Menu

3rd grade spelling program questions....

Pster

This is what I'm doing for dd - we will begin "3rd" grade late spring / summer -

My plans as of now:

Spelling: using Spell&Write gr2 now - then will start????????????????????

Phonics: started ETC3 (as a bit of review) and then on to next bks....

Grammar: finish up FLL1/2 then start FLL3

Literature: book reports (How to Report on Books)?? -want us to start discussing the bks she is reading more in depth - might have her just do narrations on them - not sure...still thinking about this...

Copy work / Dictation / Narration: done in FLL3

Memorization: listening to FLL audio cd & Classical Conversations audio cd's?

Math: Horizon (bk 1) then start Horizon (bk2)

Science: finish Living Learning Bks 2 - use Science in a Nutshell kit?

History: SOTW1 - then start SOTW2

Latin: Minimus

Handwriting: cursive - use learningpage.com

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Music: use cd's & home lib bks

Faith: Explorer Bible Study; LLOTG; other home lib bks

My question - what should I do for spelling? I don't really want to add another bk to do but.... I didn't like SWO. We are using Evan-Moor Spell & Write Gr 2 and we like that a lot but....it includes the grammar and writing that she would be getting in other subjects and I dont' want to have her do an excessive amt of writing.

Has anyone used ETC for spelling words? Should I use the words from the lessons there for spelling each week?

Any ideas?

Spelling Workout ended up being busywork with no advancing in spelling skills for my average speller, and totally didn't connect for my struggling speller. Spelling Power didn't really show connections of words and ways to make the vowel patterns stick, so it also didn't work here.

Hearing good things about All About Spelling, but have no experience with it.

We've found Megawords to be *very* helpful (teaching/practicing vowel patterns and syllabication); it is mostly done independently by the student -- but it is for grade 4-5 and up, and it is a workbook.

Phonetic Zoo is done independently by the student; the concept is to listen to repeated spellings of words (grouped by vowel pattern), hearing sequential order of words, until the student learns the words. No workbook, but it is very expensive, and not all students connect with a completely auditory approach.

Natural Speller reminds me of a simplier, less expensive version of Spelling Power. It has spelling lists for gr. 1-8, touches on the common sight words, "words to know" (like days of the week, number words, holidays, etc.), and, as you get into the upper grades, some Greek/Latin roots.

It's simple -- pick a list, work with the words and practice however works best for your student, test, move on. It's not just another workbook, or more writing, esp. if you practice the words in this way:

- practice orally (3-5 min./day, 4x/week)

(You spell to child, child spells it back to you; hearing the letters sequentially, in order, really helps cement correct spelling; as the week progresses, have child spell first to you, and you repeat to child.)

- practice words on whiteboard (5-10 min./day, 3x/week)

(Show vowel patterns; practice roots and adding prefixes/endings which may or may not change the root word's spelling; "tell a story" and see the difference between homophones (like "meet" and "meat"); etc.)

- practice spelling while writing (5 min./day; 1-2x/week)

(Dictate 3-5 sentences, each with 2-3 spelling words in it, for the child to practice thinking/writing/spelling simultaneously.)

- test on 5th day of the week (5 min.)

Spelling in about 10 minutes a day, no workbooks, really working with/thinking about the words, with Natural Speller giving you the lists to work with -- ta-da! : )

Finding a simple spelling program that works has not happened here, so finally patched together the "best bits" from a variety of programs and what I wrote above is what we do, and it seems to work. BEST of luck, whatever you go with! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Spectrum Spelling, published by McGraw Hill

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=642616&event=1016SPSBF|528057|1016

Click on the level of spelling you're interested in, and then under the picture of the product are clickable links to see front and back covers; table of contents; and and excerpt showing about 4 pages from inside. Hope that helps! Warmly, Lori D.

I like Natural Speller - different approach - wouldn't add a whole lot more work to what we have now - and it focuses on spelling the words and patterns..... I marked that one down and will think about it so more but... thank you for mentioning it. I like the look of it so far.

I will take a look at Spectrum Spelling too. I did a search at christianbook.com so I don't know why it didn't come up for me! ty!

Sorry that I am slow posting but the beauty of this system is that you may actually know...

How about Calvert Spelling? It is a computer program with lots of games. There is a small creative writing component at the end of the lesson which can easily be skipped. The beauty of the program is that you can go back and repeat any of the games and even whole lessons whenever you want. I know that we have gotten our money's worth.

Arch At Home