Menu

Dr. Hive: I think I have a concussion, do I NEED to go to the hospital?

I was just in a car accident, rear ended. My head snapped back and hit the head rest, I think it moved forward to, I don't know. I instantly got a head ache. It doesn't hurt where I hit my head, it hurts in the front of my head and my face felt a bit funny for a while, although that is better. It's like a sinus headache feeling, like swollen, but more of my head than just my sinuses. I'm a bit out of it, although was able to drive home. I was a bit naseaus but didn't vomit or even come close (yay for an empty stomach). I don't seem to meet any of the lists that would require a CAT scan, and don't want the radiation if I don't need it. So is there any point in going to the hospital if I don't need a CAT scan and will just be sent home anyway?

DH just went to get advil.

I didn't lose conciousness at all, but don't remember the moment or two before the accident.....although I do remember brakes squealing and the impact.

ouch.

Were any first responders at the scene?

You need to go and get any pain/injury documented.

:grouphug:

Paramedics came, but I told them I didn't want them to check me out. They didn't seem to know what they were doing, and told me it was whiplash probably. But my neck doesn't hurt, my head does. Not badly though.

just foggy.

It is important to go since it was caused by an accident. You need to know if it is a concussion for sure, and if it is, how severe. The documentation is important. I'm sorry you are injured.

They are ciiting me for the accident, because I don't know exactly what happened, and he says it was my fault. The cop told me to go to court, because if he doesn't show up it will be dropped.

So documentation doesn't matter, because I'm the one paying anyway.

Go the hospital ASAP.

I was rear ended by a truck, had my head snapped forward and back. I felt funny but didn't want to go the hospital.

The next day I had the worst headache in my life. It was like my head was going to explode. Plus I was having memory issues and just confused.

Please go to the hospital ASAP.

They will probably do a cat scan and put you through some memory tests.

Apparantly he is saying I didn't yield when I made a right hand turn on red, and that he was already in the intersection, hence me being at fault. I actually am feeling better now that I got some ice cream in me, I have a feeling part of the foggyness was low blood sugar. My husband is watching me closely, and will take me if I have any worsening of symptoms. The hospital won't do a CAT scan anyway, because of new issues regarding limiting radiation, unless I meet certain tests, which I don't. So he is going to watch me for the next 12 hours and we will go from there. I will keep you updated, I promise. It was NOT a high speed accident, no one else is even sore.

Please go. Two words, Natasha Richardson. And, since you were rear ended, it is the other person's fault and theie insurance should pay for any care you need related to this up to two (and maybe three) years.

:iagree: The one who rear ends someone is always considered to be at fault even though I think there are some situations IMO where they should not be considered at fault. But from a lawyers perspective the rear ender is always at fault since one is supposed to be in control of the car.

I would go to the emergency room today in my opinion as a former critical care trauma nurse. Brain injuries can happen from the mechanism you described:(.

Apparantly he is saying I didn't yield when I made a right hand turn on red, and that he was already in the intersection, hence me being at fault. I actually am feeling better now that I got some ice cream in me, I have a feeling part of the foggyness was low blood sugar. My husband is watching me closely, and will take me if I have any worsening of symptoms. The hospital won't do a CAT scan anyway, because of new issues regarding limiting radiation, unless I meet certain tests, which I don't. So he is going to watch me for the next 12 hours and we will go from there. I will keep you updated, I promise. It was NOT a high speed accident, no one else is even sore.

Not true in regards to CAT scans from a trauma perspective last time I checked;)

They are ciiting me for the accident, because I don't know exactly what happened, and he says it was my fault. The cop told me to go to court, because if he doesn't show up it will be dropped.

I can't believe they cited you just because you couldn't clearly remember what happened. You get rear-ended, hit your head and can't remember what happened, so it's your fault? Methinks you need to consult an attorney after you go to the ER.

Guest Dulcimeramy
I can't believe they cited you just because you couldn't clearly remember what happened. You get rear-ended, hit your head and can't remember what happened, so it's your fault? Methinks you need to consult an attorney after you go to the ER.

:iagree:

I hope you are at the ER right now. That is where you should be. The danger is real. They will do tests. They will check you out and take care of you.

Go.

Another vote for GO!

You might not feel it NOW, but you have no idea what will happen tomorrow or the day after. If you are hurting now, tomorrow will be worse, guaranteed.

Also, in our sue-happy society, it is very important to have it documented. Sad, but true.

Are you leaving yet?

I think you need to go to the hospital. Actually, I really, really think you need to go to the hospital, chances are it isn't anything however if it IS something it can be major and fixing it isn't possible if you wait too long.

I agree with EVERYONE else! I also hope you're there now!

Why would you ask, everybody says it's important and YES, PLEASE GO, and you DON'T go???!!! :001_huh: This could jeopardize your health AND cause problems down the road if you don't have it documented that you had it checked out within a few hours of the accident!!! :glare: You need to cover all your bases--the two most important being your welfare and documentation!

If you haven't gone yet PLEASE go now!

Years ago, my husband fell while playing flag football and hit his head. He drove himself to our home, which was nearly an hour away. However, he just wasn't right when he got home, but it was extremely subtle. I'm the only one who would have noticed, and it took me a while -- I thought he was mad at me for some reason. I took him to the ER, and he had a CT scan. Just before he had the scan, he became himself again. So, I was mad that he was having a scan "for no reason" since he was now fine.

When he went back to work a couple of days later, he found out his co-worker's mom had died, because she didn't have a minor concussion checked out. She had bleeding in her brain, and she died a few days later.

