Menu

Teaching Textbooks- Got Standardized Test Results Back.

NanceXToo

Guest gardengal

Amen, sister, that is EXACTLY what I have been thinking!

My mathy 4th grader may be able to do SAXON but HATES it. so where is the gain in that? I am thinking of starting her with TT4 and only doing the quizzes until she starts to get it wrong and needs to start the learning. Then we will just move at her pace!

My unmathy 3rd grader scores very high on math, but doesn't always get the facts. So she can go slower with TT3 until she gets them under her belt.

Thanks all for the encouragement. I keep saying it doesn't matter if I have the "best" or "most complete" curriculum out there, if the kids won't do it, it becomes a battle or discourages them, it is not the best for them. :)

Garden Gal

homeschooling since 2010 ;)

dd 10 - Grade 4

dd 8- grade 3

dd 4- PRE K

I was just speaking to a veteran homeschool Mom who raved about TT. She was telling me she had taken Algebra 2 to a local Public School Algebra teacher to get his opinion. His response was "Well, that's easy." She was a bit worried at first but then he clarified that it wasn't easy material, it presented the material in an easy to understand, very clear and accurate way. He was quite impressed with the program.

Hearing that made me very excited to use the program.

• Like 1

For those of you that use TT, do you have your kids use the workbooks, only do the problems on the computer, or copy the equations on to paper and then do them? I am trying to decide on which package to purchase.

I have my son do some of the problems in the workbook as opposed to all on-screen as I know him and I know he needs to write things out to understand them sometimes. We have the workbook because I wasn't sure if it was needed but honestly, you could easily just do it on paper of your choice.

We honestly haven't touched the workbooks since buying the program (using TT3 and 5). My kids keep a small whiteboard by the computer for anything they need to write down. Maybe I will skip the workbooks next year!

My son (using TT3) has never used the workbook either. Now I actually like having it so that I can read through the lecture the night before so see what he will be working on (I don't sit with him while he does math - i am teaching my other boys). So other than me reading it - it gets very little use.

We are in our second year with TT (both kiddos are using TT4 now) and up until recently, neither of them used the workbooks. But lately, DS has taken to doing all his work in the workbook and then typing his answers in the computer when he's done. I don't know why he's decided to do that but it's working for him just fine. I was thinking that next year I wouldn't get the books but now I guess I should.

I was told that our charter school does not think TT for upper grades is very good. They say lower grades are fine but upper grades eh....

By the way my kids are 4th graders and we are doing TT 5 and they are loving it. They say it is easy right now as we are on lesson 14 but maybe in a bit it will get harder, I hope! They say it is all review right now.

We are also doing Hands On Equations once a week and Key To Fractions everyday. They will be doing Key To Decimals once they are done with the Fractions. I will stick with TT as it is good review for them and just keep moving them forward even during summers. That way they will be done with it sooner and we can start with the AOPS program. Anyone do AOPS with the TT as review?

Our charter school also provides Study Island so they are also doing Study Island math as well.

I plan to also do MEP over the summer or something like that.

Meanwhile the kids are also doing the RightStart Math games along with their little sister who is in Right Start B.

I also plan to kill my kids with Singapore Math Challenging Word Problems and maybe the books themselves for fun during the summer.

Do you think this is all overkill?

Also anyone done Rightstart with TT?

Edited by happycc
  • Like 1

My kids love math and I do a lot of supplements. We do one lesson per day of TT in an effort to move through more quickly (because it is somewhat easy for them but they're not ready to move up a level). We also do Daily Math from Evan-Moor and Timez Attack every day. And next week I'm adding in Mammoth Math (one page per day).

I was told that our charter school does not think TT for upper grades is very good. They say lower grades are fine but upper grades eh.....

Our charter says the same thing. I believe it is because the scope and sequence of the upper levels do not follow the state standards scope and sequence of pre-algebra, algebra I and II, trig, and calculus. I think the geometry seems to follow the same scope and sequence as state standards. So, from all the research I've done (too much) Teaching Textbooks can serve a child well in middle school and high school, if one plans to stick with the program all the way through.

Do you think this is all overkill?

