Menu

What to do when Zyrtec doesn't work?

My allergies are awful right now! The citrus trees are in full bloom as well as some native plants. Whoever said to move to the desert to cure allergies was a liar! Even on Zyrtec I itch all over--my skin, in my ears, my mouth. I started taking some quercetin plus vitamin c but that hasn't helped as well as I would like. I can't double up on antihistamines, can I? Like take Benadryl too? The last time this happened I sneezed nonstop and my eyes watered too. At least that isn't happening this time. (Maybe the quercetin and vitamin c is helping some?) I think I might wear a face mask 24/7 until it all stops blooming.

I feel ya! I take generic Claritin but it only takes the edge off my suffering. My whole face gets itchy and I sneeze all day! Can't use Zyrtec--it knocks me right out. When my ds was on Singulair the doc said he could take that and Claritin at the same time. Ask your doc if something like that would work for you.

I hate Zyrtec and it doesn't work for me. I take Chlor Trimeton, though it is getting much harder to find in the stores especially the 12 hour version. I ordered a generic of the 12 hour version on Amazon that is working just the same so I will be stockpiling this for the forseeable future. Benedryl puts me to sleep, Claritin and Zyrtec don't do it all for me. You can probably find a generic 4 hour version (chlorpheniramine) to see if it works. I got the OK from the doc to take both that and Zyrtec together but I found out chlor trimeton on its own works just fine and doesn't make my head foggy.

From a post on the other thread... my son's allergist has told us NOT to double up with Zyrtec and Benadryl.

My son takes Zyrtec daily to keep a constant level of antihistamines in his system. If he's in a situation where he's having more allergy exposure, we were told to give Allegra (heard it should be OTC soon) and Cromolyn nasal spray (OTC).

We tried Singulair first (dh uses it regularly) but our son had side effects with it.

I find Advil Cold & Sinus generally helps me (I need the pseudoephedrine).

Good luck finding something that gives you relief!

I have seen a difference with ds using the nasal spray.

My Dr. said that I could take Benadryl but not when I take the Allegra dosage. They work differently. So Allegra in the AM and Benadryl in the PM.

BUT don't take medical advice from me or a message board when it comes to mixing meds. ;) You probably should see if there is a better med out there for you from your Dr. or maybe you need to get shots to get you through.

One doctor told me that you really need to switch brands every couple of years to keep them working for you. I have been on Zyrtec for quite a long time though and, for the most part, it does a pretty good job for me. There are times when I am worse for a number of weeks or a couple of weeks and I will start taking Singulair. It works in a very different way and you can take it with Zyrtec or Allegra (which I used to take), so you might want to give it a try.

One doctor told me that you really need to switch brands every couple of years to keep them working for you.

:iagree:

I alternate between Claratin and Allegra.

The thing that has helped the most for me is allergy shots.

Desert is not helpful, high altitude is. The only place where I was not allergic was over 8,000 feet. I was hopeful when we moved to desert and semi-high altitude in New Mexico, but no luck, it was just under 5,000 feet, evidently it has to be over 5,000 feet for the altitude thing to start kicking in.

We have never had any success with Zyrtec. My son took it for allergy/asthma and it never helped and was so expensive years ago. I tried it and it actually dried me out more than benydrl and didn't really help. We switched to Alavert and we are actually using generic form, and it is working so much better for us. Good luck but try something else.

ReneeR

Xyzal is the med for me. It is a derivative of Claritin, but much stronger. It is expensive and, both I and my allergist had to file an appeal for the HMO to pay, but it is worth it. Also, I use generic Flonase steroid nasal spray.

I have never headr of an elevation that prevents allergies. I think it is more related to your sensitivity to the pollens produced in the area. The west has alot of juniper/cedar plants and that is the second most allergenic pollen in the world.:001_huh:

My allergies are awful right now! The citrus trees are in full bloom as well as some native plants. Whoever said to move to the desert to cure allergies was a liar! Even on Zyrtec I itch all over--my skin, in my ears, my mouth. I started taking some quercetin plus vitamin c but that hasn't helped as well as I would like. I can't double up on antihistamines, can I? Like take Benadryl too? The last time this happened I sneezed nonstop and my eyes watered too. At least that isn't happening this time. (Maybe the quercetin and vitamin c is helping some?) I think I might wear a face mask 24/7 until it all stops blooming.

I know just what you mean...I have a feeling this is going to be my worst allergy season yet. I'm taking Flonase, Zyrtec and Patanol eyedrops and it's not even controlling my symptoms. I have no idea...I think I'm doing to isolate myself in the house until June. ;) Hope you will be getting better soon.:grouphug:

Ugh, I feel you. Zyrtec is all I'm allowed to take right now because of being pregnant and on its own, it is NOT enough. I normally take Allegra (during the day), Flonase, Patenol, Singulair, Zyrtec (at night) and 2 other meds I can't think of the name of, PLUS allergy shots and even with all that I still have terrible symptoms. Right now I'm just a lump of a human with being allowed to take only Zyrtec.

Poor Indy is almost as bad. He's on Zyrtec, but it is NOT working right now. We're trying to get him into the doc to get different meds, but they're booked for DAYS. Ugh.

Using a neti pot is really helpful (for me, Indy won't let me use it on him), because it clears out my sinuses and cleans out the inhaled allergens. If you don't have one of those, I highly suggest you get one. It is disgusting to use (I use mine in the shower because, well, it's gross), but works really well. I've been using mine for about 5 or 6 years now.

We also run our humidifiers at night and I put a few drops of eucalyptus oil in them (it helps keeps us open).

My Dr. said that I could take Benadryl but not when I take the Allegra dosage. They work differently. So Allegra in the AM and Benadryl in the PM.

BUT don't take medical advice from me or a message board when it comes to mixing meds. ;) You probably should see if there is a better med out there for you from your Dr. or maybe you need to get shots to get you through.

:iagree: Except I was taking Zyrtec in the AM and Benadryl in the PM. And my Dr. said not to do this for a prolonged period.

It was last year, when my allergies were so bad and I was trying everything and STILL miserable that I went off all of the meds. I wasn't any less miserable and was not having added side effects of the different meds. The weird thing was that I tried out this weight loss vitamin called FucoThin over the spring/summer. It didn't help with the weight but something in it helped my allergies tremendously! I took it till late August and I didn't have my normal trouble with fall allergies. I was just considering buying it again as this week my allergies are starting. It IS expensive, though, so I'm not sure.

To get rid of pollen-

Change in laundry room after you are done going out for the day. Wash clothes asap. Do not leave clothes from walking outside around house especially shirts/jackets. Pollen is invisible and not typically the yellow junk you see.

Put hair up and use leave in conditioner so pollen doesn't stick to hair. Wash every night if possible to get rid of pollen in hair and face or use baby wipes on hair.

Use neti pot to flush out nose asap after going out.

Use wrap around sunglasses to keep pollen out of eyes.

Take omega 3 supplements to boost immune.

Use air purifier in bedroom.

Cloraseptic makes an allergy blocker for your nose http://www.amazon.com/Chloraseptic-Allergen-Block-1-Ounce-Packages/dp/B001BNQVC6

petroleum jelly works too to catch pollen under nose.

Hope this helps :001_smile:

I take Allegra and Singulair every night. When these don't control my allergies, I take a claritin in the mornings also. I usually add the claritin during spring and fall.

Ds takes zyrtec every night. When his allegies get out of control I give him claritin in the mornings.

We do this with our doctors okay... Doctors said that this is fine as these are not the same and so overdosing is not an issue.