Menu

Switching from Horizons math to Math Mammoth questions?

mrshomework

Dd has been doing well with AO Horizons Math1 but I like the way math is taught in MM. I think she would have a better understanding instead of just going through the motions. I know it's on sale but I have read threads where many people supplement MM with others curriculum is MM complete ? I also see that they offer the light blue series, blue, gold, etc. I want to be sure I understand it correctly the light blue is considered a complete curriculum does it last a whole year? Do you have to supplement it with the other workbooks? Does anyone use it as their sole math curriculum? Is it enough practice? Anyone switched from Horizons to MM? Any changes to expect?

Thanks for your response.

Diana

Because it's on sale I was considering the CD or download there is a link in an older post sale ends 3/31. I don't know what would be better. I prefer print just my preference but will probable go with download. I am just afraid of virus problems I have to keep a few copies around in case one gets damaged. I know I have had computers crash on me and pictures, programs lost. I know better to get extra copies.

MM has saved my oldest with understanding several times due to confusion from Horizons. My middle is flying through Horizons and has proved to me HE does not need all the repetition. We orderd the Lt.Blue and are looking forward to changing over. We will be downloading, backing up and printing with a laser from home for about 1 cent a sheet.

We're going to switch from Horizons to MM soon (I think). I'm definitely buying the MM download. Even if I end up just supplementing with it, it is still worth the cost. My son does well with Horizons, but definitely doesn't get as much "why" from it. I add in my own 2 cents to help with that ;) but I think I'll need the help that MM provides as the levels get higher.

I may end up using the Horizons to supplement a bit as we switch over.

You should get the light blue if you intend to use it as a complete program. (the blue series is basically the same lessons arranged by topic instead of by level)

HTH!

We will also be switching from Horizons to MM. My son does well with Horizons (completed K and the first book of 1 grade in less than a year). I am just not satisfied with Horizons. I think he needs more of a challenge and to have more mental math. I hope that we are making the right move!!

Did you order the printed version or are you printing it all out yourself?

I am still considering this for my youngest.

Dawn

FYI, I just found out that if you buy the CD and it turns out not to work for you it can be resold. If you buy the download you can't so that is something to consider if you are not to sure it will work out for your family. This is what I read in an other blog.

I am using Horizons with my dd and plan to continue with it because she likes it, I like it, and she is learning math. However, she is really good at math and I thought she would enjoy some challenge, so next year we are using CWP from Singapore and MM (buying during the big sale so it's cheap and we'll have it through 6th). Just an option to consider since you said she is doing well with Horizons.

One thing I've learned from these boards is if something is working for you and your dc don't change it just because the grass seems to be greener! But, man, that is hard to do :D