Also anyone done Rightstart with TT?

I haven't used Rightstart, but if you all are enjoying it and able to fit it in--why not?

But lately, DS has taken to doing all his work in the workbook and then typing his answers in the computer when he's done. I don't know why he's decided to do that but it's working for him just fine. I was thinking that next year I wouldn't get the books but now I guess I should.

This is what my DD likes to do for some reason. I've told her it's making math take a little longer to do it this way but she doesn't care. It's what she prefers to do.:)

• 5 months later...
Guest tschilling

Thanks for sharing. We need to try something different. Saxon and Abeka have not worked well for us. Even if it is a little behind, my kids are ahead of there grade for age anyway, so i figure it will work out. Just can't keep knocking my head trying to get the other curriculum to work anymore. To much of a struggle, must at least try something different for them and for me.

We did K12 math K-4th. Then we switched to TT for 5th up. My son used to hate math and cry. Since we switched to TT he has actually started to somewhat like math. (Which i am very grateful for!;))

He also took the CAT test last year.

Math computation- stanine 6 and percentile 76%

Math concepts- stanine 7 and percentile 82%

I have to add he was only supposed to be in 5th, but I had him take the 6th grade test, because we were working a year ahead.

I am VERY happy with those results and TT!!!!! Math is his hardest subject by far (he scored much higher in other subjects). I know they are a lot of people that put TT down, but for us it really works. Yes, it shows in the test scores, but more importanty- he doesn't dread math anymore!!!!!!:001_smile:

I NEVER thought that was going to happen! He gets tested next year and I am confident that he will test similar or even a little better. And my bald spot (from pulling my hair out in complete math frustration) has completely grown back!!!:lol::lol:

Edited by jessicamcc

• 1 month later...

We recently got test scores back so I thought I'd pull up this thread and add to it. My ds used Saxon for K-2 and McRuffy for grade 3 math and had an NPR of 66% on his ITBS in third grade.

After using TT 5 for grade 4 he had an NPR of 92% on his IA (the new Iowa test).

He did do one or two of the dark blue Math Mammoth books at the beginning of the year (I can't remember if it was one or two because it's been too long, sorry!) and some of the problems in the Math Detective book. However, we supplemented with Math Mammoth before this year, so that would have affected his third grade test too.

We recently got test scores back so I thought I'd pull up this thread and add to it. My ds used Saxon for K-2 and McRuffy for grade 3 math and had an NPR of 66% on his ITBS in third grade.

After using TT 5 for grade 4 he had an NPR of 92% on his IA (the new Iowa test).

He did do one or two of the dark blue Math Mammoth books at the beginning of the year (I can't remember if it was one or two because it's been too long, sorry!) and some of the problems in the Math Detective book. However, we supplemented with Math Mammoth before this year, so that would have affected his third grade test too.

That's awesome! We're not testing this year but only have I think 5 lessons left before we're done for the school year and I do think it went very well. Continuing to be a big TT fan, personally! :)

This was my first year homeschooling my 2nd set of kids.

We used TT5 and Key to Fractions for my 10 years olds and TT3 and RSB for my 8yrs old.

My 10yrs said TT5 was too easy for them but I liked that it was review for them. They really got to hone down their long multiplication and division.

I mainly used TT for review.

Next year they will be switching over the SM and MEP and BA and continue with Key to Series as well as Hands on Algebra and maybe AOPS prealg.

TT3 has been hard for my 8yrs old. It moved way too fast for her with not enough practice. She is on the slower side of learning. We got half way and had to shelve it. We also stopped using the computer with her because she just wasn't retaining the information through the computer. I had to sit and read through the lessons with her and work through each problem for her.

I will continue to use it for her next year and finish TT3 but we moved over to SM and MEP as well as RSC.

My kids seem to respond to a curriculum where I interact with them. SIGH!

Very interesting thread! Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Looking ahead to the high school years, I know I will have to defer to an independent program for my dd12 who will be in 7th grade in the fall. I lack the skill-set necessary to teach higher level math. Our option at this point is to go with a video/computer based math program. Tutoring can get very expensive.

