Menu

I have to brag on my horse.

That's him in my avatar picture. Isn't he lovely?

Tonight I rode for the first time in two weeks (because of the weather). This is my difficult horse. My problem child. But one thing this horse is great at--when I haven't ridden him for a while, it's just like he's been schooled every day. He's light. He's soft. He's round. He trots softly and canters easily. Lead changes are simple for him. He zigs and zags right in tune with my focus. He stops, he goes, he backs up, he goes sideways. He's just so nice!

I ride with a Parelli hackamore, which means no bit. And I ride on a totally loose rein, which--on this horse, the horse I used to hang on to for dear life--is a hard-earned miracle. But we can do all this stuff with no pressure on his head. It's really a lovely partnership.

Our big problem is emotional control when we go out. (All this niceness is at home in our boring, small field.) The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow, and if I get my nerve up, I'm going to take him on a trail ride. Deep cleansing breath. That's a totally different experience. My nice horse disappears and Chief Crazy Horse shows up. If we go out, I'll post about it. When the day comes that I have my nice horse consistently on a trail rides, I'm going to be a really happy horse owner.

Anyway, I just wanted to share what a nice horse I have.

I've had him 10 years.

There are (very short) videos of us here:

mms://wm.vitalstreamcdn.com/ipi_vitalstream_com/Video/7.wmv.wmv

mms://wm.vitalstreamcdn.com/ipi_vitalstream_com/Video/2.wmv.wmv

mms://wm.vitalstreamcdn.com/ipi_vitalstream_com/Video/3.wmv.wmv

I couldn't get the videos to work very well (probably my computer)... but I saw just enough... he's so springy/floaty!

You know you're one of my heroes with the trail riding thing, right? I haven't even gotten ON my own horse. I ride the kids' horses. :rolleyes:

We were doing really well with our training, but it's been so rainy lately (thank goodness; the whole state really needed it!) that my round pen isn't suitable for training at the moment. We'll pick up again as soon as it dries out.

You are an inspiration.

I had a mare like that. Turns out she was picking up on my nerves.

I started singing while riding and we both relaxed enough to get better. It must have been interesting to see the lady singing Jesus loves me on the Arabian in the middle of no where. :rolleyes:

John Lyon's Perfect Horse has an article on this in the current issue. Our riding instructor is constantly telling me to BREATHE, sing, talk, or whatever. It really does help.

Last summer we were ALL singing away on a trail ride---I think Jesus Loves Me was the song of choice as well---we had 3 younger girls riding with us.

Oh yes. I'm very conscious of all that. I pray every step of the way. "Lord, help me to keep my muscles relaxed. Help me to transmit calm through the reins. Don't let my leg muscles clinch. Help me to breath deeply. Make me a good leader for Ivan. Please let us have a good experience..."

This is WAY scary for me, but also very exciting.

I didnt' read all of his articles in this month's magazine yet but I did see where he talked about it being OK to get off and walk if you are really nervous. I think he is the one that said, "ride where you can, not where you can't" and build up from there.

Once because of mud on the trail, once because of a low-hanging branch, and three times because other horses came up. But I stayed on when a little animal rustled the brushes.

John Lyons was actually a big inspiration to me many years ago when I was afraid to even handle Ivan. I heard him say (on RFD-TV, I think), "Do what you CAN do, not what you CAN'T do." In other words, if you can't ride reining pattern bareback and bridleless (HA!), well can you send him in a circle (lunge line)? Well, then enjoy doing that and don't stress over the reining pattern. And that's what I did. I really concentrated on what we COULD do, which for years wasn't much. And little by little it added up.

So, last weekend, I could ride on a trail for ten minutes and only have to dismount 5 times. :) Maybe next weekend I'll be able to do a little more.

One thing to be positive about is that you CAN mount and dismount safely on a trail. That is good. I could get ON Romeo at the barn with my stool, bridge, picnic table, etc. It was the getting ON along the trail that was fun---not too many stumps where we ride.