Menu

Can I have the good and the bad of Christian Cottage Unit Studies?

rafiki

They look great to me and so tempting. The only thing I have heard that might be a possible negative is it is pretty much all hands on. So no worksheet type things to go with it. You might want to download their free Oceanography unit and try it out.

I have Vol 2 and plan to do some of it for the rest of the year and through the summer. The positives I see are:

- It has booklists but is not book specific. You can use anything on topic.

- The projects look doable!

- There is quite a bit of info included in the guide (enough for younger kids)

- The units alternate between history/geo and science

- Includes mapping (with answers)

I can let you know more as we get into it. I also have Vol 3 and Vol 1 is on it's way!

Let me know if I can be of any more help.:)

No answers for ya but I was wondering the same kind of things. How does this work out for people with multiple kids.

:bigear:

There are instructions in the guide for four levels - Primary, Elementary, Intermediate and Advanced. So you can use it for all your kids while having them work at their own level.

We really enjoyed what we used of it. It has been several years now, so I can't give too many specifics. I used it for older kids so I have no experience with the youngers.

The main suggestion they have for resources for background info is using text (science and history). If you lean more toward living lit for learning then you will need a good library or a nice supply of topical books for those two subjects.

I really enjoyed the layout and the way all areas are covered (research, writing, hands on, mapping, lit). One vol has a lot of Bible because of the time period covered, the other two not so much.

The way it is set up to assist with the different age levels is great.

To be honest I don't know why it is not more popular. I am actually considering doing this with my little one one day.

I can remember the ocean unit. We had such a good time. We, studied about the ocean, read a bio of the missionary John Patton, Mutiny on the USS Bounty, and my kids made a terrarium. They are now full grown adults with jobs and college, but one of them came to me the other day saying he enjoyed it so much that wanted to make another terrarium.

I have a review at HSR if you are interested.

I can remember the ocean unit. We had such a good time. We, studied about the ocean, read a bio of the missionary John Patton, Mutiny on the USS Bounty, and my kids made a terrarium. They are now full grown adults with jobs and college, but one of them came to me the other day saying he enjoyed it so much that wanted to make another terrarium.

Corrections:

This was the Oceania unit and it was the HMS Bounty.

I bought it a year ago but haven't done much with the actual lessons but have referred to them for ideas. Since I was a beginning homeschooler when I bought it, I needed a more open-and-go map of the day, and so I switched to Heart of Dakota.

However, now that I'll be homeschooling two next year, it is more appealing to me. I think I'll dig it back out and see what I can incorporate.

I too have been on the search for a unit study approach to cover History, Geography and Science with Biblical view. I had decided on Konos, but felt overwhelmed...I happen to stumble across the Christian Cottage website this week and was very excited about it. This is exactly what I am looking for. We are going to do volume 3. My kids are 7 1/2, 5, 3, 6 months, so I need something we can do as a family. I too think the lack of worksheets is a plus, my kids don't need anymore of those :)

This talk of CC brought up such fond memories for me that I decided to download the Oceanography unit and take a 2 week break from FIAR. We have finished up day 3 and during and after each lesson Dd gives me great big ol hugs...she LOVES this unit!! The amt of hands on -DOABLE hands on- is just fantastic. She learns so much from them.

For the present (after this unit) we are doing FIAR, but CC is a very real possibility for our future.