DD is highly auditory in her learning style. It has been a constant struggle trying to explain concepts in a way that she can understand. We took a relaxed/eclectic homeschooling approach this year with dd going through the Khan Academy Pre-Algebra playlist. She was cruising along until she hit a block with the Algebra Playlist and we decided to take a break from Khan and math altogether to regroup. After researching other math curricula, we settled on LoF because of it's language based approach. Currently, she has 12 lessons left to go in LoF Fractions (she needed the extra practice). LoF has been working fine but I don't feel confident being dd's main math teacher (yes, LoF is supposed to be done independently but we do have to stop and discuss).

I've been poring over the TT website today and ignoring the claims lacking rigor, I really like what I see. I need a program dd will be able to do independently while gaining confidence in her math skills. She tolerates math because it is expected. She wouldn't give a flying pig if she never had to do a single problem again! Funny thing is, I was just like her!! Only now in my adulthood am I even able to consider opening myself up to relearning math.

She is such a dear.....sweet, patient, and kind kid. She is accelerated in the Language Arts department, will read for hours and hours, loves costumes and the theatre (both as a performer and a spectator) but math is NOT her strong suit. Maybe TT will help her get it done without too much struggle or frustration.

Well, anyway, long story short.....after looking both at TT7 and Pre-Algebra, I settled on and ordered TT7. The plan is for dd to work on it the rest of the summer, accelerating it as others have mentioned by giving the quizzes until they become a challenge, then moving onto TT Pre-Algebra and doing math year round.

Hope this helps us.

Edited by PenKase

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got our STAR test results back and I'm not happy. dd did level 6 and started 7 while in 5th. She scores well in the program. She scored Basic which is below level:( She did awesome in science at least:) We won't talk about her LA scores, I think she played fill in the bubble AGAIN grrr...

Anyway, our oversight teacher had her do the end of the year scantron test about a month later and she scored similar, they both dinged her for the same issues which are not taught until later in TT7. We will be adding something like yourteacher.com I think.

My Teaching Textbooks graduate got a 212 on his PSAT (98th percentile in math) and is doing well in Calculus.

I don't even think he quite finished Algebra 2.

:hurray: I was just reading the other "is TT behind?" thread, so I am glad to hear this! That's great! My kids and I are loving TT so far!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This is an old thread. But wanted it to be refreshed. I also wanted to add:

We are using RightStart and TT in a perfect marriage. BUT she is using level C 2nd edition for third grade ( a year behind, because it is marketed as a 2nd grade level book) and level 4 TT (a year ahead) and only partly through these books she scored a year and a half ahead than her current grade level. 

I plan to stop RS 2nd edition either after level D or G, but continue with TT the rest of the way. We love both!

We also just got a subscription to dream box

• Like 1

Thank you, Nance, for posting this. I guess there are many of us worried about the 'behindness' of TT. I wonder if that might be because people are comparing it to advanced programs like CLE and R&S? I think it looks right on par with other programs like MUS and Horizons.

I have looked at it for years for my older two. One struggles, the other zooms. Currently we are using CLE but more and more my oldest isn't getting it. The poor child is 14 and in 500 level math having to redo almost all of every lesson every day. Is there a lot of review of concepts?

(Oh and I am back to OM 1 for my younger set. I am so excited! See you at yuku!)

Is it partly from careless mistakes? TT cured my son of careless mistakes! When you make the same silly mistakes all through a CLE or MM lesson is it SO frustrating to have it handed back all wrong, and have to redo it. But with TT they make the mistake, the program tells them it is wrong, they see what they did wrong and how to fix it, THEN move on. And at that point they are MUCh less likely to make the same mistake on the next one. In fact, my son would just get annoyed at himself and try so much harder on the next problem. Even when we took a year break from TT (price, not any other reason) the changes stuck and he wasn't careless. That alone made TT worth every penny. We are using TT Algebra 2 now and will get to Geometry in the fall, He  refuses to use any other program now. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad I did a TT search! Abeka has served us well and my eight year old has actually said no to switching it to anything else but the idea of TT is very appealing. He is my electronics obsessed child. He's like an alcoholic with electronics, one sip and it's all downhill from here. So any way that he can use electronics in a healthy way and learn a little while doing so is perfect in my book. Compared to Abeka it seems a little behind but that's like comparing apples to oranges there. If TT can free up some of my time to work with the others, keep the eight year old engaged, build his confidence, feed his addiction to screen time, AND get him somewhere with math then sign me up! 

