Menu

House fire - getting smoke smell out of clothing?

Remember my thread yesterday about the family who had a house fire? They brought over some clothing to see if we could wash out the smoke smell. I just can't seem to get it out! Can someone help me out?

All I've done so far is run a load through the washer. It still smelled bad. Should I try running it through the dryer or would that just set the smell? I tried googling and all I really got was that a professional should be called in. They need clothes now!! I'll keep searching, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knew more!

When dh was in college, his house had a fire. All of his clothes smelled like smoke. The only thing that worked was having everything dry-cleaned. I hope the other remedies work for you, though. I think if I used vodka...the washer wouldn't get very much right about now. :D

The week before I got married, my aunt's house burned just about to the ground. This was 2001. Dh and I were on a week-long honeymoon, and then moved to the same city as she. I helped with cleanup, and there were two lifesavers for their clothes.

1. Oxyclean. Mix it at about 4x as dense as recommended, or pretend it's the only clothes washing detergent you own. Expensive, but highly effective.

2. For smoke STAINS, on clothes and EVERYTHING ELSE, McDonald's degreaser. :lol: I know, so helpful, eh? Check Sam's or other wholesalers for industry strength degreasers and floor cleaners.

FWIW, all of the scrapbooks they'd put together survived. The page protectors melted shut at the tops, and the pages were preserved inside the plastic. Any pictures that weren't on scrapbook pages or in page protectors were lost. Anything they tried to use to clean them erased picture ink as well; professional restorers apologized and sent them home. Plastic sleeves at least, save your memories. FWIW.

• 1 year later...
Guest Gracie24

I have 2 fake fur vests that say dry clean only.Theyare brand new and I don't want to throw them in the wash.How Can I clean them with vinegar and not be in the wash?

Edited by Gracie24