I wasn't familar with Natasha Richardson that others mentioned, so I looked her up. Here is the account of what happened to her on wikipedia.

On 16 March 2009, Richardson sustained a head injury when she fell while taking a beginner skiing lesson at the Mont Tremblant Resort in Quebec, about 130 kilometres (81 mi) from Montreal. The injury was followed by a lucid interval, when Richardson seemed to be fine and was able to talk and act normally. Paramedics and an ambulance which initially responded to the accident were told they were not needed and left.[18] Refusing medical attention twice, she returned to her hotel room and about three hours later was taken to a local hospital in Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts after complaining of a headache.[19][20] She was transferred from there by ambulance to Hôpital du Sacré-Cœur, Montreal, in critical condition and was admitted about seven hours after the fall.[21][22] The following day she was flown to Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, where she died on 18 March.[1] An autopsy conducted by the New York City Medical Examiners Office on 19 March revealed the cause of death was an "epidural hematoma due to blunt impact to the head", and her death was ruled an accident.[19]

Go to a medical facility that can do a CT scan.

I'm very far from someone who would include please consult an attorney as well as the hospital but :iagree: !! Hospital and attorney are very important.

Please go. Two words, Natasha Richardson. And, since you were rear ended, it is the other person's fault and theie insurance should pay for any care you need related to this up to two (and maybe three) years.

I agree - sadly, Richardson refused treatment initially, then later when it was obvious she really needed medical help, it was too late. If nothing else, better to sit at the ER for several hours so THEY can keep an eye on you tonight!!!

I had whiplash from a car accident - it took MONTHS before I could lower my head to do paperwork, etc. w/o soreness - keep track of every medical expense as pain and suffering payments is usually figured with some formula ( like, soft tissue is 3x medical expenses, broken bones 5x - of whatever your insurance uses. I am just trying to remember how it worked out for us as it has been 20 years!!!)

I hope you feel better soon. A concussion you need to stay awake for a while, don't you? OR have someone keep waking you up every hour or so? The urgent care or ER folks will tell you what to do after you get a ride there and get checked out!!!

Unless there is a witness to say they saw you do a right on red in front of someone the police should not just take the other driver's word for it. You were rear-ended. The other driver has every reason to lie.

Edited by JFSinIL

Actually, the insurance companies will investigate too. They don't always concur with the police report. They take photos of the car, etc. We thought we were 100% liable in an accident based on a citation, the police at the scene, and the police report. Insurance company said no, after a fuller investigation than the police, and we were only 50% liable, the other guy 50%.

I would go to the emergency room today in my opinion as a former critical care trauma nurse. Brain injuries can happen from the mechanism you described:(.

this. now.

if it were one of your children, you would take them, wouldn't you?

please?

ann

I'm sure somebody has addressed this by now (not reading through all the responses) but you NEED to get this checked out in the ER. You may have a brain bleed! I've had several concussions and have done a tone of research on them. Yes, most definitely you need a CAT scan to make sure you don't have a brain bleed.

ETA: Some brain bleeds don't show immediately but can show up a few days later.

Edited by Denisemomof4

Definitely get it checked out regardless of whose fault it is. I do hope all is well. :grouphug:

Mentioned only to help some people:

For the record, in Virginia at least, you have to stop at red lights even if you're making a right turn. We have some trigger cameras set up just to catch this sort of thing. My son got a ticket when he failed to stop at the red light when making a right-hand turn.

Unless there is a witness to say they saw you do a right on red in front of someone the police should not just take the other driver's word for it. You were rear-ended. The other driver has every reason to lie.

Surely she knows if she turned right on red. If not, she wasn't paying attention. If her light were red, the other person had every right to go through the light.

Were there any witnesses to the event to say whose light was red? It would be important to know who ran the red light, but more importantly, she needs to make sure nothing is seriously wrong.

Surely she knows if she turned right on red. If not, she wasn't paying attention. If her light were red, the other person had every right to go through the light.

Were there any witnesses to the event to say whose light was red? It would be important to know who ran the red light, but more importantly, she needs to make sure nothing is seriously wrong.

She said she can't remember what happened before the wreck. Perhaps that's not because she wasn't paying attention, but because she hit her head and has a concussion. As for witnesses, dh and I were hit by a teen running a red light at a busy intersection, and not one person stayed around until the police got there, so it was just our word against hers. So she wasn't cited and our insurance company paid for our damages.

From a legal perspective:

A decade ago, I was in an accident. I was clearly, without any sort of reasonable doubt, the one primarily at fault (the other car may have been speeding and contributed, but there was no proof one way or the other of that, and I turned against a red light, so definitely at fault).

The amount my insurance company had to pay was reduced because the people in the other car didn't get immediate medical care or full follow-up, and therefore were seen as having contributed to their disability.

From a medical perspective:

As others have said, serious brain bleeds may not cause obvious symptoms at first, so you should get it checked out.

Sorry everyone, didn't mean to make you worry! I am fine today, I even went to work this morning, then a birthday party for a friend's twin girls this afternoon, then the mall! I'm tired, but just from a busy day. I felt better a few hours after it all happened. I think the foggy part was just low blood pressure/low blood sugar. I tend to get that way after any trauma, and I wasn't thinking about that as a cause until after I ate and felt better.

I probably should have gone to urgent care, and I was bad not to go, but luckily it turned out ok.

thanks for the good advice and hugs, and I'm sorry I didn't listen to you.