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread which I would love to resurrect to ask if all those who had success with TT are still having the same success?  DS is grade 6 and has been using MM for a number of years (currently in MM5).  He has always been a year behind due to spending a year with MUS in grade 1 (unsuccessfully).

MM is starting to become cumbersome for him and he no longer enjoys this program at all (occasional tears also).  I am considering switching him to TT but am so worried we could get behind again (like we did with MUS) if TT is unsuccessful.  After looking at samples, its not that I worry TT will be difficult - its more about the amount of negative reviews it receives for being 'behind'.  DS is on the math-ier side, I am not, so I need to choose a program that is easy to teach but one that will be sufficient for him, and not let him fall further behind.

I guess what I am asking for is confirmation that those who raved about this program earlier in the thread, are still feeling its success?

This is an old thread which I would love to resurrect to ask if all those who had success with TT are still having the same success?  DS is grade 6 and has been using MM for a number of years (currently in MM5).  He has always been a year behind due to spending a year with MUS in grade 1 (unsuccessfully).

MM is starting to become cumbersome for him and he no longer enjoys this program at all (occasional tears also).  I am considering switching him to TT but am so worried we could get behind again (like we did with MUS) if TT is unsuccessful.  After looking at samples, its not that I worry TT will be difficult - its more about the amount of negative reviews it receives for being 'behind'.  DS is on the math-ier side, I am not, so I need to choose a program that is easy to teach but one that will be sufficient for him, and not let him fall further behind.

I guess what I am asking for is confirmation that those who raved about this program earlier in the thread, are still feeling its success?

I would not consider MM5 to be "behind" for a 6th grader. MM7 is actually prealgebra, so if you are aiming for prealgebra in 8th and Alg 1 in 9th, you are right on target with MM. 

FWIW, when my DS completed MM5, he easily tested into TT Prealgebra (MM6 hadn't been released yet). If you really really want to switch to TT, make sure your son takes the placement test, because the "grade levels" of MM and TT are not really comparable.

I would not consider MM5 to be "behind" for a 6th grader. MM7 is actually prealgebra, so if you are aiming for prealgebra in 8th and Alg 1 in 9th, you are right on target with MM. 

FWIW, when my DS completed MM5, he easily tested into TT Prealgebra (MM6 hadn't been released yet). If you really really want to switch to TT, make sure your son takes the placement test, because the "grade levels" of MM and TT are not really comparable.

Thanks DS did the grade 7 placement test last night and did okay, but not great.  He actually did poorly in the fractions section - the other sections were fine.  I'm wondering whether I consider TT7 anyway and hope they re-teach or heavily review fractions.  This is my other issue with MM - its so busy that retention this past year (gr 5) has not been too good.

My nine year old is on her third year of TT.  She loves doing the lessons. She does very well with it. She's definitely learning and on grade level. For the most part I am very pleased. It saves me SO much time that she can do it independently. Learning math in an enjoyable and straightforward way is invaluable and TT definitely provides it, especially for kids that are struggling with or intimidated by math. I highly recommend it the program in general. 

My only little issue is, I really wish they would include or sell corresponding reinforcement activities for each lesson. I understand the program works by repeating and building on the material throughout the year and even throughout multiple levels to accomplish this. I just feel like it would be nice to have an extra activity or set of questions if there's a particular concept that needs extra practice. I've felt the need to create and assign drill sheets to reinforce things like memorization of the times tables.

Thanks DS did the grade 7 placement test last night and did okay, but not great.  He actually did poorly in the fractions section - the other sections were fine.  I'm wondering whether I consider TT7 anyway and hope they re-teach or heavily review fractions.  This is my other issue with MM - its so busy that retention this past year (gr 5) has not been too good.

One option would be to have him go through the fractions units at Khan Academy first and then switch to TT7.   After the fractions review he could also do the Pre-Algebra placement test.