the powers that be, I want to be a good obedient girl and make sure I cover my bases. How about the starter kit (minus the chickens - I have six and if I need to lob a dead one at the neighbors, I'll use one of my own), a green and blue kilt, and I'll paint my face blue too. What am I missing???? Help!

I'm going to have to practice my lobbing technic. We've got a really neat 150 year old stone wall around the property...the perfect thing for hiding behind while launching the assault. Dh says that being the science geek pagan family in town, we shouldn't hand throw our goats, but launch them with a catapult! I told him to get on it right away. :biggrinjester:

Faith

Dh says that being the science geek pagan family in town, we shouldn't hand throw our goats, but launch them with a catapult! I told him to get on it right away. :biggrinjester:

Faith

Remind him to WEAR A KILT while preparing the catapult. We want no questions about which camp we're in!

Can I be pagan and wear a kilt?

Having recently been religiously reassigned by the powers that be, I want to be a good obedient girl and make sure I cover my bases. How about the starter kit (minus the chickens - I have six and if I need to lob a dead one at the neighbors, I'll use one of my own), a green and blue kilt, and I'll paint my face blue too. What am I missing???? Help!

I'm going to have to practice my lobbing technic. We've got a really neat 150 year old stone wall around the property...the perfect thing for hiding behind while launching the assault. Dh says that being the science geek pagan family in town, we shouldn't hand throw our goats, but launch them with a catapult! I told him to get on it right away. :biggrinjester:

Faith

Building a trebuchet would be a great physics and algebra lesson. Forget science books.

Dh's kilt....I am ordering one today! When we embrace a belief system, we do it whole-heartedly!

You know, I'm trying to decide if my children really need an education today or not. After all, I could claim this as a teacher professional development day and continue my new found religious education!

Dh in a kilt, a trebuchet, dead goats, the stone wall, and the neighbors closest to the wall have NO windows facing the wall....life just doesn't get better than this.

:D Life just doesn't get any better than this.

Faith

This and the big farewell flop have to be the two VERY BEST threads I've EVER read here! :lol::lol::lol:

Oh the mental picture I have of Mrs. Mungo lobbing dead animals at her neighbors and then knocking on the door and saying, "May we please have our animals back? Our Pagan card has been revoked and we must return our kit."

:lol::lol:

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:I have got to stop reading these threads while DS is working on his algebra!!!

Okay, I think it has reached the point where we need coffee mugs or t-shirts!!! They could say something like, "The new Pagan, get your kit today!" or "Well-Trained Men in Kilts!" (thanks Imp!)

:D

Edited by simka2

We don't know what judgment anyone will have.* God looks at the heart. He sees accurately and judges mercifully. Jesus is the judge, not us.—Matthew 25:31-40

Including Ken Ham. I understand righteous indignation, of course, but if re-adjustment should be tempered with love, shouldn't it be in his case as well?

I have debated with the person who posted this and we have gotten into our own kerfuffles but we understand that we are each coming at things from a loving sincere heart even if we are on opposite sides of the issue. This thread in particular made me think of this page on his website:

http://www.yecheadquarters.com/kent_hovind.html

As a creation ministry, will you still support Hovind? Yes. You don't bail out just because someone makes a mistake. Or someone falls. For if Christ treated us the way we would like to treat Hovind (a flesh response), because we are afraid of what someone might think, how many of us would be still saved? If we separate from Hovind for this one thing, then we also give more fuel for the fire that evolutionists have already started against creation.

Are you worried about the damage to the image of this ministry? If I worried about what everyone thought about this ministry, it would not be what it is today. The only person any ministry should worry about, is the one person in which each ministry should be based upon, which is God. If the decision about this is more made upon how a ministry will look to others, then you have missed the point. Did Christ ever worry about how it looked as He preached and teached? Nope. People will think what they want regardless of what we do. Trying to do damage control is one of the main things that is wrong with most ministries today. What will people think if we do that? Where is God in that type of thinking?

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Ladies, I am a YE creationist who takes Genesis literally, and I'm really offended by this whole thread.

I want a kilt. And a starter kit. I want to throw dead animals (I have a killer arm - used to play softball). I promise I won't proselytize. Can I play? Maybe my t-shirt can say something like, "Pagan in training" or "Keeping my options open".

I even picked out my kilt:

post-1162-13535084718666_thumb.jpg

What do you think? Will I look pagan enough? Of course, we'll have to make sure kilts are not against Christian doctrine now; otherwise, I'm screwed like the rest of you.

Let me know. I'll bring cookies,

Lisa

post-1162-13535084718666_thumb.jpg

:crying:

Oh dear.

I killed this thread didn't I?

Did I come on too strong?

I don't have to wear the kilt.

:leaving:

Lisa

I think the pics on the other thread distracted us!!!! Come join the fun. ;)

:crying:

Oh dear.

I killed this thread didn't I?

Did I come on too strong?

I don't have to wear the kilt.

:leaving:

Lisa

I think everyone is too busy refreshing the other thread. And Audrey has to sleep *some* time, doesn't she? :D

Ladies, I am a YE creationist who takes Genesis literally, and I'm really offended by this whole thread.

I want a kilt. And a starter kit. I want to throw dead animals (I have a killer arm - used to play softball). I promise I won't proselytize. Can I play? Maybe my t-shirt can say something like, "Pagan in training" or "Keeping my options open".

[ATTACH]4964[/ATTACH]

What do you think? Will I look pagan enough? Of course, we'll have to make sure kilts are not against Christian doctrine now; otherwise, I'm screwed like the rest of you.

Lisa

You would look Adorable in that! I may have to get one myself. But is that what the cool pagans are wearing?

[ATTACH]4964[/ATTACH]

Lisa

:001_unsure: Hesitantly chiming in here for fear of killing the thread....but shouldn't your kilt be made of goat's hair?

:001_unsure: Hesitantly chiming in here for fear of killing the thread....but shouldn't your kilt be made of goat's hair?

Uh oh! We already discovered that it is NOT a good idea to google leather kilts! ;) Now, I'm kinda wondering if there is a "hide" kilt. :D

Ouch, ouch, ouch. More hot tea through nose... chai this time. No more reading these threads while imbibing hot beverages.

Uh oh! We already discovered that it is NOT a good idea to google leather kilts! ;) Now, I'm kinda wondering if there is a "hide" kilt. :D
Don't go there. Trust me.

The odd timing is that he is also currently releasing his own Bible curriculum for K/1st.
This is something that I really don't get and keep thinking repeatedly... I really don't think that a Bible curriculum by AIG is a competitor for the Bible curriculum written by Peter Enns. I think that they serve entirely different groups.

How many people do we see saying "I am trying to decide between MFW and K-12" or "Help me choose... God's Design or Prentice